home

Author Topic: War of the roses themed army  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Armfelt

• Members
War of the roses themed army
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
Modelwise: I am really fond in Perry miniatures models, and am wondering wether to build a force of them or not as an alternative to GW's range. But I would probably use GW's heroes and lords. The theme will be a bit historical, but with exception of independent characters and some machinery as the steam tank. I would use the design of Leonardo da Vinci as steam tank.

Fluffwise: Could it work that this province is near the border of Bretonnia, so they share a bit more cultural similarities?

What would you think about the idea?

Scale:

They are quite a bit thinner, and the size difference is mostly noted on mounted units and weapons. But for the weapons I guess that the defending argument could be that ordinary humans would be too encumbered using WoC-sized weapons etc.

Greatswords:

Knightly orders:

Infantry Core:

Great cannon:

Da Vinci's (Steam) tank:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:52:15 AM by Armfelt »
My Armies: Empire, Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, Imperial Fists.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: War of the roses themed army
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I say go for it! :::cheers:::

The Perry figures seem to be more of a true 28mm, rather than the "heroic" 28mm made by GW.

The only provinces bordering Bretonnia are Reikland and Wissenland, although Marienburg, and the area near by it, could be another possibility.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Plenty of those figures are being used in my Tilean Campaign. I love them - and you will too. One player even used early 17th century figures in a very 'modern' pike and shot army.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Armfelt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
Thank you for your replies. And I got more excited at starting an Empire force. Now it is the decision on which kit(s) to get first...

I guess it will be a men-at-arms and a foot knight box, plus a culverin seems the be quite obligatory.
My Armies: Empire, Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, Imperial Fists.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
Plenty of those figures are being used in my Tilean Campaign. I love them - and you will too. One player even used early 17th century figures in a very 'modern' pike and shot army.

Dont have any spare pike arms you'd like to trade for handguns by a chance?
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Cal1989

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/Cal1989
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Perry Miniatures are awesome they currently make up the bulk of my Averland Army; I've thematically based my force during the War of the Three Emperors, explainging the more Medieval look of the soldiers rather than the 16th century puff and slash style. My force is based out of Hochsleben near the Blackfire pass so are busy there and allying them with Reikland or Marienburg as it suits them.

I've recently purshased the foot knights box it's a lovely box - very nice minis.
'The extent of a Man's wisdom and goodness will bring him fame, and even death will not extinguish his memory nor his glory, beauty or youth or whatever else'. - Giles of Paris

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

Dont have any spare pike arms you'd like to trade for handguns by a chance?

Sorry, no. A 40 strong halberd unit used them up I think - my shouldered halberds were converted from those arms. Still, I will look when I get a chance.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
I've recently purshased the foot knights box it's a lovely box - very nice minis.

Oh ... I didn't realise they were already out. Sheesh, you blink and two boxes come along at the same time.

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Members
  • It's nothing, sir. Just a burn from a ray gun.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »

Which we will be seeing soon? Also, armfelt, have you seen http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/333121.page?userfilterid=15237