home

Author Topic: More Blood Bowl Fun!  (Read 2609 times)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
More Blood Bowl Fun!
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: More Blood Bowl Fun!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
So they're punishing their customers by withholding a product they could be making money off of because other miniature companies are filling the gap they themselves failed to take care of, which is creating models for their own game?

:eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:12:59 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »
They're retarded. Is this a case of sites actually advertising Blood Bowl miniatures, or are people on forums and stuff merely recommending them...

They've also sent Christer, creator and admin of fumbbl.com, this letter.
I was going to create a thread for it, but then I saw this pop up.

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1574

Great.
Shut down the only decent way of playing Blood Bow online.
The Cyanide game is kinda crap, this is a much better community and game. And I can't run the PC game on my laptop, denying me a regular way of playing Blood Bowl.

I love the game, but Games Workshop are suddenly taking away the largest Blood Bowl community, and what also seems to be their largest advertisment of the game. Not only that, it's free advertisment. The Blood Bowl revenue they must have generated thanks to that site must surely be noticable, via word of mouth as well.

It's a sad time for Blood Bowl, if I'm honest.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »
"It is not enough that I succeed, everyone else must fail."

- attributed to unknown meat popsicle in a suit at GW Mother Corp.

It is the support of the fans that have carried this game when GW ignored it.  It's a great game and has only had it's success due the direhard supporters. 

"We don't make these mini's, we have no plans to ever make them, we publish rules for them.  But someone who loves this game wants to make them and sell.  How dare someone else create mini's for a game genre we literally stole from RQ decades ago!  They must be crushed ruthlessly and at all costs"
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline sgtshamrock

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
I wish GW would realize that they are the industry standard in this niche market and stop trying to be a damn monopoly! I mean seriously, rather than being @$$holes about this hobby and industry they should embrace the fact that they are the standard at which every other company in this market sets themselves to instead of being self concious and "taking their ball and going home." Imitation is the best form of flatery, and if they feel like they can't compete or continue to set the standard with other companies then they should step their game up so we the consumer/gamer benefit instead of putting a lockdown on the hobby/game system and making us suffer. I about had it with Grandma Wendy, and I'm a die hard fan of her too...

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:44:53 AM »

If I remember correctly Jervis's last Standard Bearer and Rick P's into on the 25th leatherbound rule book. Both talk about the Fan nature of their game and the friendly nature of everyone playing etc.

I struggle to believe these two "icons" of GW would not be appalled at the way the legal side of GW treats these fans. I was wondering if sending a letter to Rick explaining these actions against the Fan based side of the game would have any merit.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:10 AM »

First, regarding the article, as I understand it (and this may not be correct), that's not necessarily an official GW statement, nor has it been verified to be their official policy. It's apparently a second hand statement.

Also, they are within their rights to try to protect their IP. Even if it means offending the fan base to whom they are trying to sell. Besides, after countless times the nerd rage (to borrow a Shadowlord term, I believe) rises up for decision after decision, they're still selling piles of games and figures. So their policies haven't dragged them down, yet.

If I remember correctly Jervis's last Standard Bearer and Rick P's into on the 25th leatherbound rule book. Both talk about the Fan nature of their game and the friendly nature of everyone playing etc.

I struggle to believe these two "icons" of GW would not be appalled at the way the legal side of GW treats these fans. I was wondering if sending a letter to Rick explaining these actions against the Fan based side of the game would have any merit.

They have got to be aware of it. They are at the top of the company food chain, and as you stated, they're part of the wargaming community as well.

People are quick to blame "suits" and "bean counters" in a lot of complaints about GW policy, but when it comes down to it, the "icons" are still part of the management of the company.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:04:22 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
What 023 said.

From all I know GW makes little money with designing the systems itself (you can only sell so many rulebooks), but rather with the miniatures. They are paying for the designing costs with the money they make from the miniatures. Companies which just make miniatures, but no rules, have less costs. So from GW's POV, it might make sense not to make rules if there aren't any miniatures.

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 03:24:17 AM »
GW havent done any design as such in many years.  All the rules revisions have been made by a rules committee of people who volunteer their time with Jervis only really saying OK.  So in many ways the game belongs to the people who have made the game what it is.  They have sent cease and desist letters to anyone who has the world "bloodbowl" in a URL, and I have heard it has spread further to mordenhiem and even some 40K stuff.  So it might not be long before GW come knocking here and we have to change our forums name.  Now some of the things they are doing I can understand, like wanting to stop others benefiting from making miniatures for this game by being so clearly flagged.  But thats rather a product of their own position of lack of support for the game, so others came to fill the gap.  Now that the genies is out of the bottle fantasy football figures are not going away.  I see a lot of people using other companies miniatures for this game and I too have started including other manufacturers in my WH army if I think the model better represents what I want to do.   There isn't any GW store within 250 miles of me and I am not going to any tournaments so it really isn't a problem.

I am prepared to give GW a lot of slack but this maybe one action to far for me.  Their products are about us taking their IP and imagining something on top of that, to add value, if there is some restriction on what we can then do with it, maybe I want to do something else.
Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure that, for example, Gav Thorpe was a GW employee when he wrote the DE armybook.

Now some of the things they are doing I can understand, like wanting to stop others benefiting from making miniatures for this game by being so clearly flagged.  But thats rather a product of their own position of lack of support for the game, so others came to fill the gap. 

Exactly. I don't blame them for trying not to leave a gap.

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
Gee, touchy much?

Calm dowwn maannnn, thur not gonna hrrt yuu.
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 05:22:22 AM »
Grandma Wendy often makes me want to slam my head into a Brick Wall...  :eusa_wall:
What the he11 is their problem?

http://artistsunited.myfreeforum.org/index.php
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.