home

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz List Discussions  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
Re: 'Ard Boyz List Discussions
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »
Good Luck at the tourney today :icon_twisted:
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 07:22:58 AM »
Good Luck at the tourney today :icon_twisted:

Kill them All!
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Cptn. Palladorus

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.
Praise Sigmar and pass the ammunition; what one can't solve, the other will.

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »
..... and hear the lamentations of their women.

I rarely see women at these events...  is the asswhoopin' so bad they cry all the way from home?   :Ohmy:
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
Round 2 of Ardz looks good for Empire.

Scenario#1 makes WP and ALs amazing. Don't have to worry about rolling a 1 for each spell/prayer cast as neither is a wizard or has magic levels. Casting from the War Alter appears to be a freebie too.

Scenario#2 shouldn't be too bad capturing the fanatic with one of our big blocks. I wonder if I had a mage with crimson amulet in that unit...how would it affect? Auto-pass the strength test?`

Scenario#3 is straight up from the BRB so no big deal. Empire can get a few banners without much trouble. Much harder for armies such as Skaven..

I am contemplating taking Gelt out for this...he can deal with a miscast better than an embedded mage...

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
On scenario 1 can the miscast caused by Tzeentch be saved by things like Gelt's Staff of Volans, Throne of Vines, Teclis, ect? It says in the scenario that if a wizard rolls a one he "must roll on the miscast table". It would be worth calling the TO before going up there to find out....
@Odom for scenario 2 check the BRB FAQ, the whole unit has to have that ability. I am actually not too concerned with capturing the fanatic as there is either a 1/2 or a 1/3 chance of failing that S test and taking 2D6 S6 hits for nothing, ouch! As long as my opponent doesnt capture it either, it could play to your advantage if they are too concerned about capturing it then right before the game is over wipe out that unit that already has damaged itself by running up on the fanatic too early.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to ignore that miscast result. The items or spells allow you to either out right ignore the miscast or ignore it on a 2+, but it doens't state where that miscast comes from, just that they are ignored. Of course the Throne of Vines is the only way you'll be able to ignore both of the possible two miscasts you can get for each spell in this scenerio.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline polybus11

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to ignore that miscast result. The items or spells allow you to either out right ignore the miscast or ignore it on a 2+, but it doens't state where that miscast comes from, just that they are ignored. Of course the Throne of Vines is the only way you'll be able to ignore both of the possible two miscasts you can get for each spell in this scenerio.

I think they are specifically wording the scenario to have no way around that miscast on a 1 roll.  Maybe to put a hurt on tricked out slanns and life mages.  It only says to roll on the chart and apply the effects.  I wonder how horrors apply the effects.  Don't they normally just lose d6 models or something?

Interestingly enough, the wording on the Infernal Puppet seems like it would actually affect the additional miscast.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:49:06 AM by polybus11 »

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
Sweet finally got my list done, army put together and am ready to rumble.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Doing some research before next weekend...

I need some feedback:

Cauldron of Blood. How important is it? What does it do again? Killing blow? Should I target it with cannons first? Does it count as a war machine? Will Dwellers or Pit o Shades insta-kill it?

Offline poboom

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
Cauldron of Blood - Entry in the FAQ here: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1780259a_FAQ_DarkElves_V1_3.pdf

Blessings of Khaine: Chosen at the "start of turn phase" (even if in combat) - pick friendly unit within 24" - It's not a spell and cannot be dispelled.

1) +1 Attack
2) Killing blow in CC
3) 5+ ward

(Witch elves + executioners are stubborn if within 12" of the altar)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:19:18 AM by poboom »

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Cool Boom :icon_mrgreen:

Sweet on my way to face Astorre to test out our Ard lists. No Skaven for me this round. Empire vs Empire!

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Arnie Quote , nice!

''Consider this a divorce !'' (in bad Austrian English Accent)
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:23 AM »
"I'll be back!"

I got a minor win over Astorre. That was insignificant to the valuable lesson we unearthed during the course of our game. An advantage we both take with us to the semis :icon_biggrin:  maybe 1 or 2 more games and I'm ready. Next practice game needs to be the Dawn Attack. I cannot stand this scenario but I need to practice it a bit more.  Btw, Astorre brought a Walter LOLOL!! I guess he changed his tune about it hehe. Although against cannons, both of our walters died pretty fast. We played the first scenario.

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 05:49:17 AM »
Empire vs Empire!

My Empire versus Empire battles always feels like incest.... I much prefer blowing up servants of Chaos, rats, etc.

I suppose you are going to leave us in the dark on the "lesson" you both learned?   :icon_cool:

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:49 AM »
"I'll be back!"

I got a minor win over Astorre. That was insignificant to the valuable lesson we unearthed during the course of our game. An advantage we both take with us to the semis :icon_biggrin:  maybe 1 or 2 more games and I'm ready. Next practice game needs to be the Dawn Attack. I cannot stand this scenario but I need to practice it a bit more.  Btw, Astorre brought a Walter LOLOL!! I guess he changed his tune about it hehe. Although against cannons, both of our walters died pretty fast. We played the first scenario.

I didnt see you today! You wanna talk about practice... today I played a 2000pt Dark Elf army & a 3000 pt WoC army at  the same time with my list, 5000pts vs. 3000pts, battleline, normal points for victory conditions. & I won! I was lucky that I was able to panic the Lv4 Sorceress off the table & I shot a cannonball at the Chaos Lord & sure enough it killed him. Steam tank spent all game sitting in front of a huge unit of trolls with throgg. My infantry were pretty beat up but I only lost one unit (halberdiers).

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
"I'll be back!"

would love for you to elaborate your big discovery  :engel: i fortunately dont have to fight my empire brethren much (at all) but always enjoy learning something new
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »
My Empire versus Empire battles always feels like incest.... I much prefer blowing up servants of Chaos, rats, etc.

I suppose you are going to leave us in the dark on the "lesson" you both learned?   :icon_cool:

Yea playing against Empire is weird because you 100% know all the weaknesses and how to exploit them. And you do so.

5000pts vs. 3000pts, battleline..

Lol! I can only guess who you played  :icon_razz:

would love for you to elaborate your big discovery  :engel: i fortunately dont have to fight my empire brethren much (at all) but always enjoy learning something new

It was scenario-specific. Not a new, general truth about Empire unfortunately.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
Just doing some final brainstorming before tomorrow....

So what about:

Unit A includes a Warrior Priest.

Unit B also includes a WP.

Both units are in separate combats. Both WPs granted Hatred to their units during the first round of hth.

If a shadow mage is nearby and successfully casts a spell and activates the Lore bonus, can you swap WPs and effectively give the units hatred again? Under WP it says when he "joins" a unit, they get hatred.

Yes? No?  Reasons?

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
Well the only precedent I know of is the Dark Elf FAQ. It says Assassins that appear after the first round of combat do not get hatred (not that it matters for an Assassin because of ASF & I9). So I'd imagine that even though it will be the first round of combat for the Priest, it wouldn't be for the unit so no.
**Edit** You aren't changing your list up this late in the game are you? I just made some last minute changes bout 3 days ago....

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
Would the WPs get hatred again?

The DE faq seems situational to the assassin.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 06:55:46 PM »
Btw, a quick heads up for Empire players facing Skaven in rd 3. Remember that when Skaven cast the 13th spell, it can create a unit a clan rats. The new unit comes with full command. This would create a new banner and therefore increase the army's break point. This can be done multiple times. 

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »
I would say the WP gains hatred because he has teleported into a new combat (first round of combat for him) but the unit does not (not first round of combat for them). Need to scour the FAQs for examples of different sources of hatred appearing during a single combat but I doubt there are many. The FAQ answer for flaggies might point it the other way for example. But RAW I'd go with my answer.