home

Author Topic: Quiz: what edition/game is played the most on your country?  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
Quiz: what edition/game is played the most on your country?
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
Hey generals,

I wish to ask you about the hobby status on your own countries. Fortunately, people on this forum comes from all around the globe, so I want to know what kind of game system do you use to play for Warhammer.

In Spain, what I know the most, players community broke up when Age of Sigmar appeared. Strongly scattered. Today, there are probably the same number of players (aprox) but all of them dispersed among different editions/rulebooks:

- 6-7th edition
- 8th edition
- 9th Age
- Manuscritos de Nuth (fanmade rulebook)
- Warhammer Reforged (fanmade rulebook)
- Warhammer 8.5 (fanmade rulebook)
- Age of Sigmar
- Kings of War

In addition, there is an unsane rivalry between them: it's very common to find heated disputes on forums and facebook pages in spanish. My question to you all is, what system do you play, what system is the most played in your country? Is there the same situation?

And now, I'll expose my personal point of view. I hate Age of Sigmar. As simply as that. I cannot understand how someone can play a game with such disingenuous, misleading background, clearly created to focus sales on kids and not on hobbists. Honestly, when I see on Instagram mid-old people (25-50 years old) basing their models on round bases, I cannot understand it. There are not many players of this game in Spain (in comparison to 9th Age, for example), or at least, I don't see them. Please, note that I don't hate pleople who play this game, I hate the game itself for that was the point that scattered the community. On the other hand, 9th Age had focused all his efforts on competition, and specifically, on team competition, indicated only for experienced generals. And this is not my way, neither. So, I'll continue playing with 8th edition or Warhammer Reforged.

This is unsane, because the more edition there are, the more dispersed and discouraged is the community. I'm worried about it.

So now, can you write your opinion? I'd include a quiz, but I don't know how to do it. If some admin can help me, I'll be glad.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:55:51 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Quiz: what edition/game is played the most on your country?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
Canada is pretty big (So I hear), so I can't really speak for the whole country. I CAN speak for my little corner of Ontario.

We play everything. Absolutely everything. It's the golden age of gaming. Every time I go into the local store there's half a dozen games going on, usually all different things. Some people are still pretty heated about the death of fantasy, and there's still plenty of debate, but people have moved on with their life. Just over the last week I've had multiple games of Age of Sigmar, 8th Edition and frostgrave. My store is planning campaigns for all three (Which is why I played them. Got to practice up!) as well as stuff like X-Wing and Kings of war.

I'm constantly saddened to see the hate for Age of Sigmar, and I really feel a lot of it is just hold over from the first iteration of rules that was very jokey and corney. The game has moved passed that long ago, and it's actually a very decent ruleset. It is very skirmish based, and I do miss the ranked battles, but for that I go back to 8th edition. As for the lore, I just don't agree that it's disingenuous or misleading. I also see people on the board here or the rest of the internet crowing about how it's disloyal or blasphemous that they DARE draw on any of the Old World for Age of Sigmar. I find it a very interesting continuation. The legendary characters of before suddenly find themselves more like gods. There's plenty of references to the old world not to steal things, but to call back to how wonderful it was, or how interesting. The realms and background have been greatly expanded upon and their finely starting to flesh out the more mundane details. Age of Sigmar is still young and doesn't have the 30 odd years of lore build up that Fantasy had. Their working on it, and hopefully one day it will be just as rich.

Although I do prefer ranked up battles, I find round bases are absolutely better for showcasing the model. It looks way better. If I have the parts to choose, I tend to put rank and file on square bases and characters on round to show them off.

People will all like different things. All the power to them! Warhammer Fantasy dying really did shatter the player base, but all that happened there is creating a gaming scene FILLED with tons of fun games to play.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:01:19 PM by Gankom »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:48:37 PM »
Here in Finland, I would say T9A is most played in tournaments, and many also use it at home. AoS comes some steps behind. There have been sporadic KoW, 7th ed and Oldhammer (3rd ed) gatherings, and I know that 8th ed is still played at home. So, it seems the open scene follows well-supported games like T9A, AoS and KoW, but there's an undercurrent of 8th ed and older/alternative, and I have the feeling that this undercurrent is actually quite strong and alive.

Many an old Warhammer-player also play historicals these days, and the abundance of modern miniature games (FoG, X-Wing, 40K, Infinity, Saga, etc. etc.) means that people usually play several games and shift between games. It really is a golden age of (miniature) gaming!

Individual tournaments are significantly smaller than they used to be. It's really hard to say if this is an adjustment to smaller player base per individual game/edition, or if it has something to do with the organizers' preferences, space for gaming, or the availability of good-standard terrain for the tables. The Warhammer Fantasy scene is split and mostly everyone is tired about talking their reasons of why the split and why their preferences. It might be that the big split is actually between tournament/public play and home/private play, and that people are tired of the tournaments. Still, there's also new fantasy gamers sporadically seen, and not only AoS players.

Personally, I will play whichever legacy edition/game, given the people are friendly and not focused on competition or rules purity. I haven't tried AoS, but don't have an antipathy towards it now that it really is a functional game. I would hope GW focused more on the game's background, because that's what would interest me most if I built an army for AoS. But that doesn't seem the policy of fantasy games these days. No commercial company really seems to do that. So the best & deepest background is found in Warhammer 3rd to 8th eds, 40K, and historicals of course.

Just my 2d. You'd probably get a different kind of summary from someone else in Finland.

-Z
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:57:02 AM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
I will edit my initial post because I want to make clear I don't hate Age of Sigmar's players but the game system itself for it scattered the community here. I want to make clearer this point.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
I will edit my initial post because I want to make clear I don't hate Age of Sigmar's players but the game system itself for it scattered the community here. I want to make clearer this point.

Oh I totally get it! They really could have done a better job of bringing it in, or actually working on the rules, etc. I can totally understand why people are not happy with it. I just really think everyone should at least give the rules a try now that they've started fleshing it out.

Edit: I mean we are talking about the game that had special rules for legacy stuff that said if you pretended to ride an imaginary horse you got a reroll, or if you rolled really high on the screaming bell chart then all kinds of nonsense would happen. They tried to be funny and it just... wasn't great.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:48:45 PM »
I would say Gankom has the feel of it. I don’t get out to actually play anymore. (Hopefully soon) but the local game store is GW so it goes without saying what is played. I personally see a lot of 40k  most times I’m in the store and the odd AoS. They do stock a lot of AoS so it must be moving. Their are a lot of people divided like Zygmund says but are tired of fighting it. For me and the ways things are now AoS works perfect for me and there is a lot of fluff building up now. I think I have read every book and it allows for absolutely every type of setting you could want but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I thought the switch was a tough pill to swallow and I think a lot of people still have that impression. What They say about first impressions. For me personally, AoS works well on all fronts but I’m also thinking about historical games as well. I don’t think I would have started the hobby again as it was grinding to a halt. I had the 8 ed empire book the first day it came out yet never played a game with that book as I had too much to change to rework so I stayed with the other armies I had.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:05:02 AM »
Pretty sure 40k was the most popular in Aus. I think AOS just killed all fantasy wargaming completely. That said, the tournaments I played in about 8 years ago are now using 9th age.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »
Hey generals,

I wish to ask you about the hobby status on your own countries. Fortunately, people on this forum comes from all around the globe, so I want to know what kind of game system do you use to play for Warhammer.
Living in the U.S.  there are multiple folks playing multiple systems because the land area is big.

I haven't played WFB in too many years.  8th Edition wasn't too my liking, and much prefer 6th and 7th!

I haven't given W:Aos a try yet, but perhaps.  I don't like the idea of learning something new like 9th Age, not sure why, but I'd rather use my time and energy on something I enjoy already, or want to learn more for historicals instead.  I might give KoW a try at some point because I've heard good things about it.

What I am currently into doing is Lion Rampant, and eventually going to do a bit of Dragon Rampant, and definitely going to use Pikeman's Lament at some point as well.

So ... running another tally, if the original poster doesn't mind ...

- WFB legacy ... Zygmund
- 6-7th edition ... GP
- 8th edition ... Rogers Kul, Gankom
- 9th Age
- Warhammer Reforged (fanmade rulebook) ...  Rogers Kul
- Warhammer: Age of Sigmar ... Gankom, Artobans
- Kings of War
- Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant/Pikeman's Lament ... GP
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
That tally doesn’t really capture country, which was more the question than than the person.

Also pretty sure I responded, but somehow you missed me? :-(
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
The difficulty with this is that so many different folks in different countries could have different experiences.

However, any of us can add the countries, too. :icon_cool:

Tally by Username & Country ...

- WFB legacy ... Zygmund (Finland)
- 6-7th edition ... GP (U.S.)
- 8th edition ... Rogers Kul (Spain), Gankom (Canada)
- 9th Age ...Warlord (Australia)
- Warhammer Reforged (fanmade rulebook) ...  Rogers Kul (Spain)
- Warhammer: Age of Sigmar ... Gankom (Canada), Artobans (Canada)
- Kings of War
- Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant/Pikeman's Lament ... GP (U.S.)

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
Thanks for answering. Good solution for the quiz Gamespoet.

Yeah, WH40K 8th edition have inspired a lot of people here, too. Soon I will have to taste it!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
I can't speak for my country (UK), or even my city (London), but out of my friends, we've all moved on the playing Age of Sigmar, with a very rare game of 8th edition.

I won't get into an argument over the pros and cons of Age of Sigmar, but i will say GW handled the launch and transition in both game terms and background lore very badly.  Maybe it was so bad it was what led them to re-assess their policies, and open up and communicate with the hobby community again.  Since the opening up of the Facebook pages, and Warhammer TV it's a massive improvement in terms of how the company deals with it's customers, that they've handled background changes for 40k into 8th edition in a much better way.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Updating ...

- 6-7th edition ... GP (U.S.)
- Warhammer: Age of Sigmar ... Gankom (Canada), Artobans (Canada), Oxycutor (UK)
- Kings of War

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
I play mostly 6th edition(Italy), a game that's not based on GW catalogue but that had plenty room for conversions and themed armies differently from GW newest game. And it's perfect to play small and big games alike
P.S: Yes aos it's pillaging Warhammer background , it's lore will be silly, bland and childish even in sixty years from now. And players of aos are only supporting the game that cancelled Warhammer, if they rejected it, we'd have Warhammer again.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
Interesting idea.  And my guess is fantasy as we currently know it (W:AoS) will eventually change.

- 6-7th edition ... GP (U.S.), Bartolo (Italy)
- Warhammer: Age of Sigmar ... Gankom (Canada), Artobans (Canada), Oxycutor (UK)
- Kings of War

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
Poland is and always was a Warhammer-loving country. I think that 6th edition was the most popular here. Nowadays there's still a huge Old/Middlehammer movement here. T9A is not really big, neither are Kings of War. AoS gains a lot of popularity, but I think that the 6th edition is still strongest with us, Poles.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »
Norway. 40k has always been bigger than fantasy here. By the end of 8th edition WHFB was pretty much dead. It's grown significantly since 9th age again though, now it's maybe about half as popular as 40k.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Daymz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
Here in Switzerland, the competitive scene has cleary moved to T9A, with tourneys still being conducted regularly.
The fantasy scene itself has been completely destroyed. I used to be in one of the more popular clubs, we all stopped playing Warhammer entirely. None were ever too much in 40k and most were heavily invested in Fantasy, so as it got destroyed, ... that was it. I still lament that.
I know there is a small group that plays AoS, but as far as I know hardly anyone actually switched from 8th to that. Kings of War has never caught on much.

Personally, I play the odd game of 8th / T9A with one friend from the late club... about once a year. It's always a blast, and I really, really miss playing Warhammer. I just can't see myself building up a completely new army on a completely new ruleset as I don't even know a community I could go for. T9A seems reasonable, if extremely competitive-set. AoS I tried in the beginning and loathed at the first game (so much for first impressions).

I would actually like to get into 40k. But my trust has been shattered. I don't feel like investing in an army, building everything up, only to have GW go and destroy everything about it within a half a year. It really hurt, and it still does. Sorry if I sound bitter.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
Updating!

- 6-7th edition ... GP (U.S.), Bartolo (Italy), Xanthrodox (Poland)
- 9th Age ...Warlord (Australia), patsy02 (Norway), Saymz (Switzerland)
- Kings of War

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
Just speaking for the local region here (northern part of the Netherlands)
8th edition at the club sporadically and at home / local GW store I do see a influx in AoS.

I feel that although 9th Age got tried it died a silent death here
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989