home

Author Topic: Crisis in Marienburg Update!  (Read 24654 times)

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Crisis in Marienburg Update!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 03:52:43 AM »
From where I am I've still got ten minutes.

And by our Emperor's watch it is still a few hours.  :happy:
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 03:25:03 AM »
Two questions?

1. For us newer folks to Warhammer and the Empire, where can I find info on how something like this "Crisis in Marienburg" thing works?

2. It has been noticed that Averland hasn't been mentioned in the fluff available ... is this because we need to instead resolve the situation with our current lack of someone in Averland's Elector Count seat?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 04:29:50 AM »
Two questions?

1. For us newer folks to Warhammer and the Empire, where can I find info on how something like this "Crisis in Marienburg" thing works?

2. It has been noticed that Averland hasn't been mentioned in the fluff available ... is this because we need to instead resolve the situation with our current lack of someone in Averland's Elector Count seat?

I think I can answer the first one...

The exact layout of how this campaign will be run has not been announced as of yet. But in general for most online campaigns at the start of the campaign you join a side. Then you play games at home as you would normally and you then report the outcome of you games (win/draw/loss) on the campaign website. This then tallies with everyone else results and give you an overall faction result which then competes with the other factions for control of places or territories on the campaign map.

As for why Averland is not included i cannot say.
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
I think Averland is technically allied with Marienburg.  I think it mentions it in the timeline.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »
Two questions?

I think I can answer the first one...

The exact layout of how this campaign will be run has not been announced as of yet. But in general for most online campaigns at the start of the campaign you join a side. Then you play games at home as you would normally and you then report the outcome of you games (win/draw/loss) on the campaign website. This then tallies with everyone else results and give you an overall faction result which then competes with the other factions for control of places or territories on the campaign map.
Thanks for the info! :icon_biggrin:

As for why Averland is not included i cannot say.
Well, Averland has tended to stay away from the political infighting that occurs inside the Empire, with some rare exceptions, and that is ok if we continue to do such.  Perhaps because Stirland is allied with Altdorf/Reikland, Nuln, and Wissenland, Averland is struggling to make a commitment. Plus there is the issue of having an Elector Count as well. Hmmm ... we have traditionally served the Empire by protecting the Black Fire Pass along with some Dwarfs and some other mercenaries, and I suspect that most in the Empire could see the value in us maintaining this role. Besides, if we sent troops off to fight elsewhere, someone might try to take advantage of this by attacking the Empire as a whole by using the Black Fire Pass. Thus, staying at home could make much sense. :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
I think Averland is technically allied with Marienburg.  I think it mentions it in the timeline.
I reread the Background. No mention of us being allied with Marienburg, pure rumor at the moment. Besides, this would certainly effect how our closest neighbors were viewing Averland, and could create all kinds of unneccessary issues. Can't see us siding with Marienburg, at the moment. :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:28:48 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
Averland is in bed with Marienburg. Also, the campaign is set in 2201, when Averland did have an Elector (not that being an Elector means as much when there are four Emperors and no elections).
Oh my. :icon_eek:

I stand corrected. I reread the Timeline and there is a reference as follows:

"2199  Poor harvests lead to widespread starvation across The Empire. Marienburg forges a trade pact with Averland, Estalia and the major Tilean city-states, allowing it to control the importation of supplies to The Empire. The ships of the Marienburg Alliance, aided by those of the Western Elves, blockade the Nordland and Kislevite coast. Nordland and Kislev, backed by the Otillian Empire, form the League of Free Traders. Their aim is to break the blockade and provide food for their starving populations."

Uh boy. :roll: My apology.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
Hmmm ... perhaps this means I need to reconsider my position over on the "Calling All Lords of Averland!" thread in the Elector Count forum. Although this Averlander is not really into making enemies within the Empire just for the sake of the outsiders. Seems like quite a predictament. :icon_confused:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Just remember that this upcoming campaign is a 'historical' campaign, and doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation in the Empire.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
Just remember that this upcoming campaign is a 'historical' campaign, and doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation in the Empire.
Unfortunately I didn't get it previously, and feel badly that I missed tracking something as simple as the dates. The "historical" Marienburg Crisis campaign is set in 2201. The current GW year is 2522.  :icon_redface:

I'll chalk it up to my newness, and move full speed ahead. :icon_wink:

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
So, hows development moving along? Do ye need to hire some new hands? Whens the launch date? Am I being a prick?

- Zandur
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »
Yeah, the concept of "within the Empire" is a little off at the moment, because you straight away have to ask "which Empire", given that there are three.

Besides Marienburg hasn't split off at this time anyway, its still part of Westerland

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
I have some questions:

1) Is Averland ALLIED with Marienburg, or does it just have a trade deal with them? Why would they Ally with them and piss off ALL the neighboring provinces?

2) Why would Averland make a deal with a city some ~550 miles away from them? We're talking the distance from Washington DC to Detroit. That's a LONG way to march/send food.

3) Why wouldn't the other breadbasket southern provinces join them?

~Karl Voss

EDIT- After rereading my post, I figured it might come off as hostile. Don't take it as such, i'm just curious to which parts are actual fluff, which is invented for the campaign, and why.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »
1. I think there is simply a trade agreement between them, but given the widespread famine all over the Empire and the fact that Marienburg pretty much controls all the trade to Imperial lands that would provide a powerful incentive for Averland to maintain the agreement closely.

2. Survival or profit maybe, Marienburg controls all trade to imperial lands, that a lucrative opportunity for the Averlanders.

3. probably something to do with the famine, or they could just be part of one of the other Empires.

Maybe the Averlanders joined Marienburg because they just weren't into the oppression of the Sigmarites or Ulricans... :closed-eyes:

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 01:59:10 AM »
Averland is very Sigmarite according to fluff, so I can't see why they wouldn't partner up with the other Sigmaritic provinces. As far as survival goes, it would be suicidal for Averland to set themselves at odds with the provinces. They would be pounded from three sides by three provinces including the powerful armies in Reikland (the capital). The nearest support from Marienburg would take MONTHS to get anywhere near Averland, not counting the horrors that lurk in the forests. Averland is very similar to the surrounding southern provinces, so I really cant see why they would act outside of the norm.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
Plus Averland is closest to the Tileans and Estalians, and may have lots of existing trade going already with those 'partners'.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
They certainly make use of Tilean mercs and weapons, as added by Marius Leitdorf way after the campaign date.

It would be sort of hard to make the months long forced march through provinces that want you dead, so you can fight around Marienburg... in a swamp  :icon_lol:

Unless Averland thinks it's Germany in WW2 and can conquer or annex their way north to Marienburg, then I can't see why they would abandon their neighbors and start such a fuss - especially with the long term side effects of Reikland Stirland and Wissenland  surrounding Averland during the campaign not to mention Nuln which is right on the Border of Averland and certainly has a powerful army - When we should be guarding Black Fire Pass and assisting the Emperor's Army.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »

It would be sort of hard to make the months long forced march through provinces that want you dead, so you can fight around Marienburg... in a swamp  :icon_lol:

Unless their troops hopped on Estalian ships and went by sea .............

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 04:55:36 PM »
They'd have to go through Wissenland first, then the mountains, then Tilea, then all the way around Estalia to land a Marienburg. The Border Princes are just as unfriendly as the forests of the Empire. Unless The Reman Legions can spare a Warhammer version of Hannibal, it'd probably be safer for Averland to fight are way north through our neighbors. Walking there alone is 500+ miles, and that would take months. Sailing would be safer but still take longer.

Either case its going to be a rough time getting Averlanders to Marienburg through Reikland, Nuln, Wissenland and all her allies.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:43:54 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
I hope i'm not coming off to you as rude, as that is not my intention. I know that the campaign team knows where Averland is, that is why I'm saying its strange that they still decided to team them up with a non-sigmarite faction. Unless the fluff written makes Averland extremely powerful with a massive unified army, fighting a war on the other end of the continent is a little odd for the southern breadbasket colony- especially considering the time period and the technology and the provinces surrounding Averland.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:26:04 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »
Alternatively what we could do is take the southern provinces out altogether as their hunger and near starvation would mean they would be to weak to travel .............

........ and, as an aside to the fluff, we could just explain their absence by saying they are off invading the Border Princes region looking for supplies.

:engel:

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
not to interrupt this inspiring dabate on "fluffiness", however the background history for the campaign seems to give only the information leading up the conflict, and it is up to you the players to decide the aftermather and what happens in-bettween. After-all, time is a fickle thing and as we all know things change. We only have to look at our own lives to realize this, not to mention the history of the world  :-o

therefore isn't possible that onces the fighting starts, the rules of averland decide its not in their best interests to continue their support if Marienburg and side with some one else or stay out of the fighting all together?

its really up to you isn't, come on its just for fun after all  ::heretic::  ::heretic::  ::heretic::

have fun with it and if the Avarland wishes to defect to the Sigmarite Empire thats cool to  :-D
I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline Aquilifer

• Members
  • Ave Imperium!
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
Sorry to distract the current trend of the thread, but I have a question regarding the background of this campaign. What is the "Otillian Empire". Is it mentioned in GW lore, or is it a result of the War of the Ostermark Succession (which I did not witness)?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to vying factions of the campaign. As I'm not an Empire player and not that familiar with the state-structure, how could one describe the various contestant "empires". The Marienburg Alliance is a strategic union of Marienburg and some Tilean and Estalian city-states, in addition to help from "western elves"? (would they be subjects of the Phoeenix King, or unaffiliated free-trader types? I'm an HE player, so this info is important to me). Is this alliance led by merchant-princes, or by the Empress Magritta?
And then there is the Empire of the Middenland, which is Ulrican and the Sigmarite Empire, which I'm guessing is Sigmarite. Then what is this League of Free Traders? A consortium which opposes Marienburg's trade empire but is unwilling to join either of the other two?

So Marienburg:
-Greedy Traders
-Marienburg+some Tilean+some Estalian+some trading Elves

Middenland:
-Ulrican
-Northern Imperial States minus Nordland

Sigmarite:
-Sigmarite
-Southern Imperial States+Brettonian errantry

Free Traders:
-Mix of Ulric and Sigmar?
-Nordland+Kislev+Ottillians? +Dwarves???

I'm just trying to compartmentalize the factions into groups that are somewhat distinct, so it is easier for me to grasp the campaign background. Is this sort-of right?
Oh, and is there a technical "Emperor" of all the Empire still? Which faction does he belong to?
I know that I could scour the Marienburg site (which I have to some extent), but I just want some clarifications. Thank you.
The Twin Commanders of the Glorious Silver Legion of Yvresse for the Nemesis War:
Equileus Vaerendil, Lord Militant of Tor Yvresse and Daeus Aeredor, Bearer of the Sigil of Yvresse

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
first, the "Otillian Empire" refers to elector countess Ottilia of talabecland who proclaimed herself empress in 1360 and pretty much started the the civil war that engulfed the empire for the next 1000 years or so (aka the time of the three emperors)

second, Marienburg doesn't take orders from the elves. They are just strong trade partners which pisses-off every one else in the empire, excluding the Averland.

This link should answer most of your questions
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21680.0

:::cheers:::
I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline Aquilifer

• Members
  • Ave Imperium!
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
Wow. That link is extraordinarily helpful! I feel stupid for not seeing it...

Thanks.
The Twin Commanders of the Glorious Silver Legion of Yvresse for the Nemesis War:
Equileus Vaerendil, Lord Militant of Tor Yvresse and Daeus Aeredor, Bearer of the Sigil of Yvresse