home

Author Topic: The state of the Empire  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Vincent of Vega

• Members
The state of the Empire
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
Hi all,

Long time Empire player here. Sadly haven't played WHFB in 4 or more years but miss is it terribly. A busy work schedule and RL in general has curtailed my playing.  While sorting out all my armies and setting up my Empire force on the kitchen table I'm keen to find out what's going on.
Ninth age looks very good, AoS has zero appeal, the models are awful too (imho)

What's everyone playing?

Regards
Alex
..Alex

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: The state of the Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:01:26 AM »
Hi Vincent,

I basically transferred my hobby straight into Kings of War, which had a diaspora of WFB players after AoS killed the world.
The rule system is streamlined and simplified, which makes massive games much easier to play, as most of the movement rules works around a certain number of models making up regiments.
But, the rules system doesn't account for removing individual casualties from the regiments, so you can base entire units onto a single base.
For the modelling community it is a godsend, and for those who, like me, enjoy having armies look like armies, a large Kingdom of Men force looks intimidating on the table.

DC
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Well well well ............. the man who has a novel way of making 'damaged' scenery .............. I hope you have left the shotgun at home  :engel:

From what I hear 9th Age is making progress - I intentionally haven't looked, as until they have a 'finished' product it is all speculation. Have played Kings of War and it has more depth than you realise, and I like not removing individual models.

The time thing is the seemingly critical factor these days, and in the last 4 years there has been a notable increase in small or skirmish games.
4 x 4 foot table, varying warband sizes of around 10 up to 60 and easier to set up and play in one to two hours.

Mainly they are historical, but there are some Fantasy ones like Frostgrave, and Dragon Rampant. Lots of my Empire figures transfer over to Saga, Lion Rampant, or The Pikemans Lament, KOW Historical, Legends of the High Seas.

I must admit to having got a bit of a rules sets addiction lately - I have just started making a list of all the rulebooks I have and putting them on a spreadsheet with columns for 'genre' and 'periods'.  Most of the books are a good read and have lovely pics of figures even if there is every likelihood I will never play the game ..........................  :closed-eyes:

Edit: Just popped in on TWF for the first time for a long time. I see you reopened membership and it still seems reasonably lively.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
Here in Poland we're playing a lot of 6th edition WFB and 8th edition as well. WFB seems to be holding exceptionally well here. I don't know about any serious KoW or T9A scene tough.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Vincent of Vega

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
The reason  I stopped playing WH is because  my most frequent opponent ie. 90% of games, lives 200 yards down the road and we always have fun games, fell out of love with the game when 8th ed came out (?)  or whichever one changed the charge distance rules.  He plays or used to play Bretonnians and he reckoned, understandably that the Bretonnians were not overly powerful and having one of the  best charge ranges in the game was correct, after all the vast majority of his force was mounted.  I felt his pain. 
When the dice are against you being outcharged by a unit on foot does seem a bit daft.

He said he would play an older version of the rules.  Perhaps I should make an effort.

Hi Midaski!  Relax, I haven't used a shotgun for 'dramatic effect'  for some time, but now that you mention it ;-)
..Alex

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
There are still pockets of 8th edition players all over.  It just takes some digging to find us since most of the BatRepers and production companies have moved to the latest, shiny new toy and want to keep their content new, instead of focusing on making it good.  Those two elements are very easy to find and give a perception of the gaming community moving in a certain direction, but with a little digging and effort, you can find players who, like you, have no desire to move to the new games. 

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
Playing 6th.
Trying to collect as much material of 6th ed as possible. It's a bit hard as some things were lost when GW changed site or they've appeared in diferent country WD, still I've found some nice gems :biggriin:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
Playing 6th.
Trying to collect as much material of 6th ed as possible. It's a bit hard as some things were lost when GW changed site or they've appeared in diferent country WD, still I've found some nice gems :biggriin:

Wayback machine is your friend. I've managed to grab a lot of 6th edition stuff from old GW site, that way.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
Played my first KoW game this summer and was pleasantly suprised.

Like Mid I have sort of had a small rule set addicition but I have not played much. Me and my girl are busy moving together so we have not had the time to start out playing Frostgrave yet.

I really would like to find someone who wanted to play Dux Bellorum with, or Broken Legions.

But KoW looks really good. Will start forming an all new force of Empire for it.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!