home

Author Topic: Marienburg  (Read 243187 times)

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: Marienburg (updated 13 may 08)
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
Awesome dude. Awesome! I like all those models, but I have to agree with rufus that the halverd head looks kinda weird.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Wow! The mixed coloring of this units looks super and works very well together. :icon_cool:

Also, the standard with the Halberd head on it looks a bit top heavy.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Marienburg
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »

First is a a warrior priest of Manaan on foot. It's the legs from the hero on the old comand sprue, the armoured torso of a knight (I think), an armoured left arm from the Mordheim sprue, the halberd arm also from the Mordheim sprue, a 6th ed spearman sheild with the embossed portion cut & filed off, a head from the hairy sprue, cloak from the outriders sprue (arm carved out of it) and some bits of plasticart and florist wire for the trident head.

angulaThis was my first time trying to cut a weapon from plasticard. Consdiering the shape of a trident, it was a real pain, even considering that I tried to stick with something nsimple & r. I put the wire (as cord - I'll add some knots with greenstuff) to help hide the joint between the shaft and the stabby-pokey bit. It doesn't look great, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions, feedback, etc. are appreciated. Let me know if you think it looks OK or not. 

To enhance your fluff and the manaan thing how about green stuffing seaweed instead of rope and maybe a little anchor chain with clam shells on the end.  I am really impressed with your quality of work and conversions, keep it up.  steveb
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:46:59 PM by Midaski »

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »
You know 023, I think you inspired me to change my army from Stirland to Marienburg eh. Just the ecstatic colour combination alone is making me want to start painting in blues and greens and oranges and reds... bah! You are simply an inspiration!

sj

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
You know 023, I think you inspired me to change my army from Stirland to Marienburg eh. Just the ecstatic colour combination alone is making me want to start painting in blues and greens and oranges and reds... bah! You are simply an inspiration!

sj

@ Soju: Is that reaaaallllly soooo? Well what have we here, a traitor perhaps???  ::heretic:: Well Soju you know what, I totally agree with you  :-P the colours are outstanding, but instead of going over to Marienburg what I will do is to paint my 2nd unit of old greatswords in this manner.  This way they have more of the Landsnecht mercenary feel and I can justify it by saying that they are hired mercenaries.

@ 023: Can you please provide us with so more close ups of different models from both your units? I would definately want to try to mimic your style and colours  :eusa_clap:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
Well, like I said, I wasn't really that fond of the halberd top in the first place, so due to popular opinion... It's gone. I've added a simple flat cap (unknown bit, 40k maybe) and laurel. Forgot my camera at another office so no pics right now.

I also pulled the cord off the trident. I never actually glued it on because I wasn't sure I was going to use it. I rounded the base of the trident head off a bit. I'm going to paint it up that way and see how it looks, otherwise I may end up popping it off and starting a new trident from scratch.

I am really impressed with your quality of work and conversions, keep it up.

Thanks, that means alot coming from you -- I think you're the one that's set the bar pretty high with some of your conversions (and terrain)!

Muhahaha.... that's it... turn to the dark bright and colorful side.

Besides, we all know where the money's at...  :closed-eyes:

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
Yep. Right here. Mercenary army serving the Emperor! Oh yeah!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 12:45:36 PM »
Finished the first 5 Sons of Manann knights:

I've got 6 more horses finished and riders started.

I've got about a month to get enough figures painted to play in the Buckeye Battles Indy GT

http://www.buckeyebattles.com/

I've already submitted my list, so I'm locked in. Roughly, I've still got to finish:

* 5 Knights
* 9 Archers
7 Swordsmen
1 Mounted Warrior Priest
1 Helstorm Rocket Launcher
*3 HRL crew

The items marked * can probably be substituted with some already figures from my historical Burgundians if I'm desperate enough. (I'm also trying to finish 2250 pts of Burgundians for a Warhammer Ancients tournament two weeks later.  :icon_eek: )

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Marienburg (updated 16 June 08)
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
I love those knights, well done!  If you paint another unit just like that try using white/off white on the horse armor, kinda like you did on the lances, with that blue collar (not color, but the part around the horses neck) that would I think look really sharp.  Do not change these they are great but if you do another think about it.  I think that part of it would be psychological,  there is what artists call local color, e.g.; wood is brown, steel is silver and so on, well you successfully eliminated the local color reasoning on the knights armor and quite well done to, but then you use local color on the horses armor, it looks good, but deep down it reminds me that the knights armor is not local, by making them both break the rule you tend to make them in agreement with each other.  But like I said before do not, do not , change these they are excellent as is. Keep it up. steveb
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:08:10 PM by steveb »

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
Nice looking knights! :icon_biggrin:  That armor looks quite nice, and is a nice change from the standard silver (and occasional gold).  My only gripe is that the knights armor appears to be painted in a NMM style, where as the horses barding isn't.  Just doesn't look right to me, when paired together. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:17:11 AM by Volt »
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
Good idea, I may try repainting the barding white later on. Or just picking up another box or two of knights in case I want to try out a cav. heavy army. Either way, I'm going to have to leave it silver for now as I'm in a crunch to finish everything in time.

Forgot a few things on the list above... Also need to paint 2 musicians & one standard bearer for my state troops and 5 pistoliers (which need greenstuff patching on the seams of the horses too.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
One of the two musicians and a WIP standard bearer. This is the converted halbardier I previously posted. I ended up putting a simple "cap" at the top. Below is my "rough draft" sketch of the general look of the banner. Mainly just blocking out the colors & shapes to see if I like it.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
Re: Marienburg (updated 17 June 08)
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
Oh very nice stuff as usual. I love the hornblower's ... horn. lol.

sj

Offline Gjriff

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »
Dude, truly inspirational! Made me sit down and finish a unit of 23 swordsmen that have been staring at me for almost 2 months now!!!
Thank You!! :eusa_clap:
"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER. "

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »
Nice to see someone else who paints wildly. People are always suprised on how uniform a multicolored army actually looks. And the very fact that they don't think it would be uniform is the same reason most people who dislike it frown upon it. They would much rather stick to their bright exhuberant colors model after model  :-P

The advantage of going multicolor is that 1, it dosen't get boring. You can try anything you like and just toss it in the pile. It just works; it's your army! Another advantage is that you don't have to paint in assembly line fashion, tho you certianly can as zerotwentythree has pointed out. This gives generaly raises the individual love and charecter for each model, and in my opinion makes evryone a unique piece that you couldn't recreate agian for your life. Whenever I get bored and have 30 minutes to spare I just do a mini. It is really great.

Long ago back in 6th edition, when Games Workshop did the green and brown color scheme for Dwarfs at the time, I made a post in Bugmans about how painting dwarfs multicoloered was actually more fluffy than painting them uniform. Being that they were clansdwarfs and all. I was promptly bombarded with page numbers and fluff examples of how wrong I was. About how proud a dwarf would be, and that he would,"never go to battle without shiny armour or looking all rag-tag..". Then 7th edition comes along..  :-D. You know the rest. We get multicolored clans-dwarfs. Ahwell.

Grudgie

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »
I like the standard bearer - that banner should look great.

I still think the knights look too blue, but you get bonus points for not giving them shields.  :icon_smile:

Nice to see someone else who paints wildly. People are always suprised on how uniform a multicolored army actually looks. And the very fact that they don't think it would be uniform is the same reason most people who dislike it frown upon it. They would much rather stick to their bright exhuberant colors model after model  :-P

Very true! Inspired by zero23's Marienburgers, I have been repainting my miniatures in a multicoloured way. I think it looks fantastic! I'd never do a uniform unit again.

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
I like the Musician and standard bearer a lot. Stunning!

I like the knights too, but feel they might need a bit of high-lighting to make the armour a bit more 'metal' looking, but good for all that.

Looking forward to see your next works. Inspired to dig out some of those OOP figs I've got buried somwhere.  :biggriin:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:44 PM »
Made me sit down and finish a unit of 23 swordsmen that have been staring at me for almost 2 months now!!!

Heh. Was the number of swordsmen on purpose?  :lol: Thanks!

I still think the knights look too blue, but you get bonus points for not giving them shields.  :icon_smile:

I think that's the history geek in me. I just couldn't put shields on them.

Regarding the multi-color vs. uniform painting, I do a mix of both, in a way.

I will sometimes take about 8-10 figures (sometimes mix them up, so 4 swordsmen, 2 handgunners, a greatsword and a spearman... or whatever) and paint them using the same colors. Not necessarily the same paint scheme (one might have red pants, the other a red sleeve, etc.) But sticking with the same colors helps speed up the process giving me some of the advantage of assembly line painting, but in the end I still have a big variety.

Other times I will just paint a single figure, or a command figure, or try out a new color scheme like Grudgie said. And yes, it makes it easier to hide the ones that don't quite work out.  :engel:

Regarding the standard, I showed it to my GF to get her opinion. She's generally not terribly interested in anything involving gaming/miniatures, but I mentioned what I was trying to do and the concept of sticking with themes that were somewhat nautical and showed her some of the sketches I was doing for ideas for standards and she just started listing a bunch of great ideas. So I may be doing some more standards soon.

On a related note, do you think it would be out of place to add extra standards to a unit without actually having them have an effect on a game? Sort of like the images of landsknecht, swiss, etc. formations that had a bunch of banners, not just a single standard.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:21 PM »
On a related note, do you think it would be out of place to add extra standards to a unit without actually having them have an effect on a game? Sort of like the images of landsknecht, swiss, etc. formations that had a bunch of banners, not just a single standard.

I've been thinking about doing that as well. Go for it! You could even put them in the centre of the formation instead of in the front rank.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
You could even put them in the centre of the formation instead of in the front rank.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
Of course you can. Adding pennants on spears might be good.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »
I love your army  :biggriin:

I've just painted my State Troops in varying colours, with the main provincial colours made more common to show a common allegiance.

Painting them that way was a lot more fun, as I could make each one individual.

You're army was the one that showed me Empire could look good that way. :happy:

Hooch

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 01:09:13 AM »
I think that's the history geek in me. I just couldn't put shields on them.
Could you explain this?  So units of knights really didn't use shields?

I like this idea! :icon_biggrin:

Anyway ... for some reason, and I can't figure it out at the moment, but I'm having trouble with the shade of the blue on the knights.  Sorry.  However, the musician and standard bearer look great!  And your painting makes me want to paint as well!

Regarding the mixed colors of uniforms versus similar color schemes, I think both can work well, and it could be ok to have both in the same army.  If I was working on a Marienburg army, I could see myself having either or both at the same time.  With my Averland army, so far my color scheme has been close to the same across the different units of my Aver River Regiment.  Eventually, I could see broadening out with different color schemes to represent other units from other areas of Averland, and maybe even mixing things up across a unit as well.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »
Oh, and I also liked the look of concept for the banner. :icon_cool:

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 05:55:57 AM »
This is one of my favorite armies, and I'm really pleased with the new additions.  I didn't care for the banner bearer with the halberd on the end of his pole, and I think it looks much better now.  The Dogs of War general is probably the best painted version that I have ever seen of that model.  The hornblower is also quite nice.

I've been meaning to do something similar for my detachments.  Since they change around quite a bit, I was thinking it'd be useful to have a soldier with a small bannerette that matched the parent units banner.  This would make it easier to keep track of them once the game started.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.