home

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Spoilers!!!  (Read 33706 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Spoilers!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
Can I voice my honest opinion of E8?
I just got out of the cinema and I'm not sure if I'm disappointed because I felt the movie was underwhelming or that I had trouble enjoying the film as I'd had such a rough day.
Each to their own.
If its your favourite movie ever or if you loved it I wont argue with you 

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
I just got out of the cinema and I'm not sure if I'm disappointed because I felt the movie was underwhelming or that I had trouble enjoying the film as I'd had such a rough day.

Five dollarydoos on the film.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
Can I voice my honest opinion of E8?
Each to their own.
If its your favourite movie ever or if you loved it I wont argue with you

I agree, our neighbor bought tickets for the neighborhood to go watch it. However, it was 3D which gave me kind of a headache. Anyway I found it to be fun and visually cool but man was I underwhelmed for the most part. I found Luke to be the most disappointing aspect of the movie  :dry: I would give it a 7 out of 10 ..........still Rouge One is my favorite movie of the newer movies 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
Saw "The Last Jedi" ... it seemed long, and as if they tried to cram a lot into it.  It certainly keeps the emotions moving, but I needed to take a long deep breath at the end, there just seemed to be so much to it, which is a plus and a minus it seems.

Clearly Kylo Ren has become even more darkly evil and seems to grow in his own negativity.  Po took on a larger, more satisfying role than the last movie.  Finn seemed sort of less compelling than the previous film, and no use of a light sword this time.  It is really driven home that Rey is connected to Kylo, while having a lengthy side story regarding her training on 3 lessons of the Force.  The newest droid is a bit annoying. 

I missed having Han Solo with Chewbacca just not being the same without him, very much enjoyed Hamill's portrayal of an older Luke and the best performance of the film, Leia's role was good.  3PO had more time than R2D2.

One of the scenes I liked the most was the crashing of the Resistance's main ship into the Emperor's ship, wow, very well done.

The scenes of the battle on the snow planet were excellent and I loved the contrast of the red on white, and the darkness of the inside of the hovering command vehicle, as well as the approaching images of the walkers as they are first coming into view.

I also enjoyed the fight scene against the red dressed Sith fighters.

It annoyed me that the gambler with the rose pin doesn't turn out to be the DJ character, while the DJ character isn't given a moment to redeem himself, while the look of disappointment of one woman next to the gambler promises nothing.

The boy at the end, playing with the straw figure of Luke Skywalker, and then looking up into the sky dreaming of what's in space, a foreshadowing of the cycle of life, and foretelling of possibly not just the next movie, but the possibility of more beyond that, seemed like a hopeful way to end the picture this time.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
No desire to see it in 3D.  It was good enough without it.

I once watched a movie in 3D and it seemed to detract from the experience.  Probably not again, certainly not any time soon.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »
No desire to see it in 3D.  It was good enough without it.

I once watched a movie in 3D and it seemed to detract from the experience.  Probably not again, certainly not any time soon.

Dude it absolutely does I do not like it.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »
Avatar was the first and last 3D film I watched. Bad film with pointless 3D embellishment.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
One of the scenes I liked the most was the crashing of the Resistance's main ship into the Emperor's ship, wow, very well done.

While it was cool I couldn't happen but think "So why isn't this weaponized? Take a space freighter, point towards target on auto-pilot, remote engage, BLAMMO! 1 less dorito of doom."
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
Meh I have absolutely zero issues with 3D, so going back to the actual movie talk...

How did you guys like the humor? I thought they got it right. In contrast with episode 1 for instance they managed to avoid going over the top for the truly cheap laughs. Yes, it often was silly but just the actual timing etc. made it good IMO (those 2 critters and their handcart...)

I liked Luke's role, and his last fight was really epic IMO. True Jedi master. "Yeah Sith boy, I just totally mind fucked/trolled you from I don't know how many parsecs away. When I stepped out of that blaster barrage you guys went to brown alert eh?"
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
The Resistance doesn't seem to be functionally sound when it comes to having much in the way of resources.  The freighter had a landing dock for a limited number of fighters and bombers, and it had shields, but high grade weapons just doesn't seem to be a feature they've spent money on currently.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »
That was it ... Avatar ... the only 3D film I saw and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for 3D films.

- - - - - -

Yes, Luke Skywalker's final fight was excellent.  He wasn't really there, transferring his presence to help the Resistance survive, expending his life force, and passing away into the force, to be heard from again, as Yoda was in this one.

To think that Kylo was fooled by a Jedi Master, imagine that.  Poor Kylo, a troubled child, probably genetically missing a sense of humanity, and instead clawing his way into power, and yet once he has it, he'll only want more, and his interest in destroying the Resistance will continue until his downfall.

These younger Star Wars generation actors, they could all go beyond the next one.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
I saw it. I didn't have high hopes after The Force Awakens but it cured me of any lingering hope of a good Star Wars movie. It was (the graphics aside and some minor humorous moments ) unspeakably awful in every way.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
My favourite bits:
Poe crank calling Hux
Leia force pulling herself back aboard the cruiser
Chewwie having a Porg BBQ
Kylo and Rey, fighting back to back against Snoke's guards
Luke appearing at the end [in what looked like his ROTJ costume] to mind f**k Kylo

The things that annoyed me the most were that a lot of the scenes [namely the second act] were long and seemed to drag on. The subplot on the gambling planet was quite long and delved into prequel territory with needless CGI and unfunny CGI characters [namely that space leprechaun guy]

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 05:56:38 AM »
Did the broom boy at the end force pull the broom towards him or did I just imagine it?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Leia force pulling herself back aboard the cruiser

Not sure thats all that great for lots of people... I reckon that one was to fuck with the audience because we know carrie fisher has passed away...?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Did the broom boy at the end force pull the broom towards him or did I just imagine it?

yeah, I guess that's to show the Jedi will come back.... man that movie lacked in so many ways but it was fun I guess.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 11:15:25 PM »
I felt like there were a lot of moments where an older SW movie would have let the good guys plan pan out by dumb luck and pulled off the escape, killed the bad guys, turned the bad guy to a good guy, etc. only for it to then immediately turn around and fuck them in the ass and their situation only got worse.  Very Game of Thronesy which is a nice change of pace.  I wasn't a big fan of the outrun the First Order ever so slowly plot device and felt that could have been handled better in the writing room with a better idea.

I feel like all the characters had their own conflicts and character arcs to go through.  Poe had to let go of being a hot shot soldier who takes big risks for big rewards and become a leader who looks at the bigger picture.  Finn and Roses's arc was very weak but it was about doing the right thing, spreading hope, and trying to be big damn heroes instead of just rank and file soldiers.  Luke was coming to terms with his past and letting go of the trauma and stepping in to help the galaxy for a change.  He's a damaged man who tried to find inner peace by rejecting the outside world and in the end found it by helping others.  Rey finally comes to terms with her abandonment and moves past it.  Her brashness, although stupid, did get her in a position to take down Snoke though it was mostly through Kylo's decision to no longer be pushed around, but to do the pushing around.

I was not happy with Luke's end, was hoping there would be a resurgence in him to reconnect with the universe and save the day only to then give Rey proper training.  Yoda's appearance seemed like that's what was in store for him...instead he punks out Kylo and then becomes one with the force.  Sure he may show up as a force ghost but it seemed like Luke's story was cut early and not at all done justice. 

Where those red guard the Knights of Ren?  The Back to back with Kylo and Ren fighting them off was fun.

There were a lot of twists and misdirection in the film which made it enjoyable and worried whether the main cast would get out alive.  it was a good and complex movie, but not great.  I saw some take to twitter and call it "god awful" and I highly disagree.  It may not be what we wanted to happen in saga, but it wasn't anything we expected either.  there were some clear nods to Ep 5 and 6 but it was new and different, going in a different direction than any of the past movies.

I feel like I need to watch it another time or so to fully grasp it but if I were to rate the Star Wars movies from greatest to worst:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi (honestly 4 and 6 are neck and neck and can swap places depending on my mood)
4. Rouge One
5. The Last Jedi (pending further review)
6. The Force Awakens
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones (honestly 1 and 2 could also swap depending on my mood)
10. The Star Wars Christmas Special
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 11:32:27 PM »
If I recall, the Star Wars Christmas Special something to do with Ewoks? That's hilarious that it made your list. :icon_lol:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »
No it had to do with Chewbacca's family.   :icon_lol:  There were two live action Ewok movies but I saw them so long ago and so young that I cannot remember a thing about them other than the little blond hair girl that some theorize to be Phasma (which I doubt).

Behold! Chewie's son Lumpy:

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2017, 01:48:55 AM »
I'm not surprised that a Chewy Christmas Special would be last on the list, especially after seeing that picture provided.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2017, 01:53:00 AM »
Here's JonTrons take on the Holiday Special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5gMWcl9FU

more entertaining than watching the actual thing.  There was a rumor for the longest time that GL wanted all copies burned.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2017, 01:56:14 AM »

It looked that way for me too but I don't know for certain, will have to watch again.  Either that or its just a space broom.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2017, 02:20:05 AM »
A young Jyn Erso had a stormtrooper toy
The broom boy had an improvised Luke Skywalker toy.
It seems that in the star wars universe, there are in-universe action figures. Does this mean there are communities of guys in the star wars universe who collect in-universe toys. And then get on the space net and complain about bad articulation, sculpts and them being packed with the wrong accessories. Do they hurl abuse at Space Hasbro?
I'm not sure weather this is meta or 'Yo dawwg'

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
Crap you shouldn't bother watching
Holiday special
Droids cartoon [check out Retroblastings video on the stupid thing if your curious about it, don't waste your time watching it]
Ewok TV movies
Ewoks cartoon

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
One would presume that if you can force yourself to become one with the force, then if you’re just a little bit above average, you should be able to detangle yourself from the force as well.

Perhaps Luke is beaming himself to another location.
However, whether as ghost or trekkie-esque beamer or legend, he will be in the third instalment. The story is not called “the adventures of Luke Skywalker” for nothing.

Or not. Oh well.
Everything of value is vulnerable