home

Author Topic: Detachments?  (Read 4161 times)

gorblud

Detachments?
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
Hey, I'm new to empire and have some questions about the detachment special rules :)

How is victory points resolved?
Does the enemy have to wipe out both the regimental and the detachment unit to get points, or is the regimental unit enough?

If the regimental unit is wiped out, does the detachment fight on as usual?

Is a counter charge declared when the enemy declares its charge, or when the enemy unit has succeed with a charge?

When do you decide whether the counter charge is a flank/rear or normal charge, after or before the enemy has moved up its chargers?

Offline Maza

• Members
Re: Detachments?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
Hi Gorblud!

Hey, I'm new to empire and have some questions about the detachment special rules :)

How is victory points resolved?
Does the enemy have to wipe out both the regimental and the detachment unit to get points, or is the regimental unit enough?

I think this is the drill: Wipe out detachment only: get VP for detachment only. Wipe out Regiment only: get VP for regiment only. Wipe out both: VP for both.

If the regimental unit is wiped out, does the detachment fight on as usual?

Yes.

Is a counter charge declared when the enemy declares its charge, or when the enemy unit has succeed with a charge?

The counter charge is declared after the regimental unit's charge reaction (they must not flee). The counter charge move takes place after the enemy's charge succeeds (it must succeed).

When do you decide whether the counter charge is a flank/rear or normal charge, after or before the enemy has moved up its chargers?

After.

Hope this helps! By the way, I think rules questions are usually put in the Elector's forum. They usually get answered much more quickly there.

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »
I think counter charge only happens after ALL charges have been handled, not just the regimental unit's charge reaction. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, Maza, so just throwing it out here. But your other points are right, in any case.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
Maza was referring to this particular paragraph of the Detachment rule (Army Book p. 30):

If an enemy unit declares a charge against a Regimental Unit, and the regimental Unit does not flee as a charge reaction, then each of its unengaged Detachments within 3" can make either a Support Fire or a Counter Charge action (see below). These actions are declared immediately after the Regimental Unit's charge reaction. if the regimental Unit does not get a charge reaction for any reason then the detachment cannot make a Support Fire or Counter Charge action. 

This is when one declares the Counter Charge. The Counter Charge is executed after the enemy has moved all of his charging units, as long as one or more of his units have succesfully completed a charge against the Regimental Unit.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Ah! Thanks for clarification, guys!  :::cheers:::