home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140854 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 8Aug2016 - house & galloper gun)
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
Enjoying the softer tones of your colors, like the blue & yellow of the mortar crew, the green of the great swordsmen, and the blue of the galloper gun crew. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
This is madness. Really impressive project!

Too bad you dont have hundreds of pics of the Kislev battle. It looks absolutely epic.

Remember to take more pictures whenever the battle for Volganof happens  :-D
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2016, 05:52:11 AM »
Exactly, this is the next level in our scale of wargaming: thinking on the next home in terms of playing, modelling and storing warhammer!  :icon_lol: (I did it, recently...)
Right yeah. I'll run that by the wife and get back to you.  :roll:

This is madness. Really impressive project!

Too bad you dont have hundreds of pics of the Kislev battle. It looks absolutely epic.

Remember to take more pictures whenever the battle for Volganof happens  :-D
Thanks, yes, if and when Volganof happens there will be better documentation. Chances are we'll have automated mini-drones taking pictures from impossible angles by then...

Enjoying the softer tones of your colors, like the blue & yellow of the mortar crew, the green of the great swordsmen, and the blue of the galloper gun crew. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Thanks! It is the mystic power of the devlan mud for the most part that does it.

Okay, so not really an update today, but I am unreasonably excited about my progress on the Vasili-off, i.e. the two models that are going face to face to represent Vasili von Raukov one day. So I wanted to share.

I've started from the fat Bretonnian guy from a few pages back here and for a while was struggling what to do about the medieval chest and shoulder area. Until it dawned on me: when in doubt, slap on some fur and so I did and it looks quite alright to me. At the moment Bret-based Vasili is my early favorite, let's see what the paint job will do.

Hey, I may open this to a popular vote! You get to choose my Vasili. But, let me get these guys painted first.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Thanks! It is the mystic power of the devlan mud for the most part that does it.
Always enjoyed Devlan mud, not sure I have more than one pot remaining though.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2016, 04:34:37 AM »
21 Sep2016
Time for a chaotic interlude, not much to see here for faithful servants of Sigmar.

Here is a Mutalith Vortex Beast in all the glory I can bestow upon it. This kit gets a lot of flak on the internet but I kind of like it (though the slaughterbrute head version admittedly is terrible). I don't like the stock pose of waving-and-about-to-fall-over so repositioned one arm which required a bit of shoulder surgery. After some back-and-forth I decided to leave off the vortex thing that should be on its back, the model is incredibly busy as it is.

I kind of like how otherworldy blue it looks. The big horn on the top left and the armor plates right above and below is what I added to cover up the hole left after the arm repositioning. I think it does blend in because again, the whole critter is such a mess of armor plates and spikes and horns.

so many spikes. I admit painting got painful at times. The wall became necessary because I couldn't get the arm to reach all the way to the ground. But, now I like it.

"There is something behind me, right?"

Seriously, being a soldier is hard enough when fighting bad guys with guns or swords. but this? Not sure how the Empire finds recruits. Or maybe these Old Worlders are from a hardier stock than me.

While I was at it I also snapped two pictures of these guys...they took the wrong turn on the Path to Glory.

This is the freakiest part, looks like Gollum failed to reach demonhood:

Finally, just to prove I haven’t given up on the Empire, here are the first of the Scarlet Curs assembling (also some Reiksguard in the background). I want the Curs to look like seasoned no-nonsense soldiers. so few frills, proper boots to hunt down beastmen in the soggy fens of Ostland and so forth. We’ll see how it goes.

That's all for now. No Volganof counter this time, it would be too depressing.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 9Sep2016 - chaotic interlude)
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:35 AM »
aha, no love for chaos. there may yet  be hope for the Empire  :roll:

this really isn't a proper update. I am just trying to solicit some feedback on the shield design for the Scarlet Curs. Here is where I am at:

Due to the name of the regiment, 'red' should somehow be incorporated. I also want to use the black decals. And, the regiment is from Ostland, so black-white needs to be in, for example I wouldn't want to use red-white quartering.

The shield on the right is my best effort. But, maybe somebody has a better idea?

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Why not a red shield with the black wolf decal and a black and white chequered trim at the top of the shield?  It will combine all your need together, however your shields look ace in any case.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »
they are curs, no set design, do each one different but using the same colors throughout.  I like the direction that you are taking this unit, and I love the mix of figures, I do not think I have seen a heroquest henchman in a long time,  that is what he is, isn't it?  steveb

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
cheers guys. I will take these under consideration. If I do a bunch of different design I could keep the decal as the unifying theme. And, my first attempt will be putting a checkered trim on that left-most red shield. All the blame will be on you, King, if that shield goes south.  :wink:

and yes, steveb, that's an advanced heroquest henchmen. I got a couple in an ebay lot. Surprisingly good sculpts considering their age. They even come with two different halberd tops and there is a sword version. Planning to do some head swaps when I bulk out the unit.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2016, 01:36:49 AM »
I just want to say, i love this thread. The scarlet curs look great.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »
Splendid work! I love the colours and those Spawns are damn disturbing!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
Awesome work! I love the big chaos beastie, your right about the blue looking very otherworldly. The tentacles are going to give any Empire solider nightmares.

The Cur's are looking good as well. I like the way the red and black is working.

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
Nice job on those Ostlanders! Love that scheme. I would test red for the shield, maybe with a white figure in.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

this is just a little update to keep me motivated as I didn't have much time lately for hobby. Portly potential Vasili is mostly done. Skinny potential Vasili still needs much more work (and hence is not pictured). Also, here are some checkered shields. painful stuff, I don't know how these space ork guys do it.

I was wondering if some of you have suggestions how to get the glossy sheen off the decals. I'd like to blend them in a little better. I guess the black could stay shiny but could I just paint the clear rim over with whatever the base color is? simple spray matt varnish didn't do it.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 28Oct2016 - just one guy)
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
Love the way you paint your Ostlanders. That single figure is really nice.

You can paint over the decals. Or use a tad bit heavier varnish with a brush. Many seem to use the decal as a base, and even paint over the emblem itself. Hope you find a pleasing solution to this!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »
Nice checkers.  The shields look ace like this  :::cheers::: Also Vasili looks the part too.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2016, 11:42:54 PM »
Zygmund, I think the decals look okay now, much less glossy. followed your advice and just painted over them.

Mr. King, thanks! but, is that Vassili? ..not just yet. see below   :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
23Nov2016

The great Vassili-off

okay, the time has come to make your voice heard! …and there shall be no Electoral College.

One of the main characters in the Volganof battle is Vassili von Raukov, son of the Elector count Valmir von Raukov. He is a capable administrator whose organizational skill in the months before that fateful battle gave the Empire a fighting chance according to some. Others see him as a cowardly drunk who wallowed about and tried to avoid the fighting. Maybe he is both? And, nobody claims he is much of a fighter. In the game he is pretty much just a liability. A guy with swordsman stats who gives up objective points if he gets killed. He 'leads' a unit of halberdiers, the Scarlet Curs.

I've painted up two models that I think could represent Vassili and now I will ask the internet to vote for their favorite Vassili. The other model will become the poor nameless unit champion, most likely going down in a challenge against some chaos guy in a feeble attempt to keep Vassili alive. The warhammer world is a harsh place indeed.

wait, what's this

nevermind, just a photobombing Reaper Bones griffin. let's carry on

and lastly, to show how they fit into the (as of yet unfinished) unit

So, who is it going to be? Portly Vassili on the left or lanky Vassili on the right? Your vote counts (and no, there is no fancy poll. you will have to post the old fashioned way).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:50:54 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23Nov2016 - Voter for Vassili)
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »
They both are great models, and i really really like them. However now that i have seen them painted, neither fit the character in my mind.
I do think a good administrator should be lanky, and a bad one fat. However i also consider a good administrator to have no beard.

Hmmm.
Anyway, i love your models and your thread!

What colour do you put under your white by the way? I like the way you do it...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:59:40 PM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
The one in red says e's dunnit! The beautiful model on the left. Looks like the champ will have to hold his hand!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23Nov2016 - Vote for Vassili)
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2016, 03:01:46 AM »
love it
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
As always, beautofully painted models! I really like both of them, but I think only the one on the right could be interpreted as being  a skilled tactician - the other has obviously been too busy stuffing his face to have to have time to think of war!

Also I really love how you painted the guy on the right's clothes, absolutely brilliant work!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: That does go for the shield as well, though!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
cheers, guys. Glad to see so many of care about making Volganof great...again.

As always, beautofully painted models! I really like both of them, but I think only the one on the right could be interpreted as being  a skilled tactician - the other has obviously been too busy stuffing his face to have to have time to think of war!
hey, many a great leader has been portly!

They both are great models, and i really really like them. However now that i have seen them painted, neither fit the character in my mind.
I do think a good administrator should be lanky, and a bad one fat. However i also consider a good administrator to have no beard.

Hmmm.
Anyway, i love your models and your thread!

What colour do you put under your white by the way? I like the way you do it...
If you don't like your choices I hear you are supposed to vote for the lesser evil. Or you could always put the griffin as the write-in candidate.

For the white I use two methods. When there are deep folds (like lanky Vassili's puffy sleeves) I base coat with bleached bone (or screaming skull I think it's called now). Then wash with agrax earthshade, then a thinned down layer of off-white (I use GW Pallid Wych Flesh) pretty much everywhere except the folds. Sometimes I repeat this step depending on how 'white' I want it. Finally, a little bit of plain white on the parts that stick out the most.

For less 'foldy' areas (e.g. last picture, the pants on the guy on the right). I start with an off-white basecoat, then proceed as above. This means the folds won't be as stark.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:47:11 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »
cheers, guys. Glad to see so many of care about making Volganof great...again.

:icon_lol:

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »
The fatter one, it makes more sense that the son of an elector would be relaxing and eating alot of the time, they are both great but the choice is clear
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son