home

Author Topic: Rules question - Landship and charging (8th edition)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline indie

• Members
Rules question - Landship and charging (8th edition)
« on: May 22, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
Hello!

After a bit of advice, mechanically within the rules how does the marienburg landship charge?

Does it declare a charge (like the majority of units in the game) and the enemy can declare a charge reaction, or does it act as per the rules for random movement i.e. it doesn't declare a charge, so no charge reaction.

I have always played it as random movement but on looking at the rules it doesn't actually have the rule so I am not too sure now.

Thank you!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Rules question - Landship and charging (8th edition)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 08:17:54 PM »
Since it does not declare a charge, there is no charge reaction either. As its rules specify (Full Power): "The player may pivot the Land Ship in any direction in its front arc and roll 2D6 for the distance it travels.The first unit it contacts it counts as having charged (friendly units suffer impact hits but no combat is actually fought)."
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 01:53:44 AM »
Ouch.  Need to buy me one of them. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline indie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »
Since it does not declare a charge, there is no charge reaction either. As its rules specify (Full Power): "The player may pivot the Land Ship in any direction in its front arc and roll 2D6 for the distance it travels.The first unit it contacts it counts as having charged (friendly units suffer impact hits but no combat is actually fought)."

Thank you very much!
It does sound like I have been playing it correctly in spirit, even if it was because I thought it has a rule it didn't have.
Excellent point about not decalring a charge as well, I wouldn't have picked up on that!

Ouch.  Need to buy me one of them. :icon_lol:

I am lucky in so far as I picked one up very early when I got into the hobby; on reflection it was a daft purchase as at the time I didn't have that many models and got caught up in the fever of a big forgeworld order, but given how hard it is to get now I am very happy I did!
Only worked up the confidence to paint it a couple of months ago and it's a fantastic centrepiece!