home

Author Topic: Warhammer Community Survey  (Read 16622 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Warhammer Community Survey
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
Quote Bartolo: I'll like AoS and its setting when I'll plant rusty nails on my head like Snorri :biggriin:

Ha! I don’t think your point of view can be any clearer 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
Yes, Bartolo nailed it.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Yes, Bartolo nailed it.

The puns never end with you, Fidelis. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
Alas, I seem to suffer from "hit-and-pun" antics.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
The best that I ever came up with, was stuff like: "it was an axeident" or "knife to meet you". :icon_redface:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
Unfortunately are holes in those come-backs.

I am curious, what does T9A think about all the old timers filling in the survey to bring back WHFB. Do they see it as a risk?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
I am curious, what does T9A think about all the old timers filling in the survey to bring back WHFB. Do they see it as a risk?
Not an issue, but let's examine it.
There are several risks implied in your question:
1) GW publishes WH9.
2) Unofficial WH8.5 develops.
3) Old timers stick to WH8.

Let's analyse.
1) GW business is to sell models. Old timers who have shelves of unused models are not a good target. GW will not bring back WH, and certainly not for the sake of old timers. And why would they bother to spend resources on WH9 when T9A does a sufficient job which costs them nothing?
2) Many initiatives already. All face IP risk, which is actual. None benefit from same volunteer resources as T9A.
3) The nostalgia for WH8 was what gave T9A the energy to start and proceed on. Better nostalgic old timers than old timers who renounced the hobby and give it no thought anymore.

So the risk is not actual.

Now, let's go a step further and imagine what if...?
1-a) What if GW retconned the Old World and made WH9 stealing good ideas from T9A? Well, excellent news for Hobbyists! Two competing providers force both of them to the highest quality. Instead of having one high quality game which was the goal of T9A community, we would have two of them! What's not to love?
1-b) What if GW bought somehow T9A? Well, to have full coop of T9A, they would have to agree with T9A principles, which would be a huge win for Hobbyists.
2) What if NewWarHammer was developing? See 1-a.
3) What if nostagic players keep playing WH8? If they manage to initiate new blood, all the better. When people will try T9A system, they will compare to WH8, and will stick to T9A. For the fluff, well, at the moment, WH has more, but in the long run, T9A will have more, and more consistent.

So the consequences are not adverse.

Risk = probability x consequences.
Low probability, no worrying consequences => negligible risk.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:14:20 AM by Calisson »

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
What Calisson said. Seriously, T9A is the best thing that possibly could happen to GW. A game that GW doesn't need to spend a penny to develop, and which miniatures produced by GW are eminently suited for. That's how things have been for ages over at the historical wargaming side - different companies make miniatures and publish rules. GW could make mad bux (quidz?) by re-releasing their old miniatures again, call them "GW Classics" or whatever, nominally as a favour to collectors and grognards playing their old games, and pretending not to notice T9A but secretly taking it into consideration in business decision-making. It would cost GW little to do so in upfront investment, they'd just need to dust off old moulds. It would perfectly fit their new doctrine of being a miniatures company rather than a gaming company.

So yeah, killing T9A would be a patently stupid thing for GW to do. But then, we're talking about GW here, so that's no assurance that they wouldn't try to do it. If they do, well, T9A 2.0 is around the corner. Even if it will be the last T9A to come out before it dies, I will be happy for years playing it. If GW kills T9A, we will make the dead walk the Earth  :-D
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
I repeatedly mentioned "Bring back the Old World" and "I miss Stirland".

And i wrote a WALL about how I miss Warhammer Fantasy battles and the Old World.

I suggested they should bring back the possibility of playing in the Old World using the rules for AoS. An official Expanison.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
To continue on what I said, some time ago an estimate was posted in the T9A general forum of the magnitude of the total work effort spent on making T9A 2.0. It came up as high as 136,000 hours over all volunteers combined, and that was a conservative estimate, and just on getting from 1.3 to 2.0, not counting what it took to get to 1.3. Just imagine if a game company were to make that kind of effort developing a game, the expense would be counted in millions.

All that for a game that has made me spend a silly amount on Empire miniatures, in order to avail myself of all kinds of options that weren't previously viable due to poor game balance. Money of which most has gone to other companies than GW, but could be GW's for the taking if it were to produce miniatures to accommodate my preference.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »

Let's analyse.
1) GW business is to sell models. Old timers who have shelves of unused models are not a good target. GW will not bring back WH, and certainly not for the sake of old timers. And why would they bother to spend resources on WH9 when T9A does a sufficient job which costs them nothing?

They probably will not bring it back because they're not able able to.  If they weren't incompetent we'd not have  ten years of decadence (7th and 8th ed.).

• Members
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
Double post:
results avaible in January https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/17/big-community-survey-thanks-taking-part/

Now this is interesting. I'm really curious about people's votes and answers.

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
Hmmm ... in reading that, maybe they'll release some of the results, yet not sure how much we'll really see.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Yodhrin

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 08:06:14 AM »
I have a sneaky suspicion that Warhammer Community will be reporting that everything is awesome and fantastic and pure dead brilliant, and everyone loves what they've done with 40K and AoS and they're totally taking on board all our feedback that we want more biggerer tanks and monsters and deffo *loads* of Primarchs.

Just a feeling like...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I have a sneaky suspicion that Warhammer Community will be reporting that everything is awesome and fantastic and pure dead brilliant, and everyone loves what they've done with 40K and AoS and they're totally taking on board all our feedback that we want more biggerer tanks and monsters and deffo *loads* of Primarchs.

Just a feeling like...

It's more than likely, aye.

Gneisenau

• Members
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
Gw employees when asked about Warhammer:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
To be honest I disagree. There's been a huge change in GW over the past year or so. It's not a full change, and there are still things to complain about, but they've opened themselves up to the community by a huge extent. The survey is one example. Old GW would never even have bothered.

That's not to mention how their doing in 40k. Actual playtesting, inviting the big tournaments/events and players to participate in playtesting, FAQ's actually on a regular basis and quickly. They do the same in AoS as well.

I get that there's a lot of bitterness left over from how they ended fantasy, not to mention the years of abuse they heaped on long time players, but I really do think we're seeing some changes to that.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
I agree, the new GW is much, much better than the old one. Open, social media-friendly, listening to their customers. I love it.

Gneisenau

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
There'd have not been need of a survey for these simple reasons:
Warhammer existed and had the best fluff and artists.
Annual manuals with FAQ and rules revision ( Warhammer Chronicles) and  selection of WD articles.
Free downloadable rules for skirmishes and smaller games on GW site( Skirmish, Path  to Glory, Warhammer Warbands) plus wallpapers,tutorials for painting, converting and sceneries and much more material on the old Gw site.
Listening to community when they did Dark elves errata (dark elves forum sent a letter to GW) plus answering mails in WDs.
Campaign books plus General's Compendium plus paper catalogues.
Proper Games Days  with previews and Golden Demons held in different countries.
Eeeeew all that sucked! :biggriin:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »
All that stuffs great, your listing off plenty of things I loved about the hobby, but it's all also a decade if not more old. In between that we all know GW went through a very bad period where the marketing people seem to have taken over. The important thing I think is that we seem to be changing BACK to those glory days. I for one hope they continue in their current direction.

Offline Yodhrin

• Members
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 12:21:18 AM »
Problem is it's no use talking to us if they're talking about something we've no interest in. In an abstract sense tighter rules is a good thing, so is more communication, but I don't care about AoS and I didn't want timeline advancement for 40K(and don't like the result). Since they're highly unlikely to actually listen if what's being said is "bring back the WHF setting" or "stop adding Primarchs to 40K they don't belong there" and so on, practically things are no different.

Obviously you'll get a lot more out of their new attitude - to whatever extent it proves to be genuine in the longer term - if you like AoS as an IP, or if your main enjoyment comes from playing the actual game more than anything else, but if the fiction specifically of WHF and 40K as-was are your jam GW are still pretty much GW.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 02:43:47 AM »
Wait, isn't this thread suppose to be about a survey? :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
All that stuffs great, your listing off plenty of things I loved about the hobby, but it's all also a decade if not more old. In between that we all know GW went through a very bad period where the marketing people seem to have taken over. The important thing I think is that we seem to be changing BACK to those glory days. I for one hope they continue in their current direction.

Marketing people. You are far too kind. I would have said something like "Business school bros who know conventional business wisdom, but know little to nothing about the actual product they're selling."

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2018, 04:33:07 AM »
So Marketing?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.