home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679691 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #2400 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »
I wonder why they would put such crests on a helmet. Wouldn't they catch blades and increase the hurt for the wearer, snapping his head about?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2401 on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »
The more I look at it, the more I like the rest of it.  The head/face itself does not seem overly large, just the helmet makes it look bigger, which, I guess is normal for a helmet.  The text associated with the picture:

Michael Anderson did it again! The 3rd landsknecht is finished - this time with a special helmet which became quite common through the first half of the 16th century: The "Sturmhaube" (Burgonet). This pair of arms has some heavy cover in terms of bracers which were for more wealthy soldiers because of the high price and the tailor-made fit. Michael is working on the 4th landsknechts and I am pretty sure you will see results within this week!

Please keep in mind that arms, heads and bodies are seperate pieces so you will get quite vast variation possibilites.

I guess if you don't like that head, you can always not use it.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #2402 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
I wonder why they would put such crests on a helmet. Wouldn't they catch blades and increase the hurt for the wearer, snapping his head about?

That's what I was also wondering...

I'm no expert, but those crests seem impractical both in action and for maintenance.
The one in the middle probably has some function in the integrity of the helmet, but those two lateral crests seem to have no function.

Perhaps it was fashion, just like the puff-and-slash clothing?
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2403 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »
The real world often being stranger than fiction I guess the additional crests are liberty of the sculptor

but there are some very decorative ones.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2404 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
I doubt the decorative ones were intended for use in actual, deadly battle. Parades etc, oh yeah!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #2405 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »
No, the triple-crested burgonet was very much a real thing.

Still, the figure does look somewhat bobbleheaded.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2406 on: July 31, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
The quadruple crested ones were better imho. To be more accurate they were one better.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2407 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »
are the crested burgonet's crests decorative, or practical?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2408 on: July 31, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
Practical - added protection against blows of swords.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2409 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
With the crenellations (for lack of the correct word) designed to catch the blade?

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2410 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
Not sure - those may have been decorative only.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2411 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
it's a shame they havent managed to convert that cool looking helmet to a good looking mini.
well, the body is fine just a dodgy head. Good job I'll be able to use a different head.

Pass the machete.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2412 on: July 31, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
Practical - added protection against blows of swords.

I think so too. I assume these things would distribute the force of a blow over a wider area, preventing a dangerous dent in one place.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2413 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
No, the triple-crested burgonet was very much a real thing.

Still, the figure does look somewhat bobbleheaded.

Agreed. Here are two more helmets, whose design seem to have influence the sculptor.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #2414 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
Have the guys from Pro gloria said anything about the price of these miniatures?

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #2415 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
It's a female with realistic breastplate. I've read somewhere the breastplates with boobs we all know and love in fantasy would most likely kill the wearer instead of save her.

Maybe it's not ideal in terms of deflecting weapons trajectories, but if the wearer has mass (be it breasts or otherwise) it needs to be accommodated somehow. Armour for men with  large belly had to accommodate their physique, right?  Not trying to be a smart-ass, just realistic. I don't think I've found as much to criticize about women's fantasy armour that accommodates their physique so much as I can be critical of stupid armour that leaves a lot of it exposed.

That particular figure does look female, though. And that's something that doesn't always require huge beasts (in spite of most fantasy & sci-fi art...) and it's a credit too the sculptor they got that across. It's a nice sculpt.

just as an addition, this is my mate Sandy.

She is athletic - runs, swims and fights a lot.

You need to be athletic to fight in that lot. Athletic normally means smaller breasts.

Last year she outlasted most of us fighting in 30+ degrees centigrade of heat.

Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2416 on: August 01, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
Great picture!

Looks right out of a movie.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2417 on: August 02, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »
This is not entirely Empire related, but today I received a traditional paper advertisement in the mail for this...

http://www.johnnyborgcastings.com/complete-set-of-80/road-kill-corpses-complete-set-of-80/

...and was a bit amused.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #2418 on: August 02, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »
Awesome picture, Donnachaidh! Is that a warhammer she's holding?

Also, that Hasslefree Greatsword is excellent. Kev White surely makes some gorgeous stuff. I want to buy that mini and paint it pink, just because.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2419 on: August 02, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
Some kind of polearm, methinks.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #2420 on: August 02, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »
Poor Poles.

Offline Pro Gloria Miniatures

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Gloria-Miniatures/295957277188332
« Reply #2421 on: August 04, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Hi all!

Stephan here from Pro Gloria Miniatures -White Knight sent me! I really want to say a big thank you to all your nice comments! here are the latest news:

Michael Anderson (yes, he done the Great Swords, Island of Blood, and many more for GW!) has finished the 4th Landsknecht now (or almost! Just some more puffy clothign within the slashes need to be sculpted!)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask anytime! I will 100% reply to them!  :mellow:

All the best

Stephan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2422 on: August 04, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
Gs and IoB models are ace. This bloke should clearly be sculpting everything for GW!

then again, he can do stuff for you and we can buy it cheaper :D

the 4th landsknecht is, as expected, ace.

only criticism is the size of the guy's helmet!

Pass the machete.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #2423 on: August 04, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
Awesome! This just keeps getting better and better...

I have a question.
Although it's too early to ask for the price, do you have any plans about the contents of the box?
How many miniatures are you planning to squeeze in?

Also, you already have at least one eager customer.   :-P

Offline Pro Gloria Miniatures

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Gloria-Miniatures/295957277188332
« Reply #2424 on: August 04, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
Thank you guys!

@Silver Wolf: I can't give any detail about the price (but in the region between 16€ - 20€). But I can tell you something about the content of the box :)
It will include 24 miniatures. 2 x 10-men frame plus 2 x 2-men command frame. In the rank and file frame you will have options to 20 - 30 different heads, including soem spare hats and feathers. There will be arm pairs for front and second rank pikes. if all goes well (this means, that there is enough spare room n the frame!) there will be options for all soldiers on swords and bucklers, spears and maybe some single great swords for first ranks.
The command frame will include one full Maximilian Style armour and one half-armour. Options beside standard bearers and different instruments for musicians will be given as well as options on maces, warhammers, axes, swords and great swords. Also some single arms for command poses and pointing etc.

In the set will be a rather small leaflet (around 20 pages) full of historical background, assembling guides and painting guides. On a single sheet made of light paper, there will be some flags (around 4 - 8 different ones for germans, swiss, french and italians).

No bases will be included as I find that most gamers do bin their bases or do not use them at all. So I can leave them away and keep the price a bit down in that way.

@Finlay: Thanks for your comment and your kind critic!  :happy: You are right on the size of the helmet: it's huge! In reality, the helmets were actually that big. They were the next generation of the "Hirnhaube" (Cervelliere) and had to protect the entire helmet but without taking away the owner's sight. because of that, the visor had to be longer so it could still catch the nasty sword blows in the hand to handcombat. The crests were addes as well to keep away the swords blows.

As our miniatures are hero scale like and not true scale (our miniatures anatomy is simply not correct but appeal nice to the eyes) the heads are quiet big and already too huge for the smaller torsos. Because of that, it's no wonder that the helmet (which is big!) makes the head even look bigger  :biggriin: I will guarantee that this head will not stay out on the battlefield and will look quiet cool! If you do not think so, you can use the other heads in the box - there will be plenty!

Thanks a lot guys,

Stephan