home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 139971 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
8th edition on route.
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
As of 2pm BST gw announced a new edition of 40k with free core rules.
Here is a link to the FAQ on the release.
https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf
It invalidates all the codex out but apparently the armies wil get a low cost book for each.

What do we all think
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
I like personally. The open play sounds interesting as you can put together whatever you like. I havnt played 7ed yet although I have the rule book and a lot of codex's. So I can't comment on putting different units together if that's feasible.  Sounds like it will be faster and easier to play in narrative or matched which again I like. Streamlining I think was needed/ desired by most players I think. Looking forward to it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
Sold.

Expect the Baron's Mordian Grenadiers sometime in the far future when AoS slows down and I have hobby funds. :)
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic. I read through the faq, and there's lots of mentioning of "We've been listening to the community" or even little jokes at themselves. I liked right at the end their joking that the edition isn't even out yet but they have a FAQ for it, Oh how times have changes. To me it reads as a good sign that their finally listening.

Also as someone who just started playing 40k and not just reading the lord, I can say it can be frustrating to deal with. All the different rules, etc. Although part of my problem was almost 20 years of fantasy gaming made some of the rules blow my mind. I cannot get out of the habit of putting my sergeant at the front of my troops, leading the way, only to watch him get shot to pieces.

I really, really hope that some of the leadership at Gdubs have seen the errors going on and are trying to correct. We've already seen stuff like actual deals on the get started forces and good boxed games. Hopefully the new edition will continue the good trend.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
Fairly pessimistic as i think the actual gameplay of 7th ed is pretty damn good, they just got a bit crazy with formations and the like.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
I am stoked! See my fistpumps!

An easier accesible game will make it way easier for my youngest to get involved.

My oldest son will also go Renegade since his Marines are so ultra-loyalist they cannot stand the idea of Girlyman lording over them.

This means my guardsmen can fight them without any hesitation!
Maybe I should get myself some Ordo Hereticus as allies.

The Galaxy is still there! No whiping out of a great setting but things are happening!

Rejoice!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »
As of 2pm BST gw announced a new edition of 40k with free core rules.
Here is a link to the FAQ on the release.
https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf
It invalidates all the codex out but apparently the armies wil get a low cost book for each.

What do we all think

I think I am looking forward to it.

What's quite noticeable in the pdf is how often they point out "we fucked up in the past and we learned our lesson". That's quite encouraging!

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 02:56:54 AM »
If the new edition looks anything like the Adepticon rumors, it's going to be...very different.  Movement speeds, armour save modifiers, and charging units swing first (geez, it's like they went back to the original game for ideas).  And morale that isn't all-or-nothing.  But between those reports and this new FAQ, I'm encouraged.  Could be a lot of fun.  :-)
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:53:05 AM »
Im looking forward to it to. I want to see what the daily updates bring tbh. Cant be much more than a month or so away now, ready for school summer holiday. 

Hopefully the orks and dark eldar will get a helping hand and i can do my ork army ive been planning for a while..

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Free core rules! It sounds good. I'm way out of date on the rules anyway.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
The Necrons have also carved out some real presence.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:11:58 PM »
Most necron dynasty's are bigger then the tau empire.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:41 AM »
My problem is Chaos and most of the Space Marines are simply uninteresting. There's far too much focus on humans, not enough Xenos. I'd really like to see more of the Tau/Necrons/Orks/Nids, I think Eldar are in a good spot though.

I've left 40k, but the only way for me to come back in is to get rid of 90% of the formations and big models that destroy list building and pick up games. There's too many different rules to keep track of and too many nasty combos/tricks that vanilla codex players simply can't counter, which just isn't fun. AoS seems to still have some of that stuff, though I don't know what the big models look like from a balance perspective. It could be good, could be bad but I'm not confident yet.

In short, get rid of the rules bloat and fix balance, and I'm in, otherwise no thanks.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:52 AM »
 AoS seems to still have some of that stuff, though I don't know what the big models look like from a balance perspective.

Well formations cost points in AoS and monsters can be whittled down in effectiveness as their wounds take their toll. You do have nasty things like the Beastclaw Raiders bulldozing unprepared armylists but they can also get hard-countered by anyone who knows them. (A important strategy is to spread the wounds out among them to weaken the force as a whole, concentrating on one at a time is a bad move.)

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
I'm hyped for this! I just hope that they'll fix the overbloated, completely unbalanced game, that is the 7th edition. I hope that they'll actually make every army viable, not just Space Marines with their grav weapons and Eldar with their D-spam. I hope that they won't screw the plot any more, than they already did (Primarchs return, ughhhh....).

I hope for a lot of things, apparently.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:52 PM »

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
I like what I see so far. Good thing they're finally unifying the rules for vehicles and MCs. No more "that looks great! Oh it's a vehicle and can be one shot. Pass!"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
I like what I see so far. Good thing they're finally unifying the rules for vehicles and MCs. No more "that looks great! Oh it's a vehicle and can be one shot. Pass!"

definitely needed, probably the main fuck up was the tau and eldar monstrous creatures.

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
Here's hoping that they'll tone down both the FNP and Instant Death special rules. Right now FNP is so prominent, that it's not even funny.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Good thing they're finally unifying the rules for vehicles and MCs. No more "that looks great! Oh it's a vehicle and can be one shot. Pass!"

That rule never made sense to me. Especially when one large robot thing was a vehicle and another similar one was a monster.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
what you mean this isn't obviously a monster?

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Of course it is. And dreadnoughts are definitely vehicles.
If I wanted to.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:15 PM »
Chargers strike first. My Orks just gave a mighty cheer!

They added a movement stat, but took away initiative? How will they determine who strikes first after the first round? Did Slaanesh units just lose a buff?

They made WS a "fixed" stat, but kept toughness and strength. Thought they would have gone with the AoS "fixed" to hit and to wound stats, and just gave very Tough models (like a Great Unclean One) a bunch more wounds.

Speaking of more wounds, I like how vehicles are now treated like every other model (toughness, armor save, wounds) but I read some vehicles will have "dozens of wounds". Dozens?!?!? No, that won't be a bitch to keep track of at all! Will an Ork Stompa have 36 wounds???

No more templates, and, although I will miss them, it makes more sense and makes the game go faster. Not sure how they will handle scatter, though.

Terminators have two wounds. Will Meganobs have three? No? Price decrease maybe?

No army is to be "squatted"(awesome), although all my old codex's are now just for pretty pictures and fluff (not terrible).

All in all, still a lot unanswered, but I like more than what I hate, so far. The mere fact that the main rules will now be free will certainly help in bringing in new players, and if they keep the new codex's cheap, I won't have such a hard time convincing new players that they won't need to  take out a 2nd mortgage to afford to play this game.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »

Save modifiers! Yes.

I hated the 'full save or no save' system. And apparently cover now gives a save bonus instead of an alternative saving throw.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:59:39 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.