home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 142676 times)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 29Jan2017 - Halberdiers)
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »
Some lovely halberdiers there! That ogre looks great as well  :::cheers:::
cheers,
Lee

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
The Scarlet Curs, eh. I can just imagine there being a colonel somewhere in Wolfenburg keeping a list with two columns, writing a note in the left whenever they do an act of outstanding performance in war, and a note in the right whenever there's an incident of too unprovoked manslaughter or a molestation of a too decent woman. Should the right column ever grow too much longer than the left, demotion to free company status would happen.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Man that Ogre filler is just great. I love the paintjob and their symbols. Truly great work! :eusa_clap:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
Liking the Scarlet Curs, and looking forward to seeing the crossbowmen when completed! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2017, 02:19:12 AM »
Some lovely halberdiers there! That ogre looks great as well  :::cheers:::
Man that Ogre filler is just great. I love the paintjob and their symbols. Truly great work! :eusa_clap:
thanks! you know, I realized I now have three of these ogres, i.e. a minimum size unit. Must resist going down that path towards an Ostland-ish Ogre army.

The Scarlet Curs, eh. I can just imagine there being a colonel somewhere in Wolfenburg keeping a list with two columns, writing a note in the left whenever they do an act of outstanding performance in war, and a note in the right whenever there's an incident of too unprovoked manslaughter or a molestation of a too decent woman. Should the right column ever grow too much longer than the left, demotion to free company status would happen.
yes, that is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. In the warhammer world it shouldn't be too hard for the brass to find an assignment that'll cut an unruly unit down to size.

Liking the Scarlet Curs, and looking forward to seeing the crossbowmen when completed! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Thanks. and, wait no more. Here they are:

25Feb2017

Update time. A little unit of Crossbowmen has joined the Nordland contingent at Volganof. Quite charming models from what I consider the Golden Age of Empire miniatures.

For once I am quite happy with the banner. It’s a simple paper print-out of the ‘official’ Nordland banner and then colored in while staying between the lines. My proudest moment was boldly painting over the ship in the center and adding a cross that ended up not terribly crooked …and then doing it again on the reverse. Also, check out the hair on the standard bearer. They don’t sculpt curls like that anymore nowadays.

The musician (and maybe the guy on the right) is from a later DoW unit but fits right in with the rest of the unit. It’s all about wearing the right hat.

On the side I added to the bad guys. Anybody want to venture a guess what is peeking over the log?

The official Volganof counter:
812/969
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
Lovely colours on those.  :happy:

The musician (and maybe the guy on the right) is from a later DoW unit but fits right in with the rest of the unit. It’s all about wearing the right hat.

The muscian is DOW indeed, but the other one is from the right era.  :smile2:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 25Feb2017 - Crossbows)
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
Lovely colours on those classic crossbowmen. And nice to see what I suppose is an old chaos spawn photobombing them? From one of the sillier spells of chaos models...

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Lovely project! Nice painting and some fantastic conversions! I'm especially impressed by that huge unit of Reiksguard knights.  That Nordland colour scheme works really well too. Thanks for sharing. :::cheers:::

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
I really like the colour scheme of the crossbow men. Really nice blend
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
Audacious painting - love it!
cheers,
Lee

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
why do those snake heads remind me of the evil dead?? lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
Quite charming models from what I consider the Golden Age of Empire miniatures.

So true!

Very nice unit, love the color scheme and the painting job.  :eusa_clap:
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2017, 03:52:55 AM »
I like the yellow!

If I recall, those crossbowmen were sold in packs of two, correct?  And if I recall, might have some of the hand gunners from the same era, but don't believe I own any of the crossbowmen unfortunately.  The drummer seems to be from the Marksmen of Mirgliano, and I have a few of those wonderful figures, too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:34 AM »
Lovely colours on those.  :happy:

The muscian is DOW indeed, but the other one is from the right era.  :smile2:
I like the yellow!

If I recall, those crossbowmen were sold in packs of two, correct?  And if I recall, might have some of the hand gunners from the same era, but don't believe I own any of the crossbowmen unfortunately.  The drummer seems to be from the Marksmen of Mirgliano, and I have a few of those wonderful figures, too.
cheers guys! I've dug through old army books and googled a bit and the drummer is indeed a Marksmen of Miragliano. The actual crossbowmen are Tilean crossbowmen from late 3/4th edition. I guess that explains the similarity in headgear. It is simply the latest fashion worn all over Tilea. There never were command models for the original crossbowmen so that musician was a good choice if I dare say so. The standard bearer is of course a simple conversion using one of the old metal banner poles while leaving off the crossbow.

I am pretty sure there were more than two guys in the blisters back in the day. But, I also wouldn't put it beyond GW to lower the model count per blister over the years. They made quite a few nice handgunners in those days as well. The 4th edition army book shows them in all their glory. But, they weren't Tileans and so had proper helmets or floppy heads.

Lovely project! Nice painting and some fantastic conversions! I'm especially impressed by that huge unit of Reiksguard knights.  That Nordland colour scheme works really well too. Thanks for sharing. :::cheers:::
Thanks, that means a lot coming from Mr. Reiksguard! Only 30 Reiksguard to go to bring them up to full Volganof strength.

I really like the colour scheme of the crossbow men. Really nice blend
Audacious painting - love it!
Quite charming models from what I consider the Golden Age of Empire miniatures.
So true!
Very nice unit, love the color scheme and the painting job.  :eusa_clap:
cheers guys. it is a very forgiving and simple color scheme...which is why I like it.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2017, 05:35:15 AM »
why do those snake heads remind me of the evil dead?? lol
Lovely colours on those classic crossbowmen. And nice to see what I suppose is an old chaos spawn photobombing them? From one of the sillier spells of chaos models...

clearly, Shadespyre answered Zak. It's the silliness.

That spawn is not from a Golden Age, I'd put that quite a bit later for Chaos by and large. Somehow I ended up with the heads in my bitsbox and it was time to use them. Time for the great reveal.

I imagine the heads having quite a few disagreements, all THREE of them

In more serious Volganof business I am working my way through a unit of huntsmen, stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:37:19 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
Mind sharing your recipe for the yellow?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Incredible spawn! If the conversations are anything like kairos fateweaver , they shall be funny. Love the hand around the book ....then I saw his other arm. This guy has really gone down the chaos path 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
hahaha awesome !!!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
sure...although it is embarrassingly simple. white primer, averland sunset basecoat, heavy wash with agrax earthshade, highlight raised areas with averland sunset again. occasionally I give some areas that really stick out a second highlight with a 'yellower' yellow (I use an ancient pot of sunburst yellow) but don't think I did on the crossbowmen. note: the photos make the yellow a bit more orange than it really is.

Incredible spawn! If the conversations are anything like kairos fateweaver , they shall be funny. Love the hand around the book ....then I saw his other arm. This guy has really gone down the chaos path 😸
I think this guy is still a sorcerer judging by the base size. but yes, he may already have taken the wrong turn on the path to damnation and there isn't a lot of humanity left.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
That Spawn is creepy as hell! I absolutely adore it. The face on its back is damn disturbing and I love it. :biggriin:

Also the Marksmen of Miragliano are some of the finest minis, ever made for WFB.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
sure...although it is embarrassingly simple. white primer, averland sunset basecoat, heavy wash with agrax earthshade, highlight raised areas with averland sunset again. occasionally I give some areas that really stick out a second highlight with a 'yellower' yellow (I use an ancient pot of sunburst yellow) but don't think I did on the crossbowmen. note: the photos make the yellow a bit more orange than it really is.
Thank you!

By the way, realize these guys aren't suppose to be this, but when I first saw them they brought to mind the colors of Solland, white and yellow.  I've been wanting to do a Solland unit and perhaps I'll use this recipe to paint them, much appreciated!

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »
Only about 150 minis to paint! Go on Naitsabes, go on!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »
Only about 150 minis to paint! Go on Naitsabes, go on!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Going, going. not sprinting mind you, it's more of a walking pace.  :-P

23March2017
Alright! I finished Volgar and his Shadowmen. Supposedly they are “the most famous of forest hunters“ and “skilled beyond the ken of their countrymen”. Now, I am sure they are deadly…to rabbits and pheasants. Not convinced those S3 bows will do much to chaos warriors. They deploy as an unwieldy scouting unit of twenty. My main goal for them is that they are not a vehicle for some giant unit of baddies to get to the walls of Volganof real fast via pursuit/overrun. Yep, I am not overly ambitious. But, that doom and gloom is just on the gaming side. I quite enjoyed building and painting up the models. It is nice not to worry about ranking up for once. I tried not using a bright spot color, these being stealthy hunters and all. So, they do look earthy.

Building the skirmish tray was a bit painful. Balsawood and sheet metal do not really like to bond. A real anachronism in the Age of 3D printing (not to mention Sigmar).

Mostly these are GW archers which is a really nice kit. I mixed in some Frostgrave soldiers. They needed GW-sized arms and heads to really fit in although I snuck a couple Frostgrave heads onto the GW bodies as well. Worked out okay I think. Second from left is (slightly blurry) Volgar himself front and back. The cloak was my first try at going beyond ‘single color basecoat with wash’ on fur. Happy with how it came out.

The book states: Loud cheers went up from the walls of Volganof when the hunting horns of the Shadowmen were sounded. Well, there must be some desperate people in Volganof. But, of course that meant the unit needed a musician. Really like the pained expression on the face. That guy must have spent too many miserable nights sleeping on the damp forest floor and now rheumatism is catching up with him.

On the side I painted up another mounted warrior priest. He is not in the list at the moment but, that may change. I mean, if I put one warrior priest in a unit of 15 knights normally, does that mean there should be three priests in the crazy Volganof-sized Reiksguard units of 45? Anyway, here he is, Lothar the Priest. Unlike his twin brother Luthor he does not blindfold his horse or bring books to battle (or maybe the model was incomplete when I bought it…). It’s a really great sculpt. The hammer could be a bit smaller for my taste but I like the pose.

The official Volganof counter:
828/969

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23March2017 - Huntsmen & Priest)
« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23March2017 - Huntsmen & Priest)
« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2017, 02:48:22 AM »
Your painting is really magnificent.

The red barding in the bottom of lothar's horse - is that just red paper? It looks great!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.