home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679623 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1850 on: May 14, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
Page sixty four
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1851 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
Page sixty four

Then he wants the Conquest Games Normans ....................  :engel:

and the gallery

http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/information.php?info_id=1

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:04:15 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1852 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »
Mine arrived though, so they do exist and get mailed to people.

It seems like many people have received theirs.  I hope mine are just delayed in customs or something though.  He said he was resending them on April 16... 4 weeks today.  If he ever responds to my emails, perhaps I will suggest paying for them to be sent with a tracking number.  I really want them gobbos  :icon_sad:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #1853 on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
I said it before, and I'll say it again:

In GW we must trust!

:icon_lol:

BTW, I have been PMing Midaski about who make the best plastic Vikings, Saxons and Normans. His advice has been good if somewhat kinky, but I want to know what other people have say before I grace my wife with more boxes with plastic sprues that I do not want or need. Yes I intend to get SAGA at some point soonish and want stuff for it that won't give me lead poisoning.

He says Gripping Beast but... You know he is old and I am afraid of his basement.

I can confirm that gripping beast vikings are some off the best quailty vikings I have seen.
I firmly recommend gripping beasts over wargames factory (I own both boxes)
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1854 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »
I'm not thrilled with Gripping Beast plastic Vikings.  There are issues with the box, such as 4 identical sprues, less left arms than right, only five spearsmen possible per sprue out of ten, no swords not in hands except for those in scabbards, command bodies are exactly the same as the one's on the regular sprues, and this all means alot of uniformity across the box, and thus less flexibility.  On top of that, they have a good deal of a cartoony flavor as well.  If thats your style, ok, go for it, but these are suppose to be Vikings.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1855 on: May 15, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
They've got a big range of metal figures. You could always use those for command figures. (Im assuming they have a similar look & scale.)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1856 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
Various opinions...

Conquest Games -> Looking Hawt!

Will probably get some boxes from various companies to see which I prefer.  :happy:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1857 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
Various opinions...

Conquest Games -> Looking Hawt!

Will probably get some boxes from various companies to see which I prefer.  :happy:

Which is what I did and you can mix and match.

The only slight problem is some have a ball and socket neck and some a flat connection, but any reasonable gamer can cope with that.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1858 on: May 21, 2013, 01:26:03 AM »
Just got a delivery of the Raging Heroes "Von Konigsmark" sisters and the warhorse-mounted version; exceptionally nice figures, wonderful sculpting, minimal flash. Really, really very impressed with them. As has been discussed before, a little "fanservicey" - but very nice nevertheless.

The knight will be forming the genesis of a unit of Knights of the Blazing Sun (or perhaps just a Blazing Sun commander on loan to my army, depending on whether or not I ever build any more Blazing Sun knights . . . ) and the three infantry heroes will be heading up the character division of my next army.

Definitely recommend Raging Heroes - lovely models, if a little spendy compared to some others.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1859 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:40 AM »
For those interested ... Warlord Games has a 20% off sale on boxed sets through 5/24.

I'm awfully tempted to order some of the Mounted Arquebusiers, but I got so many other projects I'm working on at the moment.  Besides, I sometimes see 20% off from retailers, convention vendors, and flea market tables, so maybe I'll wait alittle longer.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1860 on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
Isn't 20% off the standard for TheWarStore?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1861 on: May 21, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Isn't 20% off the standard for TheWarStore?
I don't buy from there, so I have no idea.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1862 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
It looks (based on this unscientific Napoleonic study) http://www.thewarstore.com/WarlordGamesNapoleonic.html that it is a little less than 20% off RRP.

TheWarStore is excellent - I have ordered from them before. They are a very good "go to" place for stuff.

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #1863 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #1864 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
wow, those look sweet, my wallet is allready crying.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1865 on: May 24, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
Exciting times. Hope they pull them off nice!
and in plastic? The plastic dwarfs are good.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1866 on: May 24, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
The plastic dwarves are very good and if the imperials are close to that....damn them for taking all my money!

They have a very Estalian look upon them though if only we could field more guys with pistols.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1867 on: May 24, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
Not bad at all!  :closed-eyes:

I really hope they get their production system in order, they are pissing more people off than GW do with that one.

The Dwarfs looks ace.
My hood is my castle...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1868 on: May 24, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Ok, but GW is still in business. :icon_wink:

(GP ... what are you doing? This isn't the thread for that!)

Good point. :icon_lol:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1869 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
Wow, those look really really nice!  Would make for a swell estalian force.  I can't wait until they release the first set in 5-8 years  :dry:

AoW makes some great stuff, but judging by how they fundraised $40k about 11 months ago to make like 10 units and a whole bunch of heros.  Even with that they have only released like 2 units and a couple heros since then...

As SL pointed out, they need to figure out how to work at a less glacial speed if these are ever going to see the light of day in any short order.  I would think they should have some obligation to finish the dwarft army before starting troops on another army.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1870 on: May 28, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »
I'm not thrilled with Gripping Beast plastic Vikings.  There are issues with the box, such as 4 identical sprues, less left arms than right, only five spearsmen possible per sprue out of ten, no swords not in hands except for those in scabbards, command bodies are exactly the same as the one's on the regular sprues, and this all means alot of uniformity across the box, and thus less flexibility.  On top of that, they have a good deal of a cartoony flavor as well.  If thats your style, ok, go for it, but these are suppose to be Vikings.
They make a fantastic shield wall. That's what I like about them, and why they are my preferred option. I do not like the Wargames Factory ones due to lack of authenticity, poor moulding (mould making?), and anatomy.

Swords are not a shield wall weapon, so not having them in hand is a historical thing rather than a lazy manufacturing thing.

But if you want open order vikings, you can do worse than going to:
Artizan Designs
Crusader Miniatures
Their metals come in cheeper than GW plastics, and the sculpts are lovely.
They do fantastic Saxons and Normans also.

The new GB plastic "generic" Dark Age warriors are pretty cool also, and are in less regimented poses to show they are shite troops.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #1871 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
http://www.avatars-of-war.com/esp/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=127

more cirlea scetches (scroll down)
it looks like they're bringing lion cavalry and some sort of hochlandlongriflerepeatingcrossbow

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1872 on: May 28, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »
I saw those other sketches, but I refuse to get excited until I actually see them up for order.  :icon_neutral:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1873 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
I have this mad urge to try and add these to my Kislev forces - not sure what sort of unit they could be.

During the Retreat from Moscow, Colonel Marbot seeing that his regiment, the 23rd Chasseurs a Cheval, was falling apart, decided to dismount them, use their remaining horses to pull two-man peasant sledges easily found in local villages. The 23rd formed up with the 24th Chasseurs a Cheval to create a sledge born brigade. At night these formed squares which were frequently used by Marshal Ney and General Maison for shelter. Each man was ordered to have two muskets to enable them to resist attacks with ‘the liveliest musketry’.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1874 on: June 03, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
They would be about the right size to be Demigryphs.