home

Author Topic: Killing blow  (Read 389 times)

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
Killing blow
« on: April 08, 2024, 08:29:31 AM »
So this popped up and maybe I have 8th Ed bias but can killing blow kill a demigryphs. Monstrous cavalry is under the sub category of Calvary so... I believe it does?

Offline sedobren

• Members
Re: Killing blow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 08:52:54 AM »
Killing blow works on infantry and cavalry so yes, it can kill demigryphs since they are monstrous cavalry

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 10:01:17 AM »
Yes. To be clear, "infantry" and "cavalry" aren't a thing in itself in TOW as it used to be in Fantasy;

Infantry for instance, is divided into "Regular / Heavy / Monstrous".
A rule that works against (or works if you are) "Infantry" will work regardless if you are regular infantry, heavy infantry or monstrous infantry, and same goes for cavalry and it's sub categories.

So KB works against anything except Chariots, Monsters and Warmachines iirc.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »
Did killing blow used to work on Ogres before?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 12:53:30 PM »
@ Powerseries:

No.

BRB p. 72: "Killing Blow is only effective against infantry, cavalry and war beasts — all other creatures are considered either too large to be felled by a single blow (monsters, monstrous infantry / cavalry / beasts, chariots and so on) or too numerous for a well-placed strike to slay them all (Swarms)."
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 05:39:01 PM »
Well I guess that item that makes you immune to killing blow will go on my demigryph champs.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 06:09:59 PM »
Huh... that would have been good to know a few games ago when my demigryph preceptor was KB'd by a Dark Elf assassin. Good to know for the future though.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 06:13:38 PM »
@ Powerseries:

No.

BRB p. 72: "Killing Blow is only effective against infantry, cavalry and war beasts — all other creatures are considered either too large to be felled by a single blow (monsters, monstrous infantry / cavalry / beasts, chariots and so on) or too numerous for a well-placed strike to slay them all (Swarms)."

Hey Fidelis... can you check that page number and re-share? Killing Blow is on page 172, but I don't see an exceptions for monstrous infantry of cavalry written into it.

I hope I'm missing something though.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 06:19:51 PM »
@ Powerseries:

No.

Hey Fidelis... can you check that page number and re-share? Killing Blow is on page 172, but I don't see an exceptions for monstrous infantry of cavalry written into it.

I hope I'm missing something though.

I believe he was referencing 8th ed

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 06:29:21 PM »
Ah, yes. Thanks for the directions, Footpatrol2.

So we did do it right... in the Old World KB does work against monstrous infantry and cav, but did not in 8th.

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 09:34:58 PM »
What Footpatrol2 says - since that was the question of Powerseries. Note that. before the 8th edition, there was no general category "troop type", nor indeed, any specific categories "monstrous infantry/cavalry/beasts," and the Killing Blow special rule  in 6th and 7th was determined otherwise (although, to keep to Powerseries's question. Ogres were exempt in both editions too).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 10:10:08 PM »
Cool, thanks for the follow up!

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 12:45:50 AM »
Any spells that let a character re-roll to wound? ...in any army?
Killing blow is pretty good but fishing for 6's on a model with attacks 3 or 4 is risky. But headsman axe in BRB isn't too bad.

Maybe a chapter master on horse with Headsman Axe would be a good cheap choice? Against certain metas.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 02:10:04 AM »
Hammer of Sigmar let’s you re-roll 1s to hit and wound.