home

Author Topic: AoS Tournament, 1500pts Free People and Friends Help  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Inquisitor Jex

• Members
AoS Tournament, 1500pts Free People and Friends Help
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
As per the title, there's a 1500 pts tounrey coming at my local store, and I'm participating.  Of course being a tourney, I'm certain everyone will bring their A-game, usually meaning but monster units that throws out pain and suffering en masse. 

Now, I got my list ready, it is just that I got last minute questions on what would be better: more punch or more bodies.

List #1

Heroes
Free People General with Banner
Battle Wizard (Fire)
Gunmaster

Units
10x Archers
10xHandgunners
20xGuard (Swords+shields)
10xGreatSwords
5x Pistoliers
1xCanon
1x Steam Tank

Other
State Troop Detachment -I combine the General, Archers, Handgunners, Swordsmen and Greatsword into a detachment, granting them +1 to hit when 6 inches from one-another, +1 Bravery 10inches form the general and don't lookse any model on a Battleshock roll of 1 (or 1-2 with a Banner)

List #2 (Bold is what is changed from list 1)

Heroes
Battle Wizard (Fire)
Gunmaster

Units
10xHandgunners
10xHandgunners
20xGreatswords
5x Pistoliers
5x Outriders (which can be also made into Pistoliers for a block of 10)
1xCanon

Other
State Troop Detachment- The other unit of handgunners replace the archers, making the thing still viable.

So one got a steam tank, for more heavy wounds, while the other got more body...thing is which one would be more vialbe in a tourney versus big things?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: AoS Tournament, 1500pts Free People and Friends Help
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:06:17 AM »
I have yet to play any matched games with anyone let alone a tourney,  but steathnightsteg and oxygutor would be the guys to help. I like your list so please report back how it makes out. 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
Is Empire State Troops Detachment even still valid? I didn't think it was as technically most of the warscrolls it requires no longer exist.

I'm also an AoS nub though so believe others over myself on this one.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Falconut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »
I would like to join this tournament as well. What do I do?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Looks like a good thread for W:AoS area! :icon_mrgreen:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
As per the title, there's a 1500 pts tounrey coming at my local store, and I'm participating.  Of course being a tourney, I'm certain everyone will bring their A-game, usually meaning but monster units that throws out pain and suffering en masse. 

Now, I got my list ready, it is just that I got last minute questions on what would be better: more punch or more bodies.

List #1

Heroes
Battle Wizard (Fire)
Gunmaster

Units
10x Archers
10xHandgunners
10xGreatSwords
5x Pistoliers
1xCanon
1x Steam Tank

Other
State Troop Detachment -I combine the General, Archers, Handgunners, Swordsmen and Greatsword into a detachment, granting them +1 to hit when 6 inches from one-another, +1 Bravery 10inches form the general and don't lookse any model on a Battleshock roll of 1 (or 1-2 with a Banner)

List #2 (Bold is what is changed from list 1)

Heroes
Battle Wizard (Fire)
Gunmaster

Units
10xHandgunners
10xHandgunners
20xGreatswords
5x Pistoliers
5x Outriders (which can be also made into Pistoliers for a block of 10)
1xCanon

Other
State Troop Detachment- The other unit of handgunners replace the archers, making the thing still viable.

So one got a steam tank, for more heavy wounds, while the other got more body...thing is which one would be more vialbe in a tourney versus big things?

Hi, I realise this questions was asked way back in February, but I've only seen it since it's been moved to the Age of Sigmar section of the forum.

There is quite a bit to into here to go through.

First off, tournaments generally use the most up to date set of rules, so that would be the points, and matched play rules from the General's Handbook 2017 (GHB2017).   I'd check with your tournament organiser to make sure, but the rest of my post is going to go on that assumption.

Even if you were using the first GHB from 2016, there might be problems with these lists.  There's no mention of your army's allegiance, or command trait or artefacts, so are you only going off a list of points?   

So the State Troop Detachment isn't a valid warscroll battalion any more.  State troops units didn't get points in GHB 2016, as only the Free Peoples units did, and as of GHB2017, that battalion no longer has a points value.  You can't really build an army with an allegiance of Compendium Empire that would be valid under current matched play rules.

The first of your armies has a number of units from Free Peoples, Collegiate Arcane and Ironweld Arsenal.  You would have to have the Order grand alliance allegiance, as you would be way over points for allies if you wanted a Free Peoples allegiance. At 1500 points you can only have 300 points worth of allies.  And the Battlemage, Gunmaster, Steam Tank and Cannon add up to over 600.  Eve dropping the Steam Tank in the second list, the rest would put you over the allies allowance, so your army would have to count as Order allegiance.

I haven't myself tried out Free Peoples in matched play for a while, certainly not since GHB2017, when Free Peoples got specific allegiance abilities, command traits and aertefacts.   If I do I'd build an army around that allegiance, as the allegiance ability is very good for Free Peoples, where i would probably want a big unit of greatswords, a big unit of handgunners, and a few small units of Freeguild Guard.  At 1500, you're pretty much forced to use the Freeguild General  (On horse with banner) rather than Freeguild General on Griffon which is actually a really strong monster

Offline Inquisitor Jex

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:42:03 AM »

Hi, I realise this questions was asked way back in February, but I've only seen it since it's been moved to the Age of Sigmar section of the forum.

There is quite a bit to into here to go through.

First off, tournaments generally use the most up to date set of rules, so that would be the points, and matched play rules from the General's Handbook 2017 (GHB2017).   I'd check with your tournament organiser to make sure, but the rest of my post is going to go on that assumption.

Even if you were using the first GHB from 2016, there might be problems with these lists.  There's no mention of your army's allegiance, or command trait or artefacts, so are you only going off a list of points?   

So the State Troop Detachment isn't a valid warscroll battalion any more.  State troops units didn't get points in GHB 2016, as only the Free Peoples units did, and as of GHB2017, that battalion no longer has a points value.  You can't really build an army with an allegiance of Compendium Empire that would be valid under current matched play rules.

The first of your armies has a number of units from Free Peoples, Collegiate Arcane and Ironweld Arsenal.  You would have to have the Order grand alliance allegiance, as you would be way over points for allies if you wanted a Free Peoples allegiance. At 1500 points you can only have 300 points worth of allies.  And the Battlemage, Gunmaster, Steam Tank and Cannon add up to over 600.  Eve dropping the Steam Tank in the second list, the rest would put you over the allies allowance, so your army would have to count as Order allegiance.

I haven't myself tried out Free Peoples in matched play for a while, certainly not since GHB2017, when Free Peoples got specific allegiance abilities, command traits and aertefacts.   If I do I'd build an army around that allegiance, as the allegiance ability is very good for Free Peoples, where i would probably want a big unit of greatswords, a big unit of handgunners, and a few small units of Freeguild Guard.  At 1500, you're pretty much forced to use the Freeguild General  (On horse with banner) rather than Freeguild General on Griffon which is actually a really strong monster

Hey, long time no come m'self.

Yes, I should have pointed out that I was autorised to use the warscrolls from General's Handbook's #1; my 'fallback' plan was to use the Order Allegiance.  I can actually do a Free People Regiment with the models I have, but most are still on the sprues and somewhere on the 'to do' pile.

As for the tourney itself, it got cancelled as only 3 people showed up, a forth participant called in last minute to said he couldn't show up, so we got reimbursed, and I played one game against one of the other two there, using List #2.  He was playing Orge, having 2 Orge Mammoth rider models (no idea of the name now) who's got a 6 mortal wounds shooting attack when at full wounds, and he had some artefacts that can heal 1d3 or 1d6 wounds per hero phase, the other was a Shaman/Wizard of sorts with some healing magic, with three, 3-Orge units and I think some Orge shooting unit.  I killed some of his units, the 2 Mammoth Riders were healing each other.  When he got in range of my general on turn 3-4, it got over pretty quick for me, but most of my units held their ground, until turn 6, thanks to the State Troop Detachment and banner combo on the battle shock.