home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 90756 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #675 on: December 23, 2020, 05:30:38 AM »
Ooh, that sounds like an interesting series. I'll have to look for a subtitled version as well. Most English dubs are difficult to enjoy for me.

My wife and I watched Bly Manor. It was pretty good, though I didn't care for the change in pacing (for lack of other term - without giving away spoilers) of the last two episodes.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2020, 04:55:29 AM »
I've been mostly watching kids shows: Shaun the Sheep, Sarah and Duck, Sailor Moon, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Shaun the Sheep: Great stuff! Its made by the same guys that made Wallace and Gromit. In fact, Shaun the Sheep is a spin off of the W&G movie "A Close Shave." The premise is simple. Shaun and the flock get into misadventures around the farm. An interesting thing to note is that there is no dialogue. Sheep goes, Baa, dog goes woof, chicken goes cluck. The humans are welsh, so they just speak in incoherent grunts and moans. Seasons 1-5  and the first movie is on Amazon Prime. Netflix has picked it up and released season 6 late last year along with a sequel movie "Farmageddon." Its great!

Sarah and Duck: Sarah and Duck is an enchanting show about a girl named Sarah and her pet Duck. Its hard to describe, but its just really chill and surprisingly quiet for a kid's show. Each episode is about 5-8 minutes long and it feels so much longer than that, and in a good way. We ended up buying the whole series on Amazon, but its free to watch in 20 minute to as long as an hour long compilations on youtube. Moon is by far the greatest character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F87fpmUgPUA

Sailor Moon: I largely avoided this show as a teenager. My wife however loved it when she was younger and we started watching it with my daughters. Its surprisingly good. The best way I can describe it: Its like the original Power Rangers. In the original Power Rangers the episode formula is 1) Teenage slice of life, 2) interrupted by Evil person sending a monster to attack innocent people and the rangers fight them, 3) giant robot fights a giant monster. The Sailor Moon formula is 1) Teenage slice of life, 2) investigate why strange shit is happening, 3) Transform and fight monster. Each season appears to have an overarching story, and although monster of the week is prevalent, it is leading to something. Surprisingly compelling story and well developed characters that far surpasses anything I expected.

MLP:FiM: So I had no interest in this show...until Q from TNG shows up. Now when I say Q from TNG, I don't just mean the actor. It is Q from TNG in all but name and appearance. I put it on for my kids so I can do stuff around the house and pretty much ignored it. Until I heard John de Lancie's voice. I sat down and watch and was surprised that it was Q! Same sassy mannerisms, reality bending powrs at a snap of his fingers, being sly and an annoyance to the main cast that are just ready to be rid of him. Since then I started taking an interest in the show and its surprisingly well done. I can see why it has 9 seasons and a theatrical movie. The songs in the show are Broadway quality and a few are real ear worms.

Away from the kids stuff, I have been watching Fire Force on Hulu:
After seeing clips and art on imgur, I decided to try it out. The intro music is really nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqxVX_LXvk

Its a post apocalyptic world, and in Tokyo people have started to spontaneous combust. When doing so they become fire zombies called "infernals." The government created a response team to put down these demonic entities and investigate in what causes this phenomenon. They are called the Fire Force and are deployed like, and alongside, the fire department. The fire department puts out the fires after the Fire Force puts down the infernal. Some people have been born with pyrokenetic powers. Some of these people can manipulate existing fire and use them against the infernals, and some have developed X-men style abilities that are fire based. Most fire force companies consist of these individuals. There are also pyrokenetic terrorists and arsonists to contend with too.

The story follows Fire Force Company 8 as they put down infernals and try to figure out the cause of spontaneous combustion. The leader of company 8 doesn't have any powers and is just a normal human. Our protagonist is Shinra, who is a recruit. He can shoot fire out of his feet which he uses to launch himself like a rocket, do fire kicks, and break dance fighting. He also has a nervous tick, kind of like the Joker, in that when he's nervous, anxious, or scared, he can't help but smile. This gets him into trouble a lot. He has a tragic past and wants to investigate the fire that killed his family. There are many other crew mates on the team including another rookie that can make a plasma sword and thinks he's King Arthur, a pyrokenetic woman that was recruited from the military, a nun that reads the last rites for the infernals when they get put down, a no nonsense lieutenant that can manipulate guns, and the captain that has no powers which is uncommon in the Fire Force.

The first few episodes are great, with the second episode being a real gut puncher. The third episode is also great and deepens the mystery of the show. There is one glaring problem that shows up. A new character is introduced and the opening sequences indicates they will be joining the team. Maybe its just my problem and I just don't get it, but her character is just cringey. She dresses in a bikini under her fire suit and has this "clumsiness" where she'll trip and fall into a guy which results in him touching her boob or butt. She then berates them for sexual harassment. In her introduction scene I didn't even see her trip but in a blink of an eye, Shinra was just standing there awkwardly, and then his hand was under her bikini top and on her boob.  He doesn't even know how it got there and he's not a lecherous character. She yells at him and "trips again" and now he has his hands on her butt. I just don't understand this type of character at all. It really breaks my immersion and is just awkward, and not in a funny way. Looking up the show, this is her entire character. She has the power to give herself fire cat powers, but other than that she's just there for fan service and to accidentally get groped.

Shitty side character aside, its really good. Real gut puncher moments and cool fight scenes with a couple of decent mysteries.

I need to catch up on Letterkenny. Season 9 is out but I think I am still on season 3.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #677 on: January 03, 2021, 08:27:21 AM »
MLP:FiM: So I had no interest in this show...until Q from TNG shows up. Now when I say Q from TNG, I don't just mean the actor. It is Q from TNG in all but name and appearance. I put it on for my kids so I can do stuff around the house and pretty much ignored it. Until I heard John de Lancie's voice. I sat down and watch and was surprised that it was Q! Same sassy mannerisms, reality bending powrs at a snap of his fingers, being sly and an annoyance to the main cast that are just ready to be rid of him. Since then I started taking an interest in the show and its surprisingly well done. I can see why it has 9 seasons and a theatrical movie. The songs in the show are Broadway quality and a few are real ear worms.

We did this sort of the opposite way. My girls have loved MLP for years, and now we as a family are watching Star Trek the Next Generation. They think Q sounds just like Discord!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #678 on: January 03, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
The Expanse season 5 has been good, though why Amazon has gone to this 3 and then weekly method for release is most frustrating.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #679 on: January 04, 2021, 01:06:12 AM »
I've been saving up the Expanse to binge it all at once over a day or two. I liked last year when they released all at once and could not figure out what the plan was behind this years schedule.

If your looking for nice relaxing shows, my mum and I have been watching both the Great British Sewing Bee and the Great Pottery Throwdown. Its mesmerizing watching people craft things (I'm also a big fan of Forged in Fire if you want to watch swordsmithing) and there's something very soothing about such a casual, good natured challenge show. I cant stand a lot of the modern cooking ones with people yelling at each other.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #680 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50:54 AM »
Started watching Mandalorian season 1 again with my wife. Hoping to get her up to speed so I can finally watch season 2. In the meantime, I'm enjoying S1 just as much the second time around!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #681 on: January 06, 2021, 02:44:00 AM »
Saw the PBS hour and a half long film called "Elizabeth is Missing".  No, it is not about a Queen.  Instead it is about an elderly woman played by played by Glenda Jackson who is losing her mind, and yet there is still enough left to seek the solution of a teenage disappearance that occurred when she was younger.  Jackson does an amazing job of portraying a person with dementia during that time when they can still have moments of complete lucidity, and there dementia hasn't overcome them fully yet.  It was an excellent story. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #682 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »
Started watching Mandalorian season 1 again with my wife. Hoping to get her up to speed so I can finally watch season 2. In the meantime, I'm enjoying S1 just as much the second time around!

My wife has been really into it. Its funny though, after a few episodes into season 2, when some information comes to light that I understood, she felt betrayed. "Why didn't you tell me about them? I feel like you're hiding stuff from me!" She was joking of course and just wanted me to dump some lore on her.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #683 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:02 AM »
Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Offline kingoftheempire12

• Members
  • dwarf from germany
« Reply #684 on: January 12, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »

I loooove it. So happy that after season 2 now finally some information is coming up! cant wait for the new season, i bought a new beamer to enjoy it even more. https://www.heimkinoheld.de/full-hd-beamer-test/ Has helped me finding the best one.
dwarf from germany

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #685 on: January 13, 2021, 04:49:12 AM »
Fargo

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #686 on: January 13, 2021, 05:57:05 AM »
I loved the first few seasons of Fargo!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #687 on: January 13, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
How good is Cobra Kai!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #688 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:05 AM »
Cobra Kai is fantastic!

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #689 on: January 13, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
I have enjoyed that so far too.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #690 on: January 13, 2021, 09:34:51 PM »
I am also a big fan of Cobra Kai.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #691 on: January 13, 2021, 10:05:59 PM »
I tried to google Cobra Kai but got images of the villain from G.i.Joe instead

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #692 on: January 14, 2021, 04:29:58 AM »
The first thing I got was this:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #693 on: January 14, 2021, 06:17:49 PM »
Oh another show that I just remember that was really good is Ted Lasso. Ted is an American Football coach who helped a real shitty minor league team turn it around and win the league, and because of that he's hired to be the head coach for a top British Football team thats doing really poorly. If you caught the fact thats two different kinds of football, you might guess that its actually a secret conspiracy to tank the British Football team for reasons. Its actually a pretty heartwarming/uplifting comedy. Very similar to Schitts Creek if you know that, or possibly to Parks & Rec but not quite as zany.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #694 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
The first thing I got was this:

That is Sly and Cobra I believe?
However fun fact - one of the jerk army bad guys from Rambo 2 was the sensei of Cobra Kai in the original Karate Kid movies.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #695 on: January 15, 2021, 02:48:20 AM »
The Musketeers on PBS.  Missed episode 1 of season 1, and started with episode 2 this evening.  Enjoyed! :::cheers:::

Apparently 1st season was in 2014, then 2nd in 2015, 3rd in 2016.

Anyone else ever see these?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2021, 05:18:50 AM »
The Musketeers on PBS.  Missed episode 1 of season 1, and started with episode 2 this evening.  Enjoyed! :::cheers:::

Apparently 1st season was in 2014, then 2nd in 2015, 3rd in 2016.

Anyone else ever see these?
Kids I babysat 20 years ago were obsessed with Albert the 5th musketeer. It was a most annoying program

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2021, 06:52:00 AM »
Ha!  Well the first show I watched only had Athos, Porto, Aramis, and D'Artagnan.  Did see a 5th musketeer yet.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
I have been watching the Expanse also, but must say that the first season was a bit like "hmm ok where is this going?" for me

Also watched the whole season of Star Trek: Picard in 2 days time.. that one really pulled me in to keep watching. I think that was the real first time I did binge watching
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #699 on: January 15, 2021, 10:02:17 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:15:16 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.