home

Author Topic: 'Nilla or no 'nilla?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline That Empire Soldier

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:28:22 PM »
Is it more effective to take two units of 5 knights or one big unit of ten with full command?
"For the Empire!"

-heretic 01

Offline Pido

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »
In both cases it's more effective to use the Search Function.

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:51:57 PM »
Is that supposed to be funny. :?
"For the Empire!"

-heretic 01

Offline Kernschatten

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:01:35 PM »
There have been several threads on the subject of size of units of knights. Last week: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7206

Much of it has to do with the role that you want the knights to fulfill.
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline Fafnir

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 10:31:21 PM »
Quote from: That Empire Soldier
Is that supposed to be funny. :?

Don't know. But it was. :)
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 10:32:11 PM »
Well, I'm not asking in general what size should a knight unit be, but what would you prefer? Two units of 5 or one unit of 10 with command.
"For the Empire!"

-heretic 01

Offline Thorion

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:33:39 PM »
2 Units of 5 or 6 are my first preference.  Then, after you have those, you can make a unit of 10.
"Let them hate, so long as they fear." - Lucius Accius

Offline Fafnir

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 10:38:38 PM »
Ah. In that case I have fielded a unit of 10 for quite some time, but when I get back to my Empire army (which has been on the back burner for a while) I will split them into two units of 5 (and repaint them).

I find that in an army so heavily based on large infantry units such as mine large units of knights are less than effective.

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 10:50:54 PM »
I guess I'll test out both to find my preference.
"For the Empire!"

-heretic 01

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 09:13:18 AM »
That's probably the best way to go about it.
My own army is so infantry heavy that Knights perform a support role (and being bound for points they are necessarily small) where a small unit is tactically better because it's easier to move around the field and even more important it's not so bad to sacrifice it for the greater good of the battle.
An army needs expendables IMO. :-D
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »
I've made good use of a unit of 6 IC WW knights, with full command and the War Banner. They are relatively cheap and make a good hammer unit when provided with adequate support. Against a ranked infantry unit to the fore, they start at -3 CR; with seven S6 and six S3 attacks they should be able to pull off a draw or at least not lose by much. They might even win by a point or two. Because they are WW, they will continue to be combat effective with S5 in subsequent rounds so they can tie up low-strength infantry for quite some time - enough time, for example, for the Pistoliers to show up and take the flank. Enemy units with S5 or higher are a problem though and require another plan :-D

Still, this unit is about as expensive as two 'nilla units and the improved flexibility of two rather than one is a GOOD thing.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 12:47:59 PM »
10 with full command and inner circle (and a character in the front rank) are a hammer unit.

5 nilla knights are more flankers and there for flexiblility.  

My newist list includes both.  20 knights in 3 units.  Since the knight units fill different roles, I don't know if you can compare them.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »
I've decided on two units of 5 nilla for flanking, but it may change. But what kid of things should be given to the unit? Should on have inner circle?
"For the Empire!"

-heretic 01

Offline Fafnir

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 09:31:11 PM »
That's really for you to decide. If you don't have any other knights then there is little reason why one should not be Inner Circle, unless you are as obsessed about symmetry as I.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 06:41:19 AM »
There's also points cost! You want to be able to sacrifice these guys. A Musician might be a good option, but other than that, I wouldn't upgrade.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline AldebrandLudenhof

• Members
  • London, UK
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 08:14:21 AM »
I like units of 8 ranked 4x2!! :P

*looks stupid*

Seriously, I used to take two 10-strong hammer units, and have moved to normaly 1 unit of 8 and 1 of 7, including a chcracter in each of those totals, who deploy in one line, and normaly reach the enemy as 2 units of 6.

Generaly I guess the 5s are better value, but as was mentioned, it depends whether you want them to be the icing on the cake of your combat res trap, or to be a big hammer unit *shrugs*

Offline TheBuilder

• Members
'Nilla or no 'nilla?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 01:49:36 PM »
I take a 5 man 'nilla unit and a 5 IC unit with full command, warbanner, and knight captain for a solid rock hammer.

The second unit isnt that expensive.  Including the captain its only 273 points and should break a full unit of orcs on the charge.

Im a sucker for having a little bit of everything...
The long road back to Stirland...