home

Author Topic: Solo - The Star Wars Movie  (Read 8882 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Solo - The Star Wars Movie
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
So this trailer dropped during the superbowl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7m-7EEI5vo

I'm excited!  :biggriin:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Solo - The Star Wars Movie
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »
And of course they just put up a new one. ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
And here are the two combined ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9PkToULL1c
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
if its as good as rouge one I'm in!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
I'm hoping its Oceans 11 in space.  :happy:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:50 AM »
I'm hoping its Oceans 11 in space.  :happy:

Hopefully.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Looks good!

Did I see giant space tentacles?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
Nope, merely in your imagination. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
I hate to be a downer [would that be a 'Rows-downer'?] AND I'm trying not to jump on the slamming Last Jedi band wagon like 90% of the people who saw it [I don't believe in getting worked up over movies, regardless of my name sake] but I have force fatigue. I've seen so much star wars in the past few years I can go without it for the rest of my life. I've started becoming nostalgic for the early 90's when you could go into a supermarket and not be bombarded with licenced merchandise.
If you want to see the movie. That is fine by me.
If you see it and love it. That is also fine. I wont argue with you over it. I for one just don't plan on seeing it. Or any other star wars films over the next few years.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »
I understand your meaning Rowsdower.  I have been seeing others with the same feeling.  In fact, one of my favorite movie critics released a video about the Solo trailer and seemed to be feeling star wars (or force as you put it) fatigue.  Honestly I am excited for this one as I am hoping no force powers emerge at all.  Its just a heist movie that just so happens to take place in Star Wars.  I think Disney should branch out from the story and tell different genre stories that take place in the Universe.  Like a bounty hunter movie that resembles Smoking Aces or have a cloak and dagger spy intrigue film.  Something less "in your face" like the recent films have been and instead have it be more relaxed.  Showcasing the diverse universe Star Wars is and less about space wizards and laser swords.
― Jake the Dog

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
This is only the fourth new Star Wars film. I think there have been 312 million Marvel superhero films.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
Marvel (especially lately with Thor: Ragnorok) is trying to be fun while Star Wars is trying (too hard) at being epic.  Like they are trying to catch lighting in a bottle from the original movies.  I am hoping with Solo they try to just make a fun movie rather than an "epic origin story."
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
There've only been 9 Star wars movies in the last 40 years.  I couldn't count the number of super hero films in that same time frame, not even in the last 10 years.  As for the commercialization that might cause "Force fatigue", I've sort of built up a wall to it, and just don't let it effect me any more. I don't watch it, ignore it, don't partake in purchasing any of it, etc.  Then I'm left to enjoy things like "The Last Jedi" for what it is, because life is too short.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
This is only the fourth new Star Wars film. I think there have been 312 million Marvel superhero films.

I think Disney should branch out from the story and tell different genre stories that take place in the Universe.........Showcasing the diverse universe Star Wars is and less about space wizards and laser swords.

That's what Marvel did really, different superheroes, thus different powers and settings, some more out there like Guardians of the Galaxy, and then using cameos between the movies their characters. Quite a good approach. Though even in this case you shouldn't oversaturate the market.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
Looks good!

I’m hesitantly optimistic. Not confident in the Han Solo Actor.

Donald Glover looks perfect for Lando.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Looks good!

Of the 4 new Star Wars movies since the Disney acquisition, 3 has had tentacle monsters.  If TLJ had one I have forgotten all about it.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:03 PM »
I hate to be a downer [would that be a 'Rows-downer'?] AND I'm trying not to jump on the slamming Last Jedi band wagon like 90% of the people who saw it [I don't believe in getting worked up over movies, regardless of my name sake] but I have force fatigue. I've seen so much star wars in the past few years I can go without it for the rest of my life. I've started becoming nostalgic for the early 90's when you could go into a supermarket and not be bombarded with licenced merchandise.
If you want to see the movie. That is fine by me.
If you see it and love it. That is also fine. I wont argue with you over it. I for one just don't plan on seeing it. Or any other star wars films over the next few years.

I feel the Same Rowsdower.  I went to a pet store and stared at two entire racks of star wars merchandise for your dog, cat, birds, etc, is there not a retail market where you can't find star wars shit anymore? Plus anytime I see anything The Last Jedi all I see is that sour cunt Kathleen Kennedy and her bitch dog Rion Johnson's face and I want to set it all on fire. 
Harrison Ford is Han Solo,  he was good looking and charming in his day and this new kid can't hold a candle to Ford in any of the trailers.  He immediately lacks the natural charm that you know as Solo.  Couple this with Ron Howard directing, and 80% of the film already being reshot, I'm not holding my breath for this but then again the kids want to go see it.  I never in my life felt I would hate star wars,  even during the disappointing prequels I was a bit miffed but the last film closed the door on the entire franchise for me.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »
Heya, heya, heya, I've got some sharp cheddar cheese to go with the whine!

Wait, where's my cheese?  Where did it get to? Huh.

:icon_mrgreen:

There it is!

:engel:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 03:35:35 AM »
Han Solo is Harrison Ford. Like James Bond is Sean Connery.
There needs to be a natural, overwhelming confidence to the actor who plays the role, coupled with good looks that make the confidence believable and not forced.

I am unsure if I will buy it from the new kid.

I reckon Liam Hemsworth may have been a good choice, not sure about his height though.

Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 05:35:58 AM »
I was talking with one of my closest friends the other day and the subject of star trek came up. He used to be the worlds biggest trekker. We started talking about how in the 90's, star trek went from being a fairly popular thing to a super nerdy thing due to an influx of movies [staring a rapidly aging cast] and tv shows which tired the general public. My dad [who used to be a logger and factory worker] LOVED the original star trek but started hating it circa 1995 due to the flood of movies, tv shows and the vocal fanbase. My friend the former trekker has given up on the franchise as he has 'trek tiredness'

On the subject of superhero movies. I'm sort of sick of those too. When i was babysitting some kids the other day, i found a box of super hero action figures for them to play with. The kids all knew exactly who the characters all were, they're contrived origins and motivations AND not one of them had read an issue of Superman or Batman; they'd all seen the movies. Later that day, i made a comment about how i was nostalgic for the 1960's, cheap, low-budget Superboy cartoon [i used to have a vhs of that as a kid]. I guess the reason Marvel and star wars films continued to be made is because they turn a profit. The Disney execs arent listening to the numerous, angry fanboys as they cannot hear them over the truckloads of money   

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »

Yes but the Mqrvel superhero films are not so wildly inconsistent.   Its not the number of films that is the problem but the amount of work you need to do to figure out what is going on.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
Its not the number of films that is the problem but the amount of work you need to do to figure out what is going on.
All you need to know about superhero films:

Baddies want macguffin in order to do bad things, good guys punch nasty aliens to stop them.

Sometimes the good guys disagree and start fighting each other.

The Disney execs arent listening to the numerous, angry fanboys as they cannot hear them over the truckloads of money
Fanboys are angry about the comics, not the films.

Anyway, this is a 100% accurate prediction of what the Solo film will be like: https://youtu.be/kjEd3DpH_e0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:52:18 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
I was talking with one of my closest friends the other day and the subject of star trek came up. He used to be the worlds biggest trekker. We started talking about how in the 90's, star trek went from being a fairly popular thing to a super nerdy thing due to an influx of movies [staring a rapidly aging cast] and tv shows which tired the general public. My dad [who used to be a logger and factory worker] LOVED the original star trek but started hating it circa 1995 due to the flood of movies, tv shows and the vocal fanbase. My friend the former trekker has given up on the franchise as he has 'trek tiredness'

Wait, the 90's? That was the golden revival period led by The Next Generation, followed by the excellent DS9 and the ok-ish Voyager.

Maybe if you were a die hard Original series fan and just wanted to roll around in that forever you'd have had a problem, but IMO the 90's were great for Star Trek.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
Lots of folks aren't interested in getting out beyond the originals of much of anything.

Kind of like me with the W:AoS crud, pure fantasy bunk, but some folks love it.  I'll take Olde World any day.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »

Wait, the 90's? That was the golden revival period led by The Next Generation, followed by the excellent DS9 and the ok-ish Voyager.

Maybe if you were a die hard Original series fan and just wanted to roll around in that forever you'd have had a problem, but IMO the 90's were great for Star Trek.

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all