home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679586 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1650 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
Err... Mathi, that was a pretty douchy statement about those painted models.  Not wanting to point any fingers, but you aren't exactly a pro-painter are you?

I thought they were fine paint jobs.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1651 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
It is not what I would have said - the detailed comments I couldn't make, as I lack the knowledge of the era. Still, they are (technically speaking) the worst-painted picts I have ever seen, and also the best, as they are the ONLY painted picts I have seen.

They look fine to me - simply painted, with a fairly uniform color scheme. I don't see how that is really a problem for basic, rude warriors - but perhaps (historically) they would have other colors on them. I'd be happy to have them in my army.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1652 on: February 15, 2013, 11:23:46 PM »
Philly, way to misunderstand my comment. No I am no pro-painter but I could easily have made a better job on those. Reason, I would NOT have painted them all into clones.
The fact they are all in the same colour is why I call it a crap paint job! Especially since they are supposed to repredent a historical group of warriors.
There were no uniforms back then. And certainly not among the picts. For a group of warriors to be that identically coloured you would have needed a cheiftain who was able to accuire a shitload of cloth from the same dyying, or from a very evenly coloured sheepstock giving the whole cloth a similar colour allover. A natural colour, that means undyed cloth, would be the cheapest. The colour in itself is not unlikely, it looks good. BUT that all warriors look like copies of each other is just wrong. I would have chosen to dress the warriors in tunics of different colour. One would get off-white, one begie, another grey and maybe some a cloth of a cheap dye, a yellow one for example.
The champion might have a fancier one, say red or blue, or green. He may be better of, having sword and all, so a more flashy colour for his clothes seems appropriate.

That is how I would do it and the lack of diversity is why I call the crappy painted. I would have called the paintjob crappy had they all looked the same but been of Golden Demon standard!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #1653 on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:01 PM »
Well I know, but it was a bit extreme.  I thought they were bland but not a bad paint job necessarily.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1654 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »
Philly, way to misunderstand my comment. No I am no pro-painter but I could easily have made a better job on those. Reason, I would NOT have painted them all into clones.
The fact they are all in the same colour is why I call it a crap paint job! Especially since they are supposed to repredent a historical group of warriors.
There were no uniforms back then. And certainly not among the picts. For a group of warriors to be that identically coloured you would have needed a cheiftain who was able to accuire a shitload of cloth from the same dyying, or from a very evenly coloured sheepstock giving the whole cloth a similar colour allover. A natural colour, that means undyed cloth, would be the cheapest. The colour in itself is not unlikely, it looks good. BUT that all warriors look like copies of each other is just wrong. I would have chosen to dress the warriors in tunics of different colour. One would get off-white, one begie, another grey and maybe some a cloth of a cheap dye, a yellow one for example.
The champion might have a fancier one, say red or blue, or green. He may be better of, having sword and all, so a more flashy colour for his clothes seems appropriate.

That is how I would do it and the lack of diversity is why I call the crappy painted. I would have called the paintjob crappy had they all looked the same but been of Golden Demon standard!

Well since they weren't actually being used to represent picts....
I didn't paint them as barbarians per se because I plan to use them in my Empire army and also as armed medieval peasants in my fantasy skirmish.

They are nice figures, so hopefully my paint-job didn't do the manufacturers a disservice.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #1655 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
Ok, sorry!

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1656 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
This sounds like a lot of the 'discussions ' of hysterical :roll: sorry historical gamers and one of the reasons I enjoy fantasy so much. :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin:
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1657 on: February 17, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »
This sounds like a lot of the 'discussions ' of hysterical :roll: sorry historical gamers and one of the reasons I enjoy fantasy so much. :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin:
::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::
BURN THE HERETIC!!!
― Thomas Paine

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1658 on: February 17, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
In March it will be 41 years of gaming ,so great to be thought of as a heretic not part of the establishment especially as in the real world I  work for David and Nick :ph34r:
as for the 'picts' yet another too speedy paint job hiding the potential and quality of the figures. :evil:
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1659 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Well I know, but it was a bit extreme.  I thought they were bland but not a bad paint job necessarily.

Agrreed paint job was fine- palette is boring.

And I don't think the minis are good.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1660 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »

Those obsessive sorts of people are in a minority among the historical gaming crowd. Most historical gamers I have known believe in varying degrees of "close enough."

And to be honest, I've met far, far more detail obsessed 40k gamers who will jump all over you for using the wrong shade of blue on your marines, or kit-based weapons, etc.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1661 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:56 AM »
People used to let me use my greatsworders as Doppelsoldiers, skulls and all!
Same with my friends brettonia / hyw english army.
― Thomas Paine

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1662 on: February 18, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
ZeroTwentythree I'm glad to hear that , maybe its refreshingly different in the US and too introspective in the UK.
All rule systems have their obsessive fan boys and not forgetting that most ancient historical information is either conjectore,fantasy ,propaganda written by monks & scribes /or oral history /legend by the victors.

GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #1663 on: February 18, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
 :blush: Or examined by archaeologists like me.

I am honestly sorry. Because I somehow assumed that the minis shown were an example painted by the firm that prroduced them. My aspie nerdiness went through the roof and I blew my top faster than you can say... Ah, you get the point. I never realized, thanks to not reading properly, that the minis were pained by the poster and were to be used as something rather different.

Ehhh... Carry on!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #1664 on: February 18, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
:blush: Or examined by archaeologists like me.

I am honestly sorry. Because I somehow assumed that the minis shown were an example painted by the firm that prroduced them. My aspie nerdiness went through the roof and I blew my top faster than you can say... Ah, you get the point. I never realized, thanks to not reading properly, that the minis were pained by the poster and were to be used as something rather different.

Ehhh... Carry on!

Good of you to apologise.... I thought as much btw, knowing you as a softie...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1665 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
In March it will be 41 years of gaming ,so great to be thought of as a heretic not part of the establishment especially as in the real world I  work for David and Nick :ph34r:

What's it like working there, must be great handling figures all day - Northstar are never the cheapest, but they are a good outfit and I buy a lot of my stuff from them ................. 

I usually see Nick at Salute, and Dave was there the year before helping launch Clash of Empires

:engel:

Like Mathi I did express surprise at the 'uniform' look of the paint job, as one usually sees that sort of figure given a distinctly non-uniform look.
I suspect an 'in period' paint job would see a much different reaction.
Having said that they are not a manufacturer I have ever seen much mention of before.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:24:59 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1666 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
 :Ohmy: Guys its Cameron and Clegg :Ohmy: not the North Star posse :blush: too subtle.
Mathi my sister is an archeologist too[dark ages] :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:58:11 PM by Von Trinkenessen »
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1667 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »
:Ohmy: Guys its Cameron and Clegg :Ohmy: not the North Star posse :blush: too subtle.
Mathi my sister is an archeologist too[dark ages] :icon_lol:

My  :engel:  not a big enough clue - oh wait linked to a politician won't see humour, sarcasm, irony or subtlety ............   :biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1668 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Nice one Midaski : official title public sector drone. :icon_lol:
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline sirolf

• Members
« Reply #1669 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »
I can't believe I haven't seen any of these in an Empire forum!! (Pro Gloria Figures)

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1670 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »
Ah, Pro Gloria. A fine little company. They have heavy cavalry in the pipeline, too.

Offline sirolf

• Members
« Reply #1671 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
Ah, Pro Gloria. A fine little company. They have heavy cavalry in the pipeline, too.

I can't wait what they'll do for their gendarmes!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1672 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
nice pikes! like them a lot.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1673 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
When I bought my last batch of historical stuff, I found a website where only some of the miniatures actually had photos- the rest had drawings.
True there are still some manufacturers yet to take advantage of the art of photography and the internet.
A lot of them still do most of their business from shows, though it is changing.

It is quite interesting to go to a decent show as you can actually see and handle minis up close. Sometimes even good pictures can give a false impression.
Scale is one concern - is it 25mm, or 28mm, or large 28mm?
Are the sculpts chunky - are the weapons heroic or realistic or somewhere inbetween?

Indeed a great paint job can suggest detail that isn't there.

Salute has to be the biggest and best at London Excel in April - most people of note are there.
SELWG in October at Crystal Palace in London is also quite good, though probably around one quarter to one third of the size.

There are deals to be had, but I usually make a list of stuff I want to look at - to see if it is any good and worth buying.
Quite often you can buy it better online.
I agree.  Nothing like seeing the real thing, or getting an in person deal on something at a convention.  The booth retailers have paid for a spot, plus their room and board, and they're looking to make an immediate amount back.  Sometimes that means putting up a last minute sale half way through the convention, and having patience on what to buy can really pay off nicely.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1674 on: February 21, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
Foundry has rereleased some WoTR packs, along with some ancient Germans and Babylonians.  They are offering these packs at buy 2-get-1 free for February.  Some of the armoured infantry would be nice for empire greatswords/reiksguard...

http://wargamesfoundry.com/
Does foundry ship to the U.S.?

I once emailed them some questions on product, and didn't get a reply, so I'm wondering if they even care about a sale to a little guy like me.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra