home

Author Topic: How out of date is your first post?  (Read 13880 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: How out of date is your first post?
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
Welcome back super lurker!

I reckon! That is some lurking effort there!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
Impressive indeed! I like the way we're seeing a few brief appearances from older members. Lurkers and otherwise!

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
: July 24, 2005, 02:12:53 PM »
There is no point in placing characters on horse back into an infantry unit. except for the saves perhaps.
Also, pointed out by "empirearethebest" you don't need a BSB. I would  take a Warrior priest instead. Lastly I do not think you will need a cannon with such a small army. Bulking the infantry will do the trick.

There we go then.  2005 to my very own suprise.

In 2005 I still attended tournaments and and at that stage in ed6 I was more or less a Grognard. So except for the tournaments I am pretty much the same.  :engel:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:37:25 PM by Henerius »
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
I've used the cursed sompany quite often and i get mixed results. I usually use them af a supporting unit for combat resolution because they are a fear-causing unit, so the enemy would have to autobreak in most cases cept for undead and some other stuff. I try to use them as flankers, never head on unless i manage to sneak some pistoliers around for a flank charge.

I was a young and happy lad then, times have changed a lot. Just got reminded of this forum when I got an email last week about some back room access thingie. I lurked from about 2001, registered a few years later. Then to 2012 when I gave up the hobby due to all sorts of reasons. Sigh

Was fun to read all the tactics on this forum, TVI battlebus tactics is one I remembered employing in my local GW which improved my casual win rate substantially. That forum made civil war campaign was also quite fun, though I didn't participate it in but all the fluff was good reading.

Looks like I'm one of the 'earliest' replies strangely in this thread. Guess a lot of people just come and go.

I love this.  I recall looking at members in order of registration and seeing your name.  I was like "Odd, dude only post like twice then poof!"
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »
Welcome back Planeswalker, and don't be a stranger! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
Nice to see some old-timers returning to the site. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2018, 02:09:22 AM »
Still I don't believe cannon balls would bounce onto hills. Maybe if the slope was very gentle... otherwise I could not bounce as well as on flat, and not even then.

Historically cannonballs had no problems bouncing up hills. Actually the bounce of Warhammer cannons must represent many bounces, since the cannonballs would bounce along the ground many times, skipping really, like a stone on a pond. If the slope does not hinder movement of troops, it cannot be steep enough to hinder a bouncing cannonball.

Man. PhillyT is in that thread, and it was when he still signed all his posts with "Phil". I had been playing Empire for six years by that time. I'm sure I lurked for months before I posted anything. I have gone back to mostly lurking, ogling Phil's Orks and wishing GW hadn't killed my favorite game.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
Man. PhillyT is in that thread, and it was when he still signed all his posts with "Phil". I had been playing Empire for six years by that time. I'm sure I lurked for months before I posted anything. I have gone back to mostly lurking, ogling Phil's Orks and wishing GW hadn't killed my favorite game.

That was a little flashback. Around when I really started joining in in the forum (and not just lurking), and some names I haven't seen in a while. Is Perambulator still around? One of the only WE members I've met in person -- a really nice person! I always figured I'd run into more WE members some day, but never quite managed it. And then the world got itself blowed up...  :wink: I regret not meeting up with you (CoD) when you were working in my neck of the woods. The Pleasant Surprises minis I made for you (x2) are still some of my favorite miniatures creations. I hope you and your family are doing well!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

That was a little flashback. Around when I really started joining in in the forum (and not just lurking), and some names I haven't seen in a while. Is Perambulator still around? One of the only WE members I've met in person -- a really nice person! I always figured I'd run into more WE members some day, but never quite managed it. And then the world got itself blowed up...  :wink: I regret not meeting up with you (CoD) when you were working in my neck of the woods. The Pleasant Surprises minis I made for you (x2) are still some of my favorite miniatures creations. I hope you and your family are doing well!

We are doing well! We just moved up to New York from Louisiana. It feels great to be back in the countryside again and away from the city.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
I'm a new member of this board but some may already know me from the Dakka-boards where I also go by the name of BAWTRM.

*Waves to Flavius_Infernus*

It's through Dakka that I got into contact with Warhammer-Empire.com, first through the excellent Tactica in the War Room and now I'd like to contribute to this 'pure' Empire forum.

I've been playing WHFB since 1996 when I was re-introduced by friends to the Warhammer world. I say re-introduced because I was an avid player of the MB 'Battlemasters' game when I was a child. Even then I tended to only play with the Empire and I've continued doing this since 5th Ed. WHFB and untill these days of the, IMO, excellent 6th Ed. ruleset.
The plethora of tactics available to the Empire have never made me yearn to play any other army.

Well, that's a little about me. I'd say to judge me by the quality of the posts I make and I hope to get to know you other Empire generals in the coming weeks/months.

BAWTRM

I still remember discovering this site. What a wonderful time. 6th Ed. was there and the Empire no longer sucked!  :biggriin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
I misspelled Stripe spelling it strip   :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
Have I mentioned that this is the best Warhammer forum I have found to date? 

I 'am' one of the newbies everyone seems interested in talking about, and it was the friendly reception I got that is going to keep me here a long time.  The second item that attracted me to this forum was the ability to actually read the posts!  I am occasionally called upon in my job to proof read technical documentation, so I'm used to deciphering Engineerspeak and Engineerwriting (understand that and you can understand most anything!) Yet I often read posts on other sites and, after struggling through it, cannot for the life of me translate it into English.  No worries about that here!

This discussion is quite healthy, and I'm encouraged to see a thread like this.  Up here in the Frozen North, we discuss everything and tend to be so worried every single person's feelings aren't hurt, that sometimes we go so far to appease, nothing in the end gets said.  Sometimes you have to set a standard, and by definition, some things, and some people will fall short of that standard.  I noticed comments that very few had fallen in that category, bravo!  Things degenerate into the lowest common denominator rather quickly and you have to guard against that or lose a lot.  Now, you add some understanding and respect to the mix and you rarely have to use the stick, everyone wants the carrot!  I don't want to sound in any way elitist, and would leave here if this site morphed into that, but I don't see anything wrong with having rules and enforcing them, worked for my parents.

I was on a IRC channel a few years ago, we had much much stricter rules regarding behaviour (it was a vampire channel, so give me the 'freak' label now).  Over time those rules were chipped at and chipped at by those screaming "Not fair!  Not fair".  It was a fantastic group of 200 from around the world, with gatherings and wedding etc.  You won't find it now, as the rules degenerated so did the Channel and it became illiterate nonsense.  Quite sad. 

So thank you all for hosting this and the Mods for trying hard to be fair and understanding yet firm.  Now if I can only get my armies and painting to the same standards.... hrmm not likely :oops:

Rik

This is interesting for so many reasons...
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
Hmmm. That mainly is contained to the Back Table, and the restructure should have helped a bit too.

And to be fair you can still read what people type... except for maybe zak....
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.