home

Author Topic: Guvnor's Army- The Glorious Carrello Crusaders  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
Guvnor's Army- The Glorious Carrello Crusaders
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
After finding out how our camera actually works (but, by god, was it scary!)

I have finally put up pics of my army. It is based around an army that was sent o the crusades, containing an orginal mix of reikland and middenheim troops (hence colour scheme). Although the crusades were long ago, both the counts of middenheim and reikland contribute troops to this group, as it ensures peace between the two.

The Carrello Crusaders are based in two cities- They control Monte Carrello (a tilean town, but part of the empire, despite being disconnected from everywhereelse) and across the sea to the south the Citadel of Dijef, a grand citadel of a deposed sultan now ruled by the Carellians and survive by taxing the spices and many other exotic goods that come through the city.

So, the army:

And my two main regiments,

The Swordsmen,

The spearmen,

Count Filippo Guvnor, the leader,

And his lieutenant, captain rufus,

In addition, some crusading knights,

And the ever useful huntsmen,

The supporting handgunners and militia,

Lastly, The Count's faithful advisros- the Wizard and Priest.

What does everyone think?

BTW: Mods, don't hesitate to delete everything if it is too much bandwidth, apologies if so.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:03:55 PM »
I like it. The use of the TK shields and standard help tie in the theme, the skin tones are thoughtful too. The Standard Bearer in the third pic looks, to me, like he's coughing and the guy next to him is threatening him with a knuckle sandwhich.

Offline Fairbane

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:09:20 PM »
"Robby the Insane" doesn't sound very germanic to me ;)
"Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame.
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant, but the glory's in the game."

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:37:13 PM »
That Free Company fighter is scary! :shock:

Great work otherwise. A bit of detailing wouldn't go amiss, but it's a good tabletop quality.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »
Is that a zombie with the Free Company? :lol:
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Frederick Ironstrom

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »
A great army.

Love your wizard.

Standard bearer having a good old cough indeed... :lol:

Offline Guvnor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »
Coughing is only natural! I wanted them all to look real- and whats better than threatening the standard bearer with a punch if he doesn't stop spreading germs! :wink:

I like the name Bobby- He could be from anywhere...

It is a normal FC model but I painted it as a zombie- he is infiltrating the army (very subtly, of course)

Better Pic here:

What do you mean by detailing- any suggestions?

BTW: I have found all empire armies around here to be boring Dwarf Flesh, highlighted with elf flesh, blah, blah, blah. I now run small classes with my favourite staff member in my GW about skin tone painting.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »
Who doesn't love zombie pirates! Good job on the sick green skintone.

With detailing, I mostly meant the little ribbons, straps, buttons, buckles, strings, etc. Perhaps you could also toss in a little copper/gold to differentiate between different sections of armour, or between the hilt/crossguard and blade of a weapon. And there's a few little smudges around that you might clean up.

I love the interplay between the standard bearer and the guy next to him! In fact, I've given one of my new standard bearers a rather dynamic pose, enthusiastically waving his flag, which makes him hard to rank up - but you've just given me the perfect way to solve this. He'll get a buddy in the front rank, a common soldier posed specifically to go with him. Maybe I'll use the bandaged head, or dent a helmet :)
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Guvnor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
Everyone has a character- It's important to keep your army personal IMO- see the swordsmen champion with his own shield? He's from Ind and passionately hates everyone. He is Count Filippo's personal bodygaurd due to his never ending suspicion of everyone.

Things like that really make people like the army, even if I take a griffon standard, two caddies and two helblasters. :wink:

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »
I really like how most of your army appears to be converted.  Using knight heads on the foot soldiers really makes them look armoured.  

I think the best models that psychotic free company guy with the cutlass and dagger.  Ive got a couple like that [not painted yet] in my army!
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »
I really like the Tomb Kings shields. It works really well.

Also, gotta love the *crazy eyes* on that FC dude.

:-D
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Guvnor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 03:40:24 PM »
Every model in the swordsmen and spearmen units are converted (sometimes only the shield, but that still counts!) So are the knights (again, sometimes only with shields) and all characters are like that.

Only things that aren't are some of the FC and the handgunners and crossbowmen (not in pictures).

I really love doing conversions.

This army was given a best converted award in my local GW (I was very proud,  :biggriin: ) and my Elector Count was given a 'best use of unit champion model award'. :biggriin:

However there is another guy in that GW (called angry man because he has no emotions- english thing) who managed to make a juggling broodlord and a radical xenos inquistition army using tau bits! (His sentinels are amazing- they are on tracks!)

Offline jack

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »
A very fearsome lot indeed.
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry

Offline FlameKnight

• Members
  • in your base, killing your dudes
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
I'd suggest painting over the white on that second unit of knights. It just doesn't look right...

Kinda makes them look incomplete.