home

Author Topic: VHS + Mace of Helsturm  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
VHS + Mace of Helsturm
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
This may have been discussed, and it would take quite a bit of threadomancy to resurrect it, so forgive me if this has been discussed, and I couldn't find the thread. (If it exisists.)

So, how does the Mace work with VHS?  I would think that I would forfeit all "normal" attacks, to make the one special attack, then swap with the VHS, thus it would deny the enemy an attack back since I already forfeited it, and I strike with "attacks"  or is it you swap, then forfeit those attacks you just swapped to make the one special.
I am not quite sure what order it would work in, and it is just the basic stat line, so you would not get bonuses if the enemy has a weapon that adds to his stat line.  (Ie; additional hand weapon +1Atk)

What is the best weapon for an character to take with the VHS?
The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: VHS + Mace of Helsturm
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »
you switch your profile (base stats) and than you are reduced to a single BAM attack.

Offline themightybiggun

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
you swap the base profiles and then you trade whatever attacks you got from the opponent for the 1 cannonball attack...

The cannon ball on a stick is a really good item for surprise squishing characters. I get a lot of mileage out of the Sword of Sigismund as well...
Artillery is the god of war.
-Stalin

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:33 AM »
As long as the enemy does not have a ward save, it is a superb Charkiller! The problem is that you get very uselsess if the opponent declines a challenge or if there is no-one to challenge. Enemy ward saves can also be troublesome, as is killing blow.

But against Orcs, Warlords, Champs (for Combat Resolution), Monsters and chariots it is superb!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
It's a great set up cause if you run into big nasty things you can swap stats with them. When up against unit champs etc. you use the mace and get decent combat res that way.

Its the only set up I take personally.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
But with VHS and Mace you can't have the AoMI. I would personally take the AoMI and then either the mace or VHS with a good magic weapon (either SoSigismund or SoFate).
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
you can take heavy armour, shield. Thats a 2+ against shooting, 4+ in combat, 4+ ward save. I dunno in my experience and thats sending the AL into Blood thirsters, skulltaker, vamp lords he'ds done more then alright without AoMI
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline crazydan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
I thought the War Altar gave a armor save to the people riding it of +2.
So a AL riding the WL should be 5+
Heavy Armor 3+
Shield 1+

for a total of a 2+ Armor Save and 4+ ward save.

Am I wrong?
OKay, Okay Sigmar is a god...but we stout men of Middenheim still are not going to shave! (Or bathe)

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
apparently you only get the chariot bonus against shooting. At least according to Obi.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
Indeed. Chariots only grant AS bonus against ranged attacks (even magic missiles), not in close combat.

Offline Auberoun

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »
I will be playing against Skaven, who have a fun item that allows for no armor save.  So, taking AoMI while effective most of the time, (OR dawn armor for that matter) will not be against that item, which I know my opponent will most definitely take.  So, my main concern is taking the character out before he has a chance to do much damage to my characters with it.

Offline nub5

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
I will be playing against Skaven, who have a fun item that allows for no armor save.  So, taking AoMI while effective most of the time, (OR dawn armor for that matter) will not be against that item, which I know my opponent will most definitely take.  So, my main concern is taking the character out before he has a chance to do much damage to my characters with it.

There is a lot of stuff in the new Skaven Armor that ignore AS.  Aside from their neat gizmos (magic items) and spells, the plague monks(?) have cause a T test or suffer no AS wound.
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:
And the dice like non-proxied, painted minis. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline Auberoun

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »
So what is the best way to combat this?  (Besides the obvious Ward save) :?

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »

well considering most of the no AS stuff is shooting...

I'd say charge is the way to combat this

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

If you are talking about the plague censers (T-test): for (one of) your characters the Crimson Amulet comes in handy. The plague censer bearers are also frenzied (if I am not mistaken), so you can bait them away.
Otherwise, as said before, shooting (including magic), and, little used, but against Skaven very effective, the good old mortar. I know, it is heresy, but here you might even consider taking an engineer (with the HLR) for the reroll.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline nub5

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »

Bait them cause they are frenzy (though they are M5), shoot them down or if you do combat them ensure you can generate enough static CR to compensate.  Since they are skirmishers they will always line up to your frontage.
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:
And the dice like non-proxied, painted minis. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol: