home

Author Topic: Archers skirmish vs open order.  (Read 277 times)

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
Archers skirmish vs open order.
« on: April 20, 2024, 11:59:01 PM »
Is there any reason why you would want your archers to be in open order over skirmish? One thing I can think of is it will allow more models to volley fire and be a little easier on range. Any other reason?

Also can you volley in skirmish or do models block line of sight?

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
Re: Archers skirmish vs open order.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 12:14:49 AM »
Probably skirmishers as you can easily enough get two ranks to shoot with a bit more frontage.  If you really wanted a large unit I guess open order would be better but I think the small flexible skirmishing screens are more popular

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 01:10:07 AM »
Just about options rather than restrictions I think.
Skirmish is better.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 01:18:25 AM »
Is there any reason why you would want your archers to be in open order over skirmish? One thing I can think of is it will allow more models to volley fire and be a little easier on range. Any other reason?

Open Order can get +2 CR from ranks as well.

Skirmish is generally better most of the time, but Open Order isn't completely pointless.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 06:26:49 AM »
If you want to do marching column (with or without steed of shadows shenanigans) then Open Order is the only way.

There is a bigger tradeoff with fast cav because Cav have higher than US1 so don't inflict the minus one to hit penalty.