home

Author Topic: Warriors of the Dark Gods fluff  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Warriors of the Dark Gods fluff
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:20:06 PM »
What do you guys think about the 9th age fluff they put together based on the 7 deadly sins and father chaos being the big bad?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Warriors of the Dark Gods fluff
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Haven't read it, is it a quick read?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
My brain rearranged this into the Warriors of the Fluffy Dark Gods....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Do you have a link to where I can find this fluff? From the sounds of it I think I prefer the GW fluff but I can't judge beforehand.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »
It can be found in the Warriors of the Dark Gods army book, downloadable from here: https://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?beta-page/

I like it, for the most part. It has some contrivances, but no more than GW. It is, for the most part, like a better thought-out version of the GW Chaos fluff. With dark gods that more closely match the basest impulses of human nature than GW's four gods, even though the latter are supposed to be just that.

What I found particularly amusing was the first part of the story of Ilarion Yanovich, a minor noble assigned command of Totvaros, a border town in Volskaya (a.k.a. Kislev). I don't know if it's intentional on the part of the authors, but I suspect it is: He arrives there and acts pretty much like he would in the Warhammer world, only to discover that things don't work like that here. He is flabbergasted to find out there's a temple to the Dark Gods in the town, orders it boarded up, to the anxiety and consternation of the locals. A bit later, a sizable force of Warriors of the Dark Gods approach the town. Ilarion mobilizes town defences and gets ready to die with his boots on, but to his surprise, the assault does not happen. Instead, a different party of Warriors comes into town every day, one party per Dark God, are reluctantly let in by Ilarion, worship at the temple and trade and interact with the locals, enticing some to join them.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders