home

Author Topic: Man has hissy fit and burns Dark Elf army in protest over AoS  (Read 11032 times)

Offline InvaderZim

• Members

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Man has hissy fit and burns Dark Elf army in protest over AoS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »
It's a bit petulant, but he made his point, and he can afford the lost money. This is a guy at my LGS. His name is John and I respect his decision, though I wouldn't have done it myself. We're all pretty heartbroken that Fantasy is dead. You can say "keep playing it" all you like, but where are your Dogs of War or Chaos Dwarf armies then? We're not sitting at Fantasy's bedside as it gasps it's last. We're purging and moving on. That goes for me as well. I will be selling the armies I have spent over a decade collecting and working on and switching to other companies' systems.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Guderian

• Members
  • Being out maneuvered by High Elves since 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »
I am very tempted to do the same thing.  I have over 20 000 pts of empire plastic assembled.  Not to mention my empire stuff still in boxes with its plastic clingfilm cover and pricetags. 

The only thing that stops me is watching TV shows like 'Extreme Collectors' and 'Antique Roadshow' makes me think that this plastic-crack may be worth something to collectors in 5 - 15 years time,  especially the stuff unassembled and still in original boxes with clingfilm/pricetag.

Still it would feel good to burn it all..........

Or I could just give Kings of War a go.

G
"Beating a fluffy list means nothing in proving your skill at the game or the power level of our armybook. Only by taking on competitive lists will you show your skill level and improve your understanding of this beautiful game "

""Competitive" is not a dirty word"

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
That he thinks AoS sucks (see video for copious points of dislike) and he's done with GW and is burning his army.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
he made his point

Which is?

I think it is that he is so upset with GW as a whole that he would rather burn his army then to sell it on ebay and support the company even in that fashion.  GW has made an enemy with this individual which will relate to encouraging everyone he meets to play a different game that a GW game.

PR is an important thing in a market where there are groups who encourage or discourage others about a product.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »
Perhaps GW is working on the assumption that even negative PR is good PR - which is, in fact, true in some cases, but I strongly doubt it applies to games.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
he made his point

Which is?

I think it is that he is so upset with GW as a whole that he would rather burn his army then to sell it on ebay and support the company even in that fashion.  GW has made an enemy with this individual which will relate to encouraging everyone he meets to play a different game that a GW game.

PR is an important thing in a market where there are groups who encourage or discourage others about a product.

Ambrose

Exactly this. He has other armies which he is selling on ebay, but the druchii were his first love in WFB, and he couldn't let anyone elee have them. He explained in the video that he knows this is pretty extreme and silly.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
I guess I just don't follow his logic - GW have ceased to support a game which he enjoys. He is angry and upset about this. I can appreciate that.

It makes little sense to not play GW games any more - that, specifically, doesn't hurt GW. It makes sense to not buy anything new from GW. But I can kind of see the idea - he doesn't want to even give them that much free advertising.

He HAS to know there are other people willing to play 8th ed - or other games with GW models. And that someone is going to buy models.

By destroying the models, he takes them out of circulation. He loses their value (he could have sold them) and no-one can buy them. So, people might buy from GW.

Basically, he has let go an opportunity to explicitly deny GW hobby-dollars.

And I don't see there is a lot of negative press here - "petulant man-child is so angry someone changed the game he burned nearly $1000!" That's all this is. Yes, he can say he dislikes Age of Sigmar - but he could do that without setting fire to stuff.

Right now, if someone asks him about GW or AoS he can explain why he dislikes it - but the instant someone learns he destroyed models and made a video about it to a heavy metal soundtrack etc. it causes raised eyebrows at the very least. Look at the responses here - very few people are saying "Yes, that was a reasonable action". IIRC, the most positive comment is "Yeah, it's petulant but ..."

People will just think he is a loony. That seems to be the prevailing view. This does not bolster any argument he makes concerning AoS. "That guy who set fire to his army thought it was terrible!" is not a recommendation for the opinion.

Exactly this. He has other armies which he is selling on ebay, but the druchii were his first love in WFB, and he couldn't let anyone elee have them. He explained in the video that he knows this is pretty extreme and silly.

So, HE admits it's silly. And "first love"? Very little painted for a "first love" army . . . unless this is just a stunt and he burned some semi-painted figures.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
He's not an avid painter.

I can assure you it's not a stunt. Swing by sometime and I'll introduce you. Talk to him for twenty minutes and you'll fully understand why this is not bizarre from him, and talk to him for two hours and he'll convince you it's the only sane thing a reasonable person could do.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
I find that highly unlikely.

His goal was to hurt GW.

Firstly, that is a pathetic desire. Secondly, he failed at it. Thirdly, he actively achieved the opposite of his goal.

I might understand why it's normal behavior for him - at which point I wouldn't bother talking to him for another minute.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »

His goal was to hurt GW.

Firstly, that is a pathetic desire. Secondly, he failed at it. Thirdly, he actively achieved the opposite of his goal.

I might understand why it's normal behavior for him - at which point I wouldn't bother talking to him for another minute.

Well that's very judgmental and condescending of you. I rescind the previous invitation to stop by. Have a nice day.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »
I'm listening to his rant. I've got about a minute in. I double-down on what I said.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
I think this is exactly what GW wants us to do.  GWs biggest competitor has always been GW circa two years ago.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

His goal was to hurt GW.

Well that's very judgmental and condescending of you. I rescind the previous invitation to stop by. Have a nice day.

That's probably a blessing in disguise. I'd be worried that he'd go over the deep-end and burn the whole place down with everyone inside as his form of the ultimate protest. :ph34r:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
Yeah, his fantasy about the death of the GW designers about a minute into his rant is a little disconcerting . . .

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »
Hyperbole.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
Of course - but it is still something he thought, said, recorded, and decided to put out there ... and is really rather disconcerting. That's not just a question of GW making him angry. That's some twisted stuff he'd got going on there and which he let out for everyone to see.

Imagine for a second if he'd said that about someone he knew personally - or maybe a cop who pulled him and his buddies over, or a girl who crossed him in love, or something of that sort.

Sure, it might have all been an act and he doesn't mean a word of it - but he still recorded that and put it out there and thought it was all A-Okay to say and not in any way a wee bit creepy.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

His goal was to hurt GW.

I don't think he is trying to 'hurt' GW.  I think he is just cutting ties permanently with GW and letting the world know it.
Again, I think the long lasting impression that GW has left on this individual (and probably many others) will be the biggest factor for GW future in this man's gaming circle, depending on relationships.

Again, I'm not burning my miniatures, but I don't feel like GW completely supported 8th edition (still 3 books undone) and I am a lot more hesitant to 'get into bed' with GW's new games, as it is quite possible they will just stop supporting it and come out with some non-compatible game later.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
I don't feel like GW completely supported 8th edition (still 3 books undone)

And, of course, the lack of any (real) Update Versions since April 2013.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »
He'd have been better off with one of those 'A' frame boards slung over his head and walked up and down outside his local GW store.

The front could say:
"I spent $xxxx on Fantasy and they just dumped it."

The back could say:
GW - our shareholders come before our customers"

It's late and I'm tired, so they're pretty weak captions - feel free to come up with better ones.   :engel:

If you wanted an effective protest then make it outside their stores - now that might just hurt their sales.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
Like self-immolation...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:38 PM »
Like self-immolation...

No I don't think I'd get fired up by that sort of thing ....................
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
But you would not burn your models either.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
Yeah, he's not trying to hurt GW. I mean, what's he going to do, hurt Fantasy Battle sales? He giving an outlet to his anger and making a symbolic break with them. Childish? I guess. Cathartic for him. Possibly. A lot healthier than going and putting a rock through a GW storefront or actually hurting someone.