home

Author Topic: 'Nilla Knights to the rescue!  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Redhammer

• Members
  • Flagellant at heart
'Nilla Knights to the rescue!
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »
I have recently fallen in love with empire knights.

In a game against Wood Elves, I let my 'Nilla knights get flanked by ten wardancers to protect a large unit of swordsmen. Giving the knights up for lost, I moved the battle away from that combat, but to my and my opponent's surprise, three turns later, having sustained no casualties, the knights broke and chased down the wardancers before returning to the battle and rear charging a pesky unit of glade guard!

Has anyone else had this miraculous experience with knights or any other unit?
You can say what you want about burglars, but they show initiative, verve, and a willingness to work often unsociable hours.

Offline typo

• Members
Re: 'Nilla Knights to the rescue!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
Way back in early 5th ed, I had a tiny unit of wardancers hold up a large unit of saurus for half the game (alternating the 'no combat this turn' and '4+ wardsave' dances, to be fair).

Your opponent must have had some really terrible dice that day -you'd think that the killing blow dance would have popped a knight or two (even if extra attack dance didn't) over the ocurse of the 3 turns :)

Offline barryscott

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
Those Wardancers are very nice - but I think that Wood Elf players are/should be careful when charging them in. They get a bonus +1 strength when they charge, but following turns are only at strength 3 which means that for an elite unit, things can go bad for them quite easily in protracted fights.

The killing blow dance should help them out with this but it reduces them to one attack per model.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
It does? I thought that was the ASF dance. I thought they get their normal 2 attacks with killing blow and 3 attacks each if they use the +3Attack dance.

You still have to weigh it up though, obviously, but I think the killing blow one is always more likely to bag you one or two.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline JohnT

• Members
  • USED BANNER
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
I thought that was the ASF dance. I thought they get their normal 2 attacks with killing blow and 3 attacks each if they use the +3Attack dance.
You are correct.

My 5 'nilla Knights held up a DE Hydra and Chariot for 2 complete turns last game, which is a good deal in my book!
"Who's Johnny?" She said, and smiled in her special way. "Johnny.." She said, "..you know I love you!"

Offline Gaare

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Yesterday, 6 'nilla knights find some space and manage to charge a chaos fast cavalary, they got them, then pursued into fresh enemy to Chaos Knights with a khorne exalted hero with luck from flank(flee of chaos may got them out of board), anyways then they got them making their way to enemy battle line's rear. Later in the game they destoried a unit of chosen with help of infantry charging from front. Heh..

Offline Markw

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
I think its down to the 1+ save. Most combat units have str4, which still gives them 2+. Ive had a unit of normal knights hold up 2 units of 4 TK chariots (with impact hits) and a flank... after 3 rounds of combat, the chaiots where no longer.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »
I've had a unit of nilla knights hold the charge against a Vargulf allowing me to charge another unit of nillas in. Not sure if thats as standalone glorious as your stories. Plus it took me another 3 or so rounds of combat before I defeated the thing.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
Well the first question would be why in God's name is he using 10 Wardancers in one unit?! And you must have been lucky. 8 attacks, 5.33 hit, .592 killing blows and 2.96 normal wounds, .49 unsaved from the normal wounds, so he should have dealt at least one, + flank, outnumber. So it's a statistical anomaly.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
I hate mathhammer...
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
1+ armour save is just fantastic, I have so often fought against great odds with those dwarven plate. I once survived the charge of 4 Kroxigor with scar veteran attached because he whiffed some attacks and I managed to save the other ones (even against S 7 a 5+ save  :biggriin:) But they were even better in last edition where you could take IC knights as core choice well those were the days.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »
A somewhat similar thing happened to me in one game against dwarves.
I had a unit of 5 IC knights and a GM who were flanked by a unit of 20 dwarves, a lord on a dais and a BSB. Fortunately for for me none of his guys had a strength value higher than 4. I held the unit for 3 rounds, taking out a dwarf each round with my one knight in base contact before breaking. I rallied during my turn, he charged their front in his turn, and I won the combat in an epic manner running like 600 points into the ground.
Lesson of the match: Laurels of victory FOR THE WIN.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
I have recently fallen in love with empire knights.

In a game against Wood Elves, I let my 'Nilla knights get flanked by ten wardancers to protect a large unit of swordsmen. Giving the knights up for lost, I moved the battle away from that combat, but to my and my opponent's surprise, three turns later, having sustained no casualties, the knights broke and chased down the wardancers before returning to the battle and rear charging a pesky unit of glade guard!

Has anyone else had this miraculous experience with knights or any other unit?

I have had opposite experiance, my wardancers rolling down a whole empire line.
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Dannyfave STFU... this is the Empire forum we talk about our glories with Empire not with evil minions who want to enslave humanity (as all woodelves want too) :biggriin:

Offline Packing Steel

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »
Elves must be exterminated
General Rueben Fortescue

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
Even more fun when you are using Bretonian knights with two saves...

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
Dannyfave STFU... this is the Empire forum we talk about our glories with Empire not with evil minions who want to enslave humanity (as all woodelves want too) :biggriin:

I am sorry that I have had good experiances with the master race :wink:
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
It seems that this thread should be renamed "Wardancers to the rescue!"
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline Eglard

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »
Wood elves are best.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
Don't you blaspheme in hear, don't you DARE.

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
I think Ben has problems with the hippies.....
From feanor fire heart:

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
I think Ben has problems with the hippies.....

Not with the lifestyle, just with the hair.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
The smell too, surely?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Eglard

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
It's a fact that everyone doesn't like people who wash their hair and smell clean. Ben appears to be one of them. Goblins also belong to this category. :happy:

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
It's a fact that everyone doesn't like people who wash their hair and smell clean. Ben appears to be one of them. Goblins also belong to this category. :happy:

huh?
From feanor fire heart: