home

Author Topic: 'New' 7th Ed - Artwork  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Hendrid

• Members
'New' 7th Ed - Artwork
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:09:01 PM »
Got the rules today, hmm. we'll see once I've read them, but has anyone else noticed that almost all the art work in the new book is mostly old 6th ed artwork? Except a couple single pagers and some small 'in the corner' stuff.

Whats the matter GW, can't afford the artists fees any more!

It was one thing I was looking forward to was some nice piccies in the new book, that you've always got in the past, but this was a dissappointment. An index would have been nice too.

We'll see what the rules are like soon. Not off to a great start though. :-(

Offline Fafnir

• Members
Re: 'New' 7th Ed - Artwork
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »
An index would have been nice too.
We'll see what the rules are like soon. Not off to a great start though. :-(

There is an index, a pretty good one too, in the back of the book. I got mine today as well, and I loved it.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Hieronymous

• Members
  • aka. Alfginnar Oakenshield or Alf
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »
I actually like the artwork in the new book - there is quite a lot of he old stuff, but all the new is ace...

'Course mine is the Collectors Edition. Peut-être there's a difference?

~Hieronymous
Quote from: Warlord
Actually, the amount of Scrabble boxes you would need to buy to obtain enough Q's to meet minimum unit size would roughly correlate to GW's prices…

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »
if the wizard art from the top of the lore sections are an indication of new range then I am definately getting some new wizards!
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:15:47 PM »
I must say I'm not all that fond of the new art in the 7th Ed BRB - a lot of it looks like it should have gone into the Inquisition codexes for 40K. It looks awesome on its own but it pushes things a little bit too far for the Empire, I think. We'll see how dominant this imagery is in the new Empire book, and how it translates to models and the army as a whole.

I was pleased to see some of the best "really really old" art in the book - notably the "bash your chin off" at the front and the scenic Knight Panther somewhere around the middle.

The new little pictures that go randomly in between the text are nice enough too. Aesthetically, I think this book does well.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Lenny

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:46:12 PM »
I have to agree with the General here. The book is very well presented, the layout is well done, it's very easy to look at and the new index makes rules a lot easier to find.
I like stories.

Offline cripple

• Members
  • We have found a witch. May we burn her?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 03:46:08 PM »
I have the Mini book and I am not at all impressed with the artwork.The pictures with all of the little ribbons with text on them look cartoonish and out of place. If they took ALL of those out it would be OK. Maybe when I get my hands on the Big One I'll be more impressed with what is in the back end.
Cripple - back from the "real world."

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
Dang, I want that book! :-D

Does the Pocket book have ALL the rules or just some?, because i dont see any basic rule book in the Battle for skull pass box.
Some friends and i ordered a couple of the skull pass boxes and i am getting one of the rule books, i just hope the big one is in it.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline cripple

• Members
  • We have found a witch. May we burn her?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »
Small book has everything except for fluff and pics and junk in the back. Small book is only magazine quality paper and WILL wear out eventually.
Cripple - back from the "real world."

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 05:09:26 PM »
Ooops! I missed the index. See that now, good thats a big differance.

I do agree with Lenny that the book is well presented and because of that, easier on the eye.

I also agree with the General about the big new pictures of the Empire being very 40K gothic. They're obviously by the same artist. We'll see if these, or the imagery are repeated in the AB in the Spring. Mixed feelings about that one.

It's not that I don't like the artwork, it's just that more new piccies would have been nice. Maybe they're saving up the good stuff for the  ABs. :lol:

Offline Hieronymous

• Members
  • aka. Alfginnar Oakenshield or Alf
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
It's not that I don't like the artwork, it's just that more new piccies would have been nice. Maybe they're saving up the good stuff for the  ABs.

One can always hope.

I haven't had the chance to look at the mini-rulebook, but I can say that the Collectors Edition is absolutely awesome. Very good setup, nice parchment style "skin", thick, heavy, copper egded pages and lovely tapestry cover - all in all a masterpiece.

The artwork I like most is the wizards beside their respective lores and the small personal combats that appears here and there. Druchii vs. asur, goblin vs. dwarf, white wolf vs. skellies and bright wizard vs. beastman. These are just great!

~Hieronymous
Quote from: Warlord
Actually, the amount of Scrabble boxes you would need to buy to obtain enough Q's to meet minimum unit size would roughly correlate to GW's prices…

Offline RGB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »
The "new" stuff looks awesome but is a bit TOO 40K for my liking. Exactly as I feared.
[in the good of life]

Offline Evan Mullins

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »
A friend of mine bought the Battle for Skull Pass boxed set, and I have to say that I am a big fan of the smaller rulebook.  It is a lot more handy, and as I was playing across a large table it was easy to toss it to a player that needed it.  I find that the large rule book can just be too unwieldy and the fluff can get irritating to sift through in my opinion.  I only tend to read the fluff after having the book for a month or so anyway so it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Offline PissedYeti

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 05:17:18 PM »
I love both of the books. The big one is well laid out and aesthetically pleasing to the eye while the smaller one is perfect for travel and easy to figure out. There are some pretty over the top Empire pictures in the new rulebook though. The Flagellents is the one that comes to mind but it is also the one where one of the loons had his hands removed and Imperial puppets put in their place. I don't know why I thought that was funny ...
Non Omnia Moriar

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »
and the scenic Knight Panther somewhere around the middle.

This is one that I noticed and was pleased to see all the way back from at least 5th  :-) I am slowly going through mine, and am seeing some really nice pictures. But then I never really 'owned' the previous editions' rulebooks...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline NerrothLTA

• Members
  • To pacify the stars
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 10:41:04 PM »
I like the little nods here and there, such as the Warmaster reference on the page showing the front cover art for Warmaster!

Warmaster is great.

Hate the new Empire artwork though - far too skully/ridiculously oversixed/flaggelantey for me. Ugh. And don't get me started on the skeleton equivalent of the Primarchs posing at the recruiting station...

If this is what will be in the Empire book, I'll be very disappointed. I don't want the Empire to be the Imperium.

Gary
Epic Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers
v7.3 pdf

Humans for the tau