home

Author Topic: What historical figures are ya workin' on?  (Read 5902 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
What historical figures are ya workin' on?
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
This month ... I'm doing up 10 WW1 28mm French.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: What historical figures are ya workin' on?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Not historical per se, but I do like to kitbash a lot of WWII/modern soldiers from Dragon, Zvezda and Tamiya series.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
Three dioramas
'Take 5': M3 Stuart and crew resting during the North African campaign
'Wake Island': USMC machine gun crew with their backs to the wall
'Desperation': Final days of the battle of Berlin

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »
Have people tried Flames of War much? It seems to be popular at my local club, and I like their paint, but I don't know much about the game itself.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
I have the rules and the Italian army book. I have long wanted to try this out. A friend who played looked at me and said - any army but the Italians - ANY. For some reason I love the Italian ww2 North African army and that’s what I would still collect. I’m a sucker for lost causes.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
16 Franco-Prussian war Prussian infantry, just got the coats done and pickelhaube's painted
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »

Ooh. Early or late? I like the impractical & outdated early war uniforms. Had some of the Renegade minis painted just for fun (though I had wanted to do some gaming as well...)

Unfortunately, I have't done any historical gaming/painting in quite a while and almost all of my minis are gone. I've recently started re-reading Xenophon's Anabasis, though, and have been looking at options for Greek & Persian minis...  :engel:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
Reading Anabasis is a pretty sure fire way to get inspired to do something. Last time I read it I almost bought a whole Greek themed army and turned my entire long running D&D game into a hard Greek/Persian direction.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
Not historical per se, but I do like to kitbash a lot of WWII/modern soldiers from Dragon, Zvezda and Tamiya series.
Sound historical.  Do you use them for gaming?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »
Three dioramas
'Take 5': M3 Stuart and crew resting during the North African campaign
'Wake Island': USMC machine gun crew with their backs to the wall
'Desperation': Final days of the battle of Berlin
Interesting that you're working on three at once.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »
Have people tried Flames of War much? It seems to be popular at my local club, and I like their paint, but I don't know much about the game itself.
I have the rules and the Italian army book. I have long wanted to try this out. A friend who played looked at me and said - any army but the Italians - ANY. For some reason I love the Italian ww2 North African army and that’s what I would still collect. I’m a sucker for lost causes.
Not into FoW here, although I purchased a bunch of Germans on sale for making a Grenadier force.  Never got around to it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »
16 Franco-Prussian war Prussian infantry, just got the coats done and pickelhaube's painted
What scale ya doing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
Ooh. Early or late? I like the impractical & outdated early war uniforms. Had some of the Renegade minis painted just for fun (though I had wanted to do some gaming as well...)
Late War from Forgotten Glorious.  I'm using the heads with the Adrian helmets, and have ordered some more to expand the group, and paint some with the Senegalese heads as well.

Unfortunately, I have't done any historical gaming/painting in quite a while and almost all of my minis are gone. I've recently started re-reading Xenophon's Anabasis, though, and have been looking at options for Greek & Persian minis...  :engel:
Uh oh, you're in trouble now. :icon_wink:

I've got a Late Persian army in process based for Impetus.  And I have a bunch of Greeks I got from a Kickstarter done by Tiger Miniatures.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:19:20 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »

Nah, just to put on a desk. I don't paint them either. A few I've made for my gaming characters or for NPC's from my sessions. A few just because I had a particular idea in my mind. I'm a huge fan of 1:35 scale. It's easy to work with and the details on models are always big enough to catch an eye.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »
Finished Take 5 tonight. It took some modifying. The driver, I wanted to be sitting on a K ration crate, reading a newspaper but he looked out of place as I had the gunner, sitting on a crate of shells, reading a Yank magazine. Problem was solved by placing the driver, coming out of the drivers hatch.
I'll post photos if I can figure out how. AND if I can get either of my crappy cameras to work.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
[I've recently started re-reading Xenophon's Anabasis, though, and have been looking at options for Greek & Persian minis...  :engel:

Oh, cool! What translation / text are you reading, and would you recommend it? My copy dates from 1872 so I wouldn't mind reading a more modern version (though you should avoid reading Manfredi's novelisation "The Lost Army" which I really didn't enjoy). My high school headmaster studied classics at Oxford and is responsible for my love of Xenophon and Thucydides and so on.

I used to have a 28mm Macedonian army which I loved (probably not as well painted as I remember) but sold to pay bills during the three years I attempted adulthood. And a 6mm Macedonian army which I think I also passed on. Even harder to find people to play proper wargames than it is to find Warhammer players, and look how hard that is :(

Anyway, one day I will go back to ancients, maybe at 6 or 10 mm scale to keep the costs down

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
Quote shadespyre: but sold to pay bills during the three years I attempted adulthood.

Priceless 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »
I love the Anabasis, but I don't know what version I have. Sadly it's in a box somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's from around 1910 or something.

I love that I don't check in here for a day or two and find GP single handily carrying the thread.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
I'll have to check on the translation, the book is on my desk at work. Theoretically, relaxing with a bit of reading is part of my lunch break plans, but I haven't picked it up in two weeks now. I'm not very far into it, but so far I'm not as fond as I was of the previous translation (not sure what that one was, either.)

As far as age of translations, nothing wrong with many of the older ones. Sometimes they're the best.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
Similarly, I have a book of short stories on my desk for the same purpose. Untouched, mostly because of the internet. Best intentions and all that.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
Nah, just to put on a desk. I don't paint them either. A few I've made for my gaming characters or for NPC's from my sessions. A few just because I had a particular idea in my mind. I'm a huge fan of 1:35 scale. It's easy to work with and the details on models are always big enough to catch an eye.
I've seen that size used at Historicon for small area skirmish games.  Once saw a church building being used in that scale for a game.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
Finished Take 5 tonight. It took some modifying. The driver, I wanted to be sitting on a K ration crate, reading a newspaper but he looked out of place as I had the gunner, sitting on a crate of shells, reading a Yank magazine. Problem was solved by placing the driver, coming out of the drivers hatch.
I'll post photos if I can figure out how. AND if I can get either of my crappy cameras to work.
Congrats!  :::cheers:::

On the project, not the camera. :icon_wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
Got my new figures from Forgotten Glorious.  All the way to here from France.  They'll go into the painting que with the other 10 French WW1 28mm.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
I've seen that size used at Historicon for small area skirmish games.  Once saw a church building being used in that scale for a game.

That church had to be massive. 1:35 ain't exactly small, at least compared to standard 'hammer minis.

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »
It was, as were the other buildings at one end of the playing area.