home

Author Topic: Island of Regna  (Read 5446 times)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
Island of Regna
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
Good day, guys!  :happy:

This time I decided to share my progress on a new KoW Army: the Ogres! But traditional approach is not good enough for me, so the Island of Regna emerges from beneath the waves!

Regnan Pirates

Many centuries ago Island of Regna was populated by feral ogre tribes who kept to themselves and knew little of outside world. It is not clear who were the first human settlers that came to the island. Most likely they were refugees from Basilea or just adventure-seekers. Their first encounter with the ogres was surprisingly peaceful: the ogres quickly realized that humans have a lot to teach them in terms of technology (especially gunpowder), while the humans could use the ogres' muscle power for protection and labour. As a result a new nation was born. Once the entire island was colonized and all the tribes united, the inhabitants turned to piracy since no other nation could really show any sound resistance to the combination of human wits and ogre brawl.

Ogre Buccaneers

Ogres are far from being stupid as some people think. Some are actually very intelligent, capable of crafting pieces of art, music and able magic-users. Those who are less gifted usually join the ranks of buccaneers. These fearsome pirates would smash things left and right which can be most useful when attacking big ships or even enemy forts.

I hope you liked that part! See you next time!  :closed-eyes:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Island of Regna
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
These look great! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
WHoa  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 02:47:52 AM »
I love the improvised shields. Its one thing that has always annoyed me about the Ogres - no shields. Good inspiration - thank you!

Also, who makes those pirates? They look great!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:52:55 AM »
Cool concept and execution.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:22:28 AM »
Great job :::cheers:::

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »
These look great! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Thanks a lot!  :happy:

WHoa  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Thank you!  :::cheers:::

I love the improvised shields. Its one thing that has always annoyed me about the Ogres - no shields. Good inspiration - thank you!

Also, who makes those pirates? They look great!

Indeed. That also irritated me quite a bit.  :happy:
These are Old Glory Pirates:

More piratey ogres are on the way!  :::cheers:::

Cool concept and execution.  :eusa_clap:

Thanks a lot!  :closed-eyes:

Great job :::cheers:::

Thank you very much!  :smile2:

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  :happy:

Today it is time for another tour to Island of Regna! So load your pistols, sharpen cutlasses and don't forget your rum!  :::cheers:::

Ogre Tideriders

Regna is a big island, and boasts a large fleet of pirate ships. However even it cannot completely secure the waters from various sea monsters, elven raiding parties, or other nuisances. In order to deal with minor threats Regnans would often deploy Tideriders.
The island has always had a large population of giant crocks, and ogres have domesticated them long time before the humans came. Now with new technologies and gear they are even deadlier to their enemies.

Regnan Boomers

Pirates of Regna sometimes call themselves "Empire of the endless ocean", hinting that there is no place in the known waters where they haven't been or can't get. Whether that is true or just boasting on their part is open to discussion. Nevertheless none can deny that their ships are very effective in pillaging villages, raiding towns or sinking entire fleets if need be. One of the most treasured spoils (apart from gold and gems, of course) is enemy artillery. Good cannons are hard to produce and usually the easiest way to get them is by taking enemy's ones.
The best cannons are usually used in regnan forts or ships, while those of lower quality are given to Ogres, who take special pleasure in using these large, noisy "boomsticks" to blast apart anything their enemies might throw at them.

See you next time, mateys!  :happy:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
Interesting!  Where'd the ogres on gators come from?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:56:05 AM »
Great job on those gator riders. Very creative and imaginative idea :eusa_clap:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
My God, this topic... This topic's awesome. I love piratey stuff! :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
Thanks, guys! I appreciate it a lot!  :happy:

And once again we travel to Regna! What do we see approaching down the hill? Shiver me timbers! Run for your lives!  :ph34r:

Ogre Pirate Shooters
You might remember Regnan Boomers from our previous visit to the island. Shooters are basically Boomers in training, wielding lighter and often of poorer quality cannons. Often there is not even enough cannonballs for them to use, however they compensate that by sticking pillaged pikes, swords and other pointy sharp pieces in the cannon barrels. That damages the weapon even more, but the range is usually bigger and two-three shots is usually enough to break the likes of any enemy.

Regnan Powder Barge
Originally Powder Barges were used to destroy enemy ships. The barge full of barrels with powder would be sent in the direction of the hull of the enemy ship and once it was close enough a a sharpshooter would shoot the barge. A rare ship would survive such an impact. So, why not use it on land as well?

See you next time!  :happy:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
nice work all around !!!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 06:17:05 PM »
Regnan Siegebreakers

Siegebreakers are among the toughest of ogre warriors. Armed with broken masts and iron clubs, these fearsome ogres can break a hull of the ship or a stone wall without much of an effort. Once the enemy defense is destroyed it is time for pirates to pillage and plunder.

Ogre Pirates

Ogre pirates are basically a larger and meaner version of their human counterparts. Wild, loud and aggressive they can do whatever any pirate is good at: raiding, fighting and drinking. Gods forbid if the latter is not in plentiful supply!

Ogre Divers

Divers are perhaps some of the weirder lot among Regnan ogres. They would spend all their days underwater, searching for treasures of sunken ships. When there is dire need they would emerge from waters and make sure that more ships and treasures end up on the ocean floor.

See you next time, pirates! )  :happy:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 12:09:34 AM »
Those ogre divers are priceless
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 01:58:41 AM »
I love the look of those Divers. The rest of the ogres are all pretty awesome as well. Pirate Ogres never go out of style.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
Have I mentioned I love this entire thread?

Yarr!

:::cheers::: :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
Thank you very much, guys! Much appreciated!  :blush:

Let's go deeper in the territory of Regna Island. And what do we see there? Crocodiles, many crocodiles!  :Ohmy:

Regnan Crocodile Herders

Crocs who aren't big enough to carry ogres are used as shock cavalry. They can be surprisingly fast for their size and both the enemies of Regnans as well as their herders should be very careful when these beasts enter the battlefield. Pirate meat is no less tasty then any other, after all.

Regnan Gator Cannon

On the other hand the biggest and toughest of crocs join the ranks of artillery. Actually they become artillery to a certain extent. These great cannons can blast entire castle wall sections and towers in one blast. A battery of these cannons can sink an entire fleet.

See you next time, mateys! Yarr!  :happy:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
Your imagination knows no bounds. Fantastic.
I wonder if there’s a high turnover in the croc handling profession and if they qualify for life insurance?  Are there many missing peoples reports coming from the family’s whose breadwinner works for them? 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
More awesomeness here! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 03:27:04 AM »
really love the original work and concepts. great job, thank you for sharing!  steveb

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Nice concept and execution.  Also nice crocs...who makes them?
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
The rest of the ogres are all pretty awesome as well. Pirate Ogres never go out of style.

I agree! Yarr!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Just in time for the Vampire Coast DLC for TW:W 2. Fitting! :mrgreen:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
Thanks, guys!  :happy:
Most of the Ogres are from Titan-Forge Miniatures. )  :smile2:

Regnan Pirates with hand weapons

Pirates being generally undisciplined and somewhat cowardly lot prefer ranged weapons. This allows them to support their ogre comrades with much-needed firepower and still remain in relative safety. However when the time comes to share looted treasures they usually do not get much, because ogres generally consider them to be weaklings and not deserving. So many human pirates join the ranks of melee infantry: that is usually the only way they can earn respect from ogres and become considerably richer.

Cap'n Grog and his mateys.

Regna is a strange society. Ogres are bigger, stronger, sometimes even smarter than humans. However they rarely become captains or any kind of leaders for local pirates. They either prefer to remain independent and thus usually work as mercenaries, or join the ranks of human pirate captains. Cap'n Grog is a rare exception. Not only does he enjoy giving commands left and right to his human and ogre crews, he is also quite proud of being among the very few ogres that ever became captains. He even created some sort of a "court": a trusty magician and his personal standard bearer. This way he is even more recognizable and more people will see how awesome he is!

See you next time!  :ph34r: