home

Author Topic: "The Empire at War"?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Talonz

• Members
"The Empire at War"?
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »
Found this by total fluke today, anyone have any more info on whats really inside?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040281008&type=Book#

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
Re: "The Empire at War"?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:39:02 AM »
No Idea, but very curious about it. Could be nothing more than fluff, but it may hold some decent tactical ploys.

Actually, probably not - it'll just be fluff, but since I'm into that kind of thing, It's on my list of things to get.  :-D
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Hieronymous

• Members
  • aka. Alfginnar Oakenshield or Alf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »
The book examines some of the most (in)famous battles in Empire history.

It should contain maps, illustrations, describsions of forces, tactics, important characters and following events.

Definately worth a look IMO - If only one had the money...

~Hieronymous
Quote from: Warlord
Actually, the amount of Scrabble boxes you would need to buy to obtain enough Q's to meet minimum unit size would roughly correlate to GW's prices…

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:20:20 PM »
That looks very good!

I'll have to check into that one.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 04:44:34 PM »
What will the cost be, it looks sweet!
I'm in college!

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »
Oh sweet sigmar...Need to buy that! but with no money it will take some time to get  :cry:

found it on amazon as well. Its a bit more expensive...surprisingly
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-War-Greatest-Battles-Imperial/dp/1844164152/sr=1-28/qid=1165687100/ref=sr_1_28/202-5527116-1121429?ie=UTF8&s=books

Dendo, it will cost £15.00 / $29.99
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:00:11 PM by McKnight »
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »
Even from Amazon, still won't be able to get it for another 2 -3 weeks...
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Davros

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:57:18 PM »
Got it last weekend and it is a very good book .  It outlines five great battles from the Empire's past from an academic  point of view through the eyes of a retired Grandmarshall  . The battles covered are Hel Fenn, Blackfire Pass with Sigmar , Battle for Kislev's Gate with Magnus the Pious in the first Chaos war . Also the Battle of the Talabec from the Empire civil war in 1360 IC concerning  Elector Count Of Stirland 's forces  and  Otitilia Countess Of Talabecland first clash at the river Talabec . Very lavishly illustrated with maps, and art depicting the Empire units and personalities in the battles . Good for aspiring Generals to read with the NEB on it's way . But a bit expensive at £15 . Might make  a nice xmas pressie for you guys from the missus or relatives . Better than the  SOC book released in 2005 IMO .

Offline Talonz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »
But does it give any details useful for wfb?  Ie:any details on the stirland scarlet guard, knightly orders, province background etc. that we dont already know from reading the battle fiction in wd or our army books?

Offline NerrothLTA

• Members
  • To pacify the stars
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:12:27 PM »
I'd almost say it was better for Warmaster (well, the larger battles, at least) - that system can capture the grand sweep of combat far better than Warhammer can.

Nice book, by the way!

Gary
Epic Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers
v7.3 pdf

Humans for the tau

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 02:02:17 AM »
It annoys me that this was found by fluke...

I've known about this for about sixth or seven months. Honestly people should be reading more of the BL novels and larger 'pretty' background books, its where the background is people. so yes no-doubt this book has more in it than the ever dissapearing battle fiction in WD and the select pieces in the AB's.

I think there would be less complaining about what the empire and the WH world in general is actually like if people read about it. There has always seemed to be a general snobbery aimed at BL by pure gamers which really pisses me off, especially when they start complaining about model ranges, and rules.

The book 'Blood on the Reik' was not a joke!
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Dain of the Border Legion

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

I've known about this for about sixth or seven months. Honestly people should be reading more of the BL novels and larger 'pretty' background books, its where the background is people. so yes no-doubt this book has more in it than the ever dissapearing battle fiction in WD and the select pieces in the AB's.

I think there would be less complaining about what the empire and the WH world in general is actually like if people read about it. There has always seemed to be a general snobbery aimed at BL by pure gamers which really p***** me off, especially when they start complaining about model ranges, and rules.

Rant mode on bravestar robo engineer activated.

Blood on the Reik is more like 'Blood everywhere but on the Reik' in fairness. Not everyone has time to read BL novels though so its a little unfair to judge people this harshly and although I read, I don't read the BL books so the only information I have is from here and the rulebook and army books. I have not experianced the general snobbery you speak of from gamers so that I cannot comment on but I'll tell you what p***** me off, people who have read the books taking umbridge at people who havent. We are all involved in this hobby for different reasons, the last thing we need is fragmented sections within the hobby having a pop at each other when we are all using what little free time we have to do something we love.

Rant mode deactivated.

Dain

Edited for bad language, apologies.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:52:29 PM by Dain of the Border Legion »
Playing Warhammer since 1984 doesn't make you good, it just makes you old, not as old as Midaski however :)

It's the small things in life....

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »

I think there would be less complaining about what the empire and the WH world in general is actually like if people read about it. There has always seemed to be a general snobbery aimed at BL by pure gamers which really pisses me off, especially when they start complaining about model ranges, and rules.

I'm sure it was not a joke, but BL novels are written by a number of authors, and the backgound isn't always consistent in different novels. That means that it's hard to consider material from these books to be "official" background to WHFB sometimes. Moreover, as Dain stated, not everyone has time to read them - I know I don't, allthough I used to. Snobbery? Hardly. But the "core" of the WHFB is still the game, rules and models in my opinion, with the novels as "extra".
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:51:59 AM »
the backgound isn't always consistent in different novels. That means that it's hard to consider material from these books to be "official" background to WHFB sometimes.

Nor is it consistent from army book to army book, yet we are supposed to view them as official. If anyone here has gone over the new orc book, then they too will know that it has more holes than swiss cheese...

The timeline was f*d up something chronic.

In reguards to the novels, the background is 99% accurate if it isn't then it doesn't get published.

a little unfair to judge people this harshly

I didn't judge, i said there would be less confusion if more people read the books. Which is true.

I accept that not everyone can due to time and other reasons, but I do believe that more people should be reading them if they can. The Konrad saga should be staple for beginner players.

I have experienced the snobbery, and its generaly ignorant idiots that do it.

When people start claiming that, the empire doesn't look like 'that' and when if you tell them to read 'this' so they understand 'that' you get told to 'shut the wombat up' because their little world is better than the actual world we are supposed to be playing in. Also the line i am most sick of hearing is 'BL novels aren't real books they're just halfarsed dime-a-piecers,'   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:39:14 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Davros

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 12:35:13 PM »
I understand you are not happy with some of the opinions expressed here but at the end of the day it is just a game and every one is entitled to their opinion however you may disagree with them. I find the use of foul language inexcuseable considering thisis  a family web site and expressing your feelings like that  is not the way .

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 12:42:28 PM »
Dear Reynard_of_Bogenhafen,

Please do not manufacture arguments. I'm sure it must be very upsetting to have people disagree with your taste in books, but there is no need to get nasty.

Especially about something as trivial as warhammer background.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.