home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667818 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #400 on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
Conquest Games Knight sprues:

and they are selling the horses separately:

They will be at Crisis in Antwerp this Saturday coming - Nov 6th

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:03:01 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #401 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
The long awaited perry mercenary box is due for release in the second week of december and is avaialble for pre order.

I will post pictures of the new Mercenary 1450-1500 plastic box very shortly, just as soon as I stick a box's worth together. You can pre-order them, but you might want to see pictures first! Their code is WR 20, and the price is £18.00 GBP + P&P. To pre-order, just order as normal and we'll get them out to you as soon as we get them in, which should be around the second week in December. Of course, we won't charge you until the order is about to be sent.

there is also some light cavalry coming out.

This month, there are three codes for the Wars of the Roses in the form of scurrers (or currours/scourers/aforeriders or prickers, take your pick!).

Linky : http://theminiaturespage.com/news/560962/

looks like my chaos may get put on hold while my DOW gets bigger.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
I finally picked up a box of the plastic WoTR figures from Perry Miniatures. They look great. My next decision will be what to do with them. Expand my Burgundian army? Start up a WotR army?

I also picked up the mounted command pack with Warwick, Salisbury & Richard. I wanted to check out the metal figures, and that pack seems to have a lot of character.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #403 on: November 14, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
I've been using mine for a DOW army. I've converted a unit to pikemen already so looking forward to having another unit of pike for a lot less trouble. As they are £18 i'm hoping it will be the basic sprues with an additional weapon sprue. Maybe without the command sprue as they are selling them separately now. This will allow me to use the halberds/bills on the bodies i've saved from the two boxes i've bought as I didn't want more than 24 archers and there is a limited number of halberd arms.

I really like the prickers as well. Will make a good unit of unbarded heavy cavalry. The ones in scouting positions are really characterful. This perry range has made my border princes DOW army really cheap. I've spent less than £80 and got my characters, cannon. 14 halberds, 28 pike 24 men at arms in full plate and polearms, 24 archers, 4 ogres with GW, a cannon and a ribaldaquin.

A unit of 15 heavy cav will cost a bit, £45+ really, but 2 boxes of mercenaries will yield 35 pike, 20 xbows, 16 halberdiers and 10 handgunners; and all that lot will only cost £33 from maelstrom.

I suppose by removing the wizard and ogres I could use them for historical gaming?

So why you complaining!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »
Sure.

Mix of everything... pike, halberd, crossbow, bow/longbow, handgunners & various cavalry would probably work for Burgundy, various German forces, some Italians all around the second half of the 15th century.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #405 on: November 18, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
For those of you debating about the Landsknechts .........

Artizan prices are going up December 1st.

Just as 4 new sets come out.

Halberdiers attacking
Command 2
Looters
Officers

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #406 on: November 18, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
How much are their prices increasing?  Any idea when they will release pictures of these new minis?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #407 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »
How much are their prices increasing?  Any idea when they will release pictures of these new minis?

Prices - no idea - it was a 'tweet'

New models are in next week, and currently they are showing at current pricing levels.

On another note Caliver have this picture up on their site, and a price of £16.00

Description:
 "40 Hard Plastic Figures. There is a fair amount of variety of arm/weapon choice, allowing you to make up to 18 pikemen, up to twelve crossbowmen, and up to twelve handgunners plus four command. In addition, there are twelve pavises, 15 bucklers/targes, drum arms, two-handed sword arms, and swords in scabbards."

Still nothing on the actual Perry site though?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:44:10 PM by Midaski »

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #408 on: November 19, 2010, 07:39:43 PM »
Oh my! You are getting spoiled with choices in Britain!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #409 on: November 19, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
Oh my! You are getting spoiled with choices in Britain!

Caliver's good for outside the UK also. There's a low threshold for qualifying for free worldwide shipping. I ordered from them to the US and was happy -- I recommend them.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #410 on: November 20, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
The sprues are up on TMP now and in the pre order section of maelstrom for £16.20

So why you complaining!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #411 on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:52 AM »
Looks like Renegade will soon be producing Wars of the Roses figures as well. Small pic of some greens up on their site.

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
Perry Mercenaries Sprues

Command Sprue

Trooper Sprue

You get 2 Command and 3 Trooper Sprues

List of all the bits

40 x torsos (36 from WR 1)
60 x heads (36 from WR 1)
18 x pikes with arms
18 x left arms for above
12 x crossbows with arms
6 x left arms for above
12 x handguns with arms
3 x left arms for above
12 x crossbow quivers (3 with windlass and 3 with cranequin attached)
15 x targes/bucklers
12 x pavises (2 types)
12 x polearm heads (4 types)
2 x drums and arms
2 x drum stick arms
2 x hand and a half sword arms
2 x left arms for above
12 x swords in scabbards
4 x scabbards
2 x standard pole arms
2 x mace arms
4 x sword arms
2 x dagger arms
2 x command arms

It looks like the bodies on the Trooper sprue are the same as in the first WotR set. There seems to be a bit of this happenning in the plastics market - sprues are made in 'sections' which can be combined differently.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #413 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:36 AM »
Yes, that does seem to be the trend.  I for one am not too worried about it - so long as there are enough variants to keep it interesting - looks like there are 12 perry troop body variants, if all those on the sprue are different.

I don't mind either if the bodies fit the bill.  When you look at some of the classic GW metals, many of them seem to re-use the same body sculpt, with different head/arm variants, so it doesn't seem to be that new of an idea.  Just as long as they don't provide fully armoured bodies for light skirmishers, or vice versa...

What's the point in making 40 different body types for rank and file troops when they just get ranked up together anyway, and the main distinction between them is the head and weapons?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:31 AM »

Pics of someone's painted Normans from Conquest (not mine!):

http://getback-wargamingprojects.blogspot.com/2010/11/conquest-normans-pictures.html

Yes, that does seem to be the trend.  I for one am not too worried about it - so long as there are enough variants to keep it interesting - looks like there are 12 perry troop body variants, if all those on the sprue are different.

I don't mind either if the bodies fit the bill.  When you look at some of the classic GW metals, many of them seem to re-use the same body sculpt, with different head/arm variants, so it doesn't seem to be that new of an idea.  Just as long as they don't provide fully armoured bodies for light skirmishers, or vice versa...

What's the point in making 40 different body types for rank and file troops when they just get ranked up together anyway, and the main distinction between them is the head and weapons?

I generally agree with all of this.

My recent photo in my blog of the Foundry landsknecht handgunners show that they were all done on one body, but with 8 head variants. I think that's just a bit too "samey" though. I prefer when something is more like when Old Glory mixes 4-6 bodies with 6+ heads to create a big batch of variety.

But it also depends on the troop type. For "regular" troops I don't mind a lot of repetition. Whether it's Roman legion, Macedonian phalanx, Seven Years War infantry or whatever. But for "irregular" troops, like ancient Germans, Irish warbands, medieval levies, etc. I prefer a little more variety.

That said, from looking at the one Perry set I got, but haven't had time to assemble, I think it's an excellent balance. Quite a nice set.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #415 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #416 on: November 24, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
Upcoming releases from Eureka that show some potential. Italian Wars 'archers' which are the retinue the gendarme was meant to bring with him. Each figure comes with a choice of lance arm or open handed arm with a random hand weapon - hammer, axe, sword.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #417 on: November 27, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »
The Artizan new Landsknechts pics are up ........

http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?lat=1

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #418 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
The looters are nice. Not as nice as the Paul Hicks one with the pig and sausage, but nice all the same.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #419 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Indeed, those looters looks very good and funny. Those would be a nice addition to any army!

And I like those puffy sleeved Eureka knights :closed-eyes:
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
It seems those greek figures are actually the ones from Immortal Games.  Wondering how that came to be.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
Northstar are selling Immortal now too.

I think smaller manufacturers are finding it difficult to both make and sell miniatures.

For example Musketeer Miniatures have recently arranged for Gripping Beast to sell for them:

Over the past year Musketeer Miniatures has been growing to a point where it became too much for one man to run on his own. My sculpting time was reduced to almost nil due to coping with the day to day running of the business. Despite how busy it got it wasn't earning enough to employ someone else full time to help me out. Ah! The joys of self employment!

So from today onwards the production, mail order and general running of Musketeer will be taken over by my top chums Darren and Andy and overseen by Lord S from Gripping Beast. All orders will still go through this website for now, but any enquiries or phone orders will be dealt with by Gripping Beast (01386 761 511.)

One of many advantages to this new arrangement is that GB operate from early in the morning to late at night so are much easier to contact. Also they can take credit card orders so call them!

The upshot of this is I will at last be able to sculpt full time once more and get ranges finished that have been hanging round for far too long (we all know what I'm talking about ....!) New exciting ranges are planned for the future as well as some individual projects that we think you might like.

There are some quite good dealers out there who are doing a pretty good job of offering competitive prices and good service, and are well organised with good websites.

Maelstrom and Wayland are probably the bigger two that spring to mind, but personally I find Northstar and Caliver very good, and there is a pretty good one up in Scotland called Wargames + Miniatures which is moving forward.

Northstar aren't the cheapest, and charge postage, but Nick uses Twitter to post regular updates, has a bargain section where he shifts excess stock, and as with Artizan he seems to be some sort of main agent for a range.

There are lots and lots of miniatures outfits and as we know most are pretty small - to market and set yourself up properly I should imagine needs a fair amount of initial capital - if you haven't got the capital, then an arrangement with a good dealer can be mutually beneficial.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »
It seems those greek figures are actually the ones from Immortal Games.  Wondering how that came to be.

Yup:

Warlord Games are pleased to present Immortal Miniatures' new Classical Greek Hoplite plastic boxed set.

I like the "Special Offer." Buy three £12.00 boxes for only £35.00! How can you pass up that kind of savings!  :wink:

I think smaller manufacturers are finding it difficult to both make and sell miniatures.

Probably. There's a lot of work involved and some of the smaller (and even some of the larger) manufacturers seem to get overwhelmed at times.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
Yeah, Warlords special offers do leave you a touch underwhelmed dont they
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg