home

Author Topic: Joined The Guard  (Read 35042 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Joined The Guard
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
Reaper has a fantastic range of models. I love their fantasy stuff.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
Fully agree Xath. Cheap as well!

I have some more pictures! Some are same dudes showing up again, other stuff is new. First, some (Hopefully) better pictures of the Primaris Intercessors.

Next up we have Captain Artemis, and the current leader of my Deathwatch forces. On the tabletop he's also packing a stasis bomb that has been the bane of my opponents characters for quite some time.

Finally I finished my main Kill Team, Squad Durandal. Generally they either get played as one big squad or two smaller fire teams. They've racked up some impressive victories over the past year, along with some rather embarrassing defeats. Including one time the entire group of ten got overwhelmed by a group of grots... but we don't talk about that.

Deathwatch are easily some of my favorite to paint. So much of it is basic and black, but it means I can easily pump out the majority of it and then spend plenty of time on small details to really bring it to life. Doing different chapter shoulder pads is absolutely great and looks nice. I already have plans to make multiple squads and have everyone of them come from a different chapter.

I have nothing but respected for people who can paint solid white or yellow well. I had trouble just getting it to look decent on the shoulder pad. The Imperial Fist one in particular took forever and I'm still not super happy with it.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
and finally for now, a picture of this rad dude. He's in the queue, but probably going to be there awhile. Still can't wait to use him in battle.

Inquisitor Eisenhorn. The special limited edition Black Library Anniversary model.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »
That deathwatch is awesome. I like the idea of all the chapters for sure. The captain is a great figure. I wouldn’t worry about the fist emblem. Looks fantastic. And that Eisenhorn!!!!! What a model. What are those little things on the power pack. Personal teleporters ?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:07 PM »
Is the Eisenhorn figure still available?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:23 AM »
Thanks!

@AG, I think the things on the backpacks are suppose to be more like lamps and radio antenna then teleporters. Although the squad can take a terminator upgrade, and if you do they get the ability to teleport back to a teleport homer you can place in your deployment zone.

@GP, it depends. When I check online it say's temporarily out of stock. Most of the shops around me still have some. When it first game out it was one of those "While stocks last" kind of deals but I'm almost positive they've restocked since then anyway.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
The Deathwatch look excellent! I can't wait to see Gregor run alongside them to battle! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
I'm finishing my Death Watch just in time it seems. Next week the Death Watch Codex goes up for pre order. The early look at the book makes it look very promising. Especially for me to take them as a small allied detachment instead of as a full army.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/01/may-1st-codex-deathwatch-preview-focused-adaptable-deadlygw-homepage-post-1/

Mission tactics that make my units better against certain types of units. Primaris squads and special issue ammunition. If I hadn't just painted my Primaris forces in my homebrew chapter colors I'd seriously consider painting them as more death watch.

The mixed primaris squads looks interesting as well from early rumours. For those who don't know, the deathwatch can build a squad out of different space marine types. My common squad loadout is often 5 veteran marines, a vanguard jump pack and a terminator, all in the same squad. Now you can do the same kind of think with primaris. Put Intercessors, the flying dudes and hellblasters all in the same squad, and each one gives the whole squad special rules.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
I've managed to snatch a Gregor figurine for myself. Shame that he's in Finecast, but what can you do?

With new Deathwatch codex on the horizon, your boys in black will see some action, no doubt. They're a great looking bunch and I bet that they'll be kicking a great ammount of xeno ass. :-P

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »
Oh I'm pumped for sure. I've been hearing good rumours about the new codex as well. Probably not a top tier army, but still going to be real fun to play. I've got a battle planned against a friends combined chaos forces and he wants to try fighting Imperial Soup, so I'm all set up to use my glorious guard bois, a small force of space marines, and a good 50 power of death watch. It's not the usual xeno killing time, but it'll be good none the less.

I'm with you on Gregor. I don't hugely mind finecast anymore. They've at least stabilized the quality or whatever, but it's not my favorite. Still, I think the model is sweet and I love the thought of an inquisitor running around with my forces.

I do enjoy the fact that the bulk of my forces are all anti-xeno, yet by far my most common opponents are chaos. I just love the Ordo Xeno far more then any other Inquisitors and I'm not a huge fan of grey knights.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
I love all the Ordos, but Xenos is a favorite as well. I love Eisenhorn and Ravenor books and Gregor is one of my fav 40K characters of all time.

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
Had a 200 power game yesterday, but due to too much casual chatting and drinking we only got 1 and a half turns down in six hours. It got messy when my opponent dropped down multiple terminator units right in front of my battleline and roasted a significant number of brave guardsmen.

I had an Imperial Soup army to try out. Just over 100 power of guard, 50 power of deathwatch and 25ish power of space marines. We spent a fair bit of time talking about the FAQ rules but ultimately decided not to use them. It was my opponents first real game of 8th and he doesn't really like it. Mostly because he doesn't like having to learn a whole new edition, but he also thinks the lack of charts make it to easy.

It didn't help matter whens I dropped multiple squads of scions, a deathwatch dread and kill team, and a handful of reivers behind his battleline after he was nice enough to surge everything forward. I only got one full turn the whole game but I managed to eviscerate several tanks, heavy weapon squads, assassinate a few characters and just generally cause havoc.

We called it and said I won when I managed to kill his lord with Captain Artemis of the deathwatch in turn 2, but it would have gotten ugly has we continued. I had scrapped ahead on victory points with some tactical objectives, first blood and slaying the warlord, but if we'd continued he was about to overrun my left flank and center, take multiple objectives and turn around to pound my deep striking mini army.

I myself really enjoy 8th. I like the detachment system and the command points, but I need to spend more time memorizing stratagems. It eats up to much time trying to shuffle through them and see if anything would help at a given time.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
That sounds like it could have been a challenge. I keep thinking I should have a banner bearer where I can add marks for wins but that will probably not happen. I like the soup mix army’s myself. A bit of everything for everything 😸
Good report.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »
I've had the same thought about the banner.

We started taking pictures to make a full report, but when we realized it had been five hours, only one turn, and that we had to leave in an hour we stopped. So I have a grand totally of four pictures, none of them impressive.

Still it was a good game and a chance to catch up with a friend I havn't seen in awhile.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Sounds like you had lots of fun. That's what's important!

I like the sneaky-beaky tactics of dropping behind someone and shooting the crap out of them. Great stuff.

Pictures would be awesome to see. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2018, 07:17:46 PM »
I'll see if either of us saved the few pictures we took. I liked the surprise drop tactic, my opponent less so. We both like using Deep Striking stuff, but we use it very differently. He tends to drop stop right in front of my battle line and try and wreak havoc. In this case a squad of terminators and warp talons that proceeded to roasts, slice and dice some unlucky guardsmen. I never like being that forward, so to speak, because all it means is that the next turn results in the entire battleline firing on and slaughtering whatever dropped in.

I much prefer to drop in some units for a last ditch assault on an objective or character assassination. This game just happened to have a great deal of such deep striking. A stormtrooper command squad. 3 squads of stormtroopers, a squad of Deathwatch, a Deathwatch dread and Captain Artemis. It pretty much singlehandedly destroyed his entire backline of heavy weapons and tanks.

(The two deathwatch units were able to deepstrike thanks to a DW stratagem. Artemis joined in because my opponent still thinks it's stupid that characters don't join units and wanted to do it with his guys, so I did it with mine!)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
So I came across this quote below from Aaron Dembski-Bowden. He's on reddit, and answering some questions in a thread asking for more Necron books. I thought this particular little blurb was a very interesting insight into the writing industry, especially for warhammer. It's mostly 40k, but does touch briefly on fantasy. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share, but didn't want to clutter up other threads and wasn't sure if it was worth a separate thread so I'm posting it here.

Specifically, the quote is dealing with the fact that xeno books don't sell as well as other books. That's obviously why there's fewer of them. On top of that, because they don't sell as well they're deemed much 'riskier' in that authors wont get much money back from them and if they take to much time it actually works out to a loss instead of getting paid.

I think it due to a mix of experience (and experienced friends and colleagues) with the book industry, and having discussed Black Library's sales figures with editors and authors (and seeing mine and other authors' figures), too.

A (very!) rough breakdown of the book trade runs as follows:

1.Books don't sell well. At least, not in the numbers people tend to assume. Almost all authors also have full-time jobs as well. The ones that don't are arguably the luckiest, and either the richest 0.01% (King, Rowling, etc.) or comfortable earning less money than most regular jobs because they're happier as writers.

2.Sci-Fi and Fantasy books sell even less well. It's not uncommon at all for a Sci-Fi novel to sell a few thousand copies, even with publisher promotion. Plenty of authors don't even earn out their advances, which means no royalties. The smoothest way to make money as an author (as in, pretty much any money at all) is to have lots of books out there earning royalties. That's how you sustain yourself professionally. (And, incidentally, is also the bane of slow-arse authors like me.)

3.As it happens, 40K novels do sell extremely well (for Sci-Fi books). Plenty of them are bought by people that have nothing to do with the game or the hobby at all. You get a fair few novelists who deride licensed fiction rethinking that approach when they see just how well 40K novels sell, in fact. I'm a full-time novelist based on my 40K royalties. I hope to always be writing it one way or another. Just not exclusively it, and nothing else.

4.But the flip side of that is what sells is The Big Stuff. Major Horus Heresy moments, for example. And the next tier down is Blood Angels, Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and - oh, boy - Space Wolves. The classic, famous Chapters, and the great stuff for beginners. They make bank (relatively speaking), especially Space Wolves. The tier below that would probably be Chaos Marines and the Inquisition. But the tiers keep going down, and down, and down. There are Warhammer Fantasy novels, f'rex, that according to their authors in interviews and stuff, never earned out their advance. So zero royalties.

Xenos novels totally sell. They just don't sell ultra-well, relative to other stuff, and it's hard to gamble that much time and money on something that's such a risk financially and professionally. I'd love to read more of them, too! But I completely understand why someone in their 30s might not, say, take 6-18 months effectively off-work, since it'd earn them very little money.

Again, it's not all about money. If it was, you'd see literally nothing but series after series about the Big Four Chapters. So obviously we all bounce around and do other stuff. And a decent xenos book will totally sell. A very fast author could ride the risk with no trouble. Like I said above, some authors can do a novel in 3-4 months. That's insane to me, but they could do it.

If it'd sell enough to make it worthwhile for a slower author, though? Dunno about that.

Edit: A link to the rest of the thread if anyones interested in the follow up questions and responses. https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/8omj9g/would_you_want_to_read_a_3book_necron_series/e04u19c/?context=3

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
Yet another thing I love that exists balanced on a knife edge 👆
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
It's depressing to know that the WFB books never sold well. I love the setting and I love the stories about it, but it's just... sad.

By the way, ADB is great. I love how he finds time and makes an effort to interact with fans.

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
I always knew the fantasy stuff didn't sell as well as 40k, but it's sobering to see just how bad at times. You'd think with LOTR and stuff that fantasy would be way more popular, but apparently not for warhammer.

Anyway, on to happier stuff. Pictures for the Picture Gods!

These are from last month, some Neophyte Hybrids. I use the whole squad as veterans in my Imperial Guard army. Lore wise one of the planets they recruit from has an underground, but weak and scattered genestealer cult. The cults trying to infiltrate the local guard regiment, hoping to get some agents promoted higher up the chain and into influential places. Little do they realise that the upper command has no intention of promoting some low class former miner to anything above a sergeant. Class discrimination is alive and well in my little corner of 40k. At least when it comes to alien infected cultists.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
Summon the Ordo Xenos! I love the hybrids. What a fantastic, well-made kit. I've been using a lot of bits from them for various projects.

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
They guys are looking really good Gankom
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
Thanks guys!

The bits from the kit are fantastic, and I have a bunch saved up for future veteran projects. The autoguns and shotguns are fantastic and don't take a great deal of work to use with regular bodies. Just have to keep an eye on the mutations so you don't give your guardsmen to many fingers or something.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
Yeah, I especially like their weapons. They're easier to obtain than buying a set of stand-alone weapons from Kromlech or Maxmini.

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Bit of a switch today. My buddy has gotten REALLY into Death guard recent. Like 200 power worth of stuff in a handful of months, after spending almost a decade buying nothing. I have the Know No Fear kit and he was asking me to paint up some of the death guard my style to compare to his. Especially after I was telling him how great washes can work. So here's two handsome young marines off to spread disease, rot and ruin joy and happiness to the universe.

Well, except they wont really. My buddy has based his Deathguard around Mortarion and his inner circle, so I wanted to do something different. My Dudes (TM) are a warband calling themselves the Dusk Weepers. Renegades and traitors even amongst traitors and renegades. They hate Mortarion for what he did to their once proud legion, and hate him for succumbing when he should have fought and died instead. The Dusk Weepers are still slaves to Nurgle (Like they have a choice), but instead of the usual happy and joyful Nurgle followers they are bitter, depressed, and want nothing more then to make everyone else suffer before purging the galaxy of all life.

At only a handful of members that seems unlikely. So at the moment they just tool around making quick alliances with other renegades to survive.