home

Author Topic: "Optimal" points size for a game?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Visu

• Members
"Optimal" points size for a game?
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:50:39 PM »
My friend that introduced me to Warhammer claims that the game is most balanced around 2,000 to 2,500 points (that's 2.000 to 2.500 points for our European friends.  :wink: ).  Below that, he claims that certain units/weapons/etc. can have a disproportionate effect on the game, and above that you can get some degenerate lists (I think that was his objection with large games, but I don't remember for sure).  What do you guys think?  What sized game do you prefer playing?
-Visu

Offline Zarkdon

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 10:58:38 PM »
2000 points is the best "length" as such it is for tournaments and evening games. I however, don’t think that the game changes at any point level. I prefer bigger games because they last a long time fill up the table and look cool.
"Yours in not to question how or why, yours is but to do or die."

Preceptor of the Knights of the Yellow Streak before their failed feartest outside of Holdensburg

Offline Gyro LC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »
I think the game has been balanced for 2000-2500 points and 6 turns.  Any longer than 6 turns and combat monster armies like Chaos gain the advantage as they have more time to get units into combat.  Shorter games give the advantage to shooty/magic armies since they are able to project their power across the board without armies like Chaos being able to strike back.

Also, as the points of armies decreases, shooting becomes more advantagous.  One unit of ten handgunners by themselves can beat a 250 point Chaos army (no characters) almost every time.
All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Offline deepfat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 11:07:52 PM »
Certain armies like TK struggle under 2k simple becuase they have to take certain characters before they can start buying troops.

2000 points is the most commonly played amount of points.
There's an old army sayin "tough luck for you" - Sergeant Jackrum Tenth infantry otherwise know as the "Ins-and-outs"

Offline Kaz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:29 AM »
yup, the game is proberly most balanced at 2000

But games above that ARE fun once in a while...

And really, anything between 2000 and 2750 (IMO) is quite viable at a tournament, jsut to have a little different tournament!
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 05:01:46 AM »
I don't mind 2000 points, but I prefer somewhere around 2500-2750. It allows a bit more choice and fleibility in the army, as well as being able to take more than just the bare minimum of magic items.

Above 3000 points I prefer playing with 4 people. It's more fun IMO to have 2 armies rather than one huge one on each side.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline fp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 08:19:54 AM »
to author - may be you'll write for russian friend to?  :lol:

or

2 000
2 500

will fit :)
Pink is like red but not quite.

Offline FlameKnight

• Members
  • in your base, killing your dudes
Re: "Optimal" points size for a game?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 09:22:52 AM »
Quote from: Visu
that's 2.000 to 2.500 points for our European friends.  :wink:

Err... I don't think europeans play with 2 and 2.5 points :?  Nor do they write 2000 and 2500 as 2.000 and 2.500 :wink: .

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 09:25:33 AM »
Europeans use . instead of , when they write thousands. It confused the heck out of a friend of mine when she went to Italy (and she brought me back an Italian WD! It was the best prezzie ever).
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Black Pete

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 10:53:48 AM »
Weren't the point total for Grand Tournaments last year 2150 points? That seems nice, in that you can get more troops into the game, but no more characters are allowed - less Herohammerish. Why was the reduction made to 2000 points - does the extra 150 points really result in games longer enough to effect tournament timing?

Offline Firestarter

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 11:46:35 AM »
Europeans use . instead of , when they write thousands. It confused the heck out of a friend of mine when she went to Italy (and she brought me back an Italian WD! It was the best prezzie ever).

Err...well the Brits use a comma and computers use a space usually.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »
Err...well the Brits use a comma and computers use a space usually.

But then, Brits use inches, gallons, and stones... Go figure :)

The . for thousands is of British origin and has thus travelled the globe to the furthest reaches of the British Empire of old - including Australia and America. The , is standard practise for us continental Europeans. And FP just pointed out that either no marking at all, or a blank space is the Russian way of doing things. Glorious diversity! :D
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 12:57:09 PM »
Quote from: General Helstrom
But then, Brits use inches, gallons, and stones... Go figure :)

And also centimetres, litres and kilograms. We use metric and imperial in a glorious mixture!

Quote from: General Helstrom
The . for thousands is of British origin and has thus travelled the globe to the furthest reaches of the British Empire of old - including Australia and America. The , is standard practise for us continental Europeans.

No it isn't. We use the comma for thousands (if we feel like it) and the full stop as a decimal point. Europeans do the opposite.

What was this thread about again? :)
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline jewells

• Members
dumb
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 01:28:49 PM »
Quote from: Black Pete
Weren't the point total for Grand Tournaments last year 2150 points? That seems nice, in that you can get more troops into the game, but no more characters are allowed - less Herohammerish. Why was the reduction made to 2000 points - does the extra 150 points really result in games longer enough to effect tournament timing?

I don't know whay they went to 2000 - kinda dumb.

I REALLY like 2150 - makes characters a little less important and lets you have that "extra" rank or sheilds or some other little thing.

as far as topic - empire has a hard time between 1000  and 1750 compaired to chaos.  under 1000 and it does better (dteachments become a big threat).

game was "set up" for 2k points (no , or . when you write in geekspeek).

J
"I don't think I heard you right: you have how many pistolliers in your army"

Offline Jivaine SkyWing

• Members
Game Size
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 02:22:25 PM »
I think that 2,500 is the best balance in a game.  Tournaments should be 2500 points per army, instead of 2,000.  I have even heard a guy who was hosting a RTT say that 2,500 armies would be better.  

Also, about the . and , and (space) within the thousands, who really cares I am sure you all know what is meant when you see 2.000 anyways.  Yes, the Europeans use . instead of , but the americans also take out a lot of letters from the english language like honour, (honor) cheque, (check), and armour (armour).  But all in all, does it really matter.

Offline Tanker

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 03:23:48 PM »
We don't take out letters, y'all add them! :D
"The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese." - unknown

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 03:52:39 PM »
we say "took", you say "toque", eh?

its all good.  Have a Molson and roll some dice.   :lol:

Offline revoltingpeasant

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 04:05:26 PM »
I always play 2000pts. I haven't tried it yet but I think that the best pointage would be 2950. This would keep the character and rare slots sensible while allowing both players to field large armies with decent core choices.

Plus a step up to 3K and it would only be a matter of time before I faced two Great Shamans. :shock:

Offline Zakath

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
In Norway, which despite rumours to the contrary, does lie in Europe, we use "," to seperate decimals. A "." is rarely used, except for in more advanced maths subjects where we use english/american books. There we get the "." to seperate the decimals :)

So 2.500 or 2,500 means 2.5
2.000 or 2,000 means 2.0

Now 2000 is 2k. If we use anything it's spaces between every 3 digits. So we could write 2 000 :)

Zak, He Who Nitpicks
If you call this a successful plan, never bring me along on a failed plan!

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 08:44:51 PM »
I like 2000.  If you take a lord, then you're losing out on the best part of an Empire army (atleast according to TVI), Infantry.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Biggs Hancock

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 05:32:37 PM »
Of course it matters! Language is a building block of national identity. Without differences in language, culture, politics and religion there would be no need for war and we would all be without a hobby (and I would be without a job).

To steal a phrase from the country that Briton has fought most in the last 1,000 years, vive la différence

(Please, take this as the joke it is intended to be and don't start a flame war over it)
Biggs Hancock

Do you really believe that in the real army we would ever say "Look out, Sir!"?