home

Author Topic: All Cavalry - Wizarding Hat Special - 2000 points  (Read 225 times)

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
All Cavalry - Wizarding Hat Special - 2000 points
« on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:52 PM »
I'll be playing a game tonight, all things going well, and will be bringing the following list:

Characters
General of the Empire - General, Full Plate & Shield, Imperial Griffon (Two Heads), The White Cloak, Ogre Blade
Wizard Lord - Level 4, Dark Magic, Pegasus, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Lore Familiar, Armour of Tarnus
Captain of the Empire - BSB, Full Plate & Shield, Pegasus, Sword of Might, Talisman of Protection

Core
10x Empire Knights - Lances & Shields, Drilled, Full Command, Charmed Shield
10x Empire Knights - Great Weapons & Shields, Drilled, Full Command

Special
4x Demigryph Knights - Full Plate, Lances & Shields, Full Command, Wizarding Hat, Charmed Shield
5x Outriders

Rare
Steam Tank

This is pretty much a full send list.
The Demigryph Preceptor will take Hammerhand (per Peacemaker?'s suggestion).
The Wizard will fly around and blast/debuff things.
The Captain will lend a hand where convenient.
The General will terrorize what it can.
The new drilled and split profile attack FAQs means that larger units of knights are useful as they can widen on the charge to maximise attacks and narrow on a give ground if necessary.

I'll try and take some pictures and do a little write up.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: All Cavalry - Wizarding Hat Special - 2000 points
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 10:56:41 AM »
I feel like stupidity on your best unit is too risky… Inner Circle have Ld9 at least.
I also don't like that you don’t have any chaff, and I feel like you don’t have enough models.
Good luck!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 11:28:05 AM »
If you roll the breakpoint scenario, I think you have something like 86 unit strength, so one unit of knights dies and you are pretty much toast.

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 12:10:33 PM »
I'd be concerned about taking so few units for 2000 points, although what the heck, have fun and enjoy! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 01:33:34 PM »
I'd split the demigryphs into 2 units of 2. They are more maneuverable.

Let us know how the big units of knights work out.
You still have 8 units on the table so thats decent.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 01:35:51 PM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 01:40:02 PM »
If you roll the breakpoint scenario, I think you have something like 86 unit strength, so one unit of knights dies and you are pretty much toast.
25% of total army. Not 75%
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 09:20:11 PM »
The game was a disaster for me, not so much because of the list, but because of my poor rolling on armour saves and his excellent rolling on bows.

In the first turn my demigryphs were all but wiped out by lothern sea guard firing 16 shots, and then in the second turn the remaining preceptor failed his assailment and died in combat.

Once they were finished with the demigryphs the sea guard killed my Steam Tank with arrows as it slowly trundled up the field. I lost 3 wounds while moving, 2 wounds from misfiring, and the rest the sea guard took.

Again in the second turn a unit of 10 knights failed a 12 inch charge against sisters of avelorn and were wiped out by shooting the next round. (Had I made this charge they would have been pushed off the board, and his sea guard flanked by knights).

The other unit of 10 knights baited and counter charged the remaining 3 dragon princes who had died to a fireball. 1 dragon prince remained against 8 knights and over the next 3 rounds he killed every single knight making over 20 armour saves. My knights failed every single restrain test so never used lances again. (Had I killed the 1 lousy dragon prince, my knights would have had his sea guards other flank.)

My outriders and wizard took out 25 sword masters, which was my only win.

My general charged his (his general was on a griffon with a lance) and never hit in 3 rounds of combat.

Overall it was about the worst possible rolling I've ever had and the game was over after round 2. I conceded after my turn 3. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:24:21 PM by Athiuen »
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 10:32:12 PM »
 :-P There is nothing a list can do to defeat poor rolling.  :cry:   Have one  :::cheers::: and come back with better rolling I think.