home

Author Topic: Mat Chat Tonight!  (Read 3213 times)

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
Mat Chat Tonight!
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi all, just a reminder that the chat interview with Mat Ward is set for tonight at 9pm GMT (10:00pm mainland Europe; 04:00pm US Eastern; 10:00am OZ).

You can get in using this link:

http://www.warvault.net/chat/chat.php

See you there!
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Mat Chat Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »
Well... I missed it :-(

Hope everything went well... and that we get a transcript soon  :icon_biggrin:

EDIT:
Did the snooping myself, here is a transcript:

http://www.warvault.net/chat/matchat.php
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 10:26:47 PM by Calvin »
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but I think there was not a single 'cloned marketing answer' in the whole thing!  :icon_eek:

I have to say I was surprised by the amount of useful, clever and above else honest answers by Mat Ward. He really seems to understand how O&G work and could justify each of his decisions in the design process, often explaining the rationale behind troop types and their cost and such. And in addition to this, the whole army book wasn't even written by a regular O&G player...

Now... remembering the Empire chat with Graham McNeill, stated Empire player...  :icon_sad:  I'll just say that I feel now even more disappointed by what Mr McNeill said. The whole chat had a 'pre-fab answer' feeling to it in comparison to the Mat Ward chat (And Mat is the one still employed by GW!). And I suddenly remember things like " Hmmm... maybe, but I'd take S4 any day!" and this, concerning engineers:

Queek: And their pigeons?

Graham: Well, that was one we had to put in after I saw Karl Kopinski’s drawing!

Queek: Thank you.

I sense a bit of sarcasm in that 'thank you'.

For 8th edition, I'd be happy to have Mat Ward redesign Empire, let me tell you.

Finally: Thank you and a big  :eusa_clap: for everyone involved in bringing this second chat, with a current GW designer no less. I am really happy for being part of a forum that sports such enthusiastic and resourceful individuals. Keep up the good work!

PM
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
If you're genuine and not really trying to hide stuff it comes across.  Nothing against Mr. McNeill, but he did seem evasive of things and shrugged his shoulders when a tough question came about.  Mr. Ward on the other hand, as PM pointed out, seemed to have thought everything through and had a reason for why he did what he did.  If you can back up what you've done, people will be able to swallow the pill a bit more easily.  Good job to those who brought the second chat about.  Not even an orc player, but it was a good read.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
I recommend it for everyone here on the site, it contains a lot of insight into how a designer is thinking, and sneaky General H. has managed to slip Mr Ward a few empire related questions as well, for example regarding Sollands Runefang. Also brought up was - again - how playtesting is done these days. Well done!

PM

ps: Dang, I missed my entry into the lofty league of the three-digit-post-count. Now  people will really start to listen to me!
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war- MacArthur
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:54:48 AM »
I hate to be a necromantic swine, but where can i find this Empire chat? I read the O&G one, and would be interested in the Empire one as well.  Thanks.
"I would hate for some...Imperial General to get banned from such an excellent site because of an extraneous penis"

Rufas the Ecccentric (R.I.P)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
Maybe you should actually read the thread you raise from the dead  :icon_rolleyes: and look about 4 posts up to the link in Calvin's post.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »
Thats the O&G transcript. I'm after the Empire one. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
"I would hate for some...Imperial General to get banned from such an excellent site because of an extraneous penis"

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »
Yes me too - I didn't look too hard at it either ........

However a 'very' quick search did turn this up ...............

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=14288.0

which leads to this:

http://www.warvault.net/chat/transcript.php
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:51:06 PM »
Thanks very much. Sorry for wasting your time.