home

Author Topic: New Empire Army  (Read 18014 times)

Offline Panama

• Members
New Empire Army
« on: August 09, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
Hello,

I am from Germany and just started a new Empire project. I sold all my GW stuff shortly, but than I wanted to paint something and started a new army :eusa_wall:
I am a fan of the old spearmen, so my first pictures are some of them. I do not have much time for painting, but I hope to get motivatet by posting the progress. Therefore updates will take some time.
I do not really have a background for that army yet. But it will be something from near the border to Bretonnia as I will mix some Breton parts to the army. Sometime I want also build some scenery, but this is far away yet.
So, here are some pics. I hope You like them. I try to paint everyone in an other color and give them a realistic look. Not sure if they look realistic, but I am quite satisfied with them  :icon_smile:

Offline LarsRock

• Members
Re: New Empire Army
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Welcome! :::cheers:::

I really like your minis, the different colours make them look very dynamic! Especially since you chose the old spearmen, they lend themselves very well to this sort of "mixmatched" unit!
Great work!
Behold as Rome burns, as do I
īTis not the last empire to crumble

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
Very nice indeed. They're gonna look great as a big unit, and amazing as an army. Keep going and keep posting!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
Great Landsknecht look on these cleanly converted pikemen.

What specially caught my eye was how you've painted their armour. Looks really good.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
You're off to a good start, how large will your unit of pikemen be? I like the older spearmen too, I think that they rank up easier. What are you palns for expansion if any? Low tech with bows and crossbows, minimal cannons and knights or high tech with handguns, hellblasters, and demigryphs?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
Nice job. I prefer non-black shades, but the visual effect is really intensive, it works.
Nice job also with conversions; you've achieved to change their heads pretty fine. For me, their pikes are a little bit long, but, in any case, it works again!
But if I can give you some advice, I would chose a unique colour scheme for your army. If you do that, then your troops will be more integrated, in a unit level, and in the enterely army level.

And welcome to the forum!  :::cheers:::

Offline Panama

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »
Hi, thank You for Your comments,

the armour is actually painted really simple, just a layer boltgun metal followed by chainmal, black shade and a then a little mithril silver brushing.

These four guys are experimental objects more or less. They where the first ones and I had finished them already, then I decided to paint them a little different and then I swapped the spears. And everything while they where standing at this 40x40 base, as I was scared to break their feet, trying to remove them.  :eusa_wall:
So all in all, the next ones will hopefully be a little cleaner. :icon_biggrin:

The pikes seem to be very long at the pictures , in real this effect is less intensive. But I know what You mean. In the end I orientated the length by literature. In real they would be about 6m long.
Black shading can look very hard and I am also not always pleased with it, but especially in case of the old Spearmen I thing it gives the slightly plump minis more depth. (still they belong to my favourites :wink:)

I have about 50 Spearmen so far. After them I have about 50 Swordsmen to paint. I also have some handgunners. I have to admit, I do not have a real plan yet. I would love a very big colorful Pike regiment, so maybe this one will get bigger.
As I played Bretons before my broat tactical understanding confines to: Men at arms to the right, Men at arms to the left, cavalry attack. And do not bother me with this odd bows or other wide range weapons=> very suspect  :ph34r:

I like cavalry, so there will be lots of them. I think the new tactic is: Pikeman to the left, Swordsmen to the right, cavalry attack  :-D and maybe something with blackpowder. I like steamtanks=> iron cavalry.

Now I wrote everything confused, sorry.
Ahh, the unique colour scheme. There will be a garde du corps with a unique scheme, but for the rest I am too much in this renaissance mercenary thing. :icon_smile:
Btw. pics of two knights:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »
By the old gods and the new!!
What a beatiful and deteiled work on that armours!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Im very impressed   :eusa_clap: if you do a cavalry heavy force with that level of detail on all the models Id be speechless.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
sweet work sir
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
That horse armour is the best I've seen. My own attempts (partially due, perhaps, to my stubborn continued use of enamels, and partly due to my hand getting more wobbly as I age) are embarrassing in comparison.

Marvellous stuff.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Westfalia

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
Very nice - I like the German Rennaisance elements in particular. And fab idea with the pikes. I am using actual 28mm Landsknechts for my own Empire army.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
Excellent work indeed! A very Renaissance feel, and the detail on the knight's armour is amazing.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
Incredible freehand technique. Great work and truly inspiring! :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »
Plus: the Empire AB should have had pikes.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Great-looking stuff!  :::cheers::: I really like the heraldry on the Knight on barded horse, beautiful work!

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
your is ery alternative work! I love knight of sunrise, pikes There are beautiful too, but There aren't sono much long?

Offline Panama

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
Thank You again for Your comments.

The barding is not finished yet. The eagle and the hessean lion need some more detail work.
 My plan is to paint every knight in this style. With bright heraldry and/ or detailed armour. A neverending project.

The next pics of the spearmen will be from another perspective, then You hopefully can see the relation between men and weapon better.

But as I have no time at the moment, unfortunately there is no progress.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 03:51:26 AM »
Looks great! The army is off to an awesome start. More, more!

Offline Panama

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
A very little update. I think the last for the next three weeks, as I will not be at home in this time. 3 wip minis. Two spearmen and the standart bearer.

Offline Panama

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »

this one should be the second.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 09:09:31 PM »
Very nice, they look great especially the guy in the middle. I like your multi-colored style.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 03:33:44 AM »
I love the guy in the middle too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
Your attention to details is astounding. Impressive work. :)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Panama

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »
Again a very little update. One spearmen and the standart bearer finished last week. Without the flag of course.   :icon_wink: 

But I thought a little about the background of my army. I will built a little village on an Island in a river, while I am not at home at the moment I cannot paint, so I can think of other issues. The village will be the residence of my commander. As I said in my first post, it will be a space near the breton border, and it has to be a river, so the options for the location get less. Maybe between Nuln and Bugmans brewery.
I will post some drawings as soon as I have something worth showing.
I do not want to represent one of the great areas of the empire, as I would like too invent my own little background. My little commander does not have a standing army, instead of his guard, the only non multi colored unit in the army.
So everyone else is a mercenary and therefore there is no uniform color scheme.
In my thoughts the commander (no name yet and I think Panama is not that scary or sublime  :-D ) calls to the arms in case of danger and his people follow him, what is quite bretonnian like. On the other hand he has his well trained guard and some very well equipped and trained knights, lots of well equipped and trained knights  :happy:  Dont no from where he gets them yet, maybe some are from his household, some are befriended and accompany him at war. And I think I need some black powder. I cannot shut my eyes from progress completely.
But that are just some loose ideas.
Mhmm, have some ideas for my island village, need to get a pen now  :-D

I am really open for background and location ideas. I have the loose construct above, but some input never harms  :icon_biggrin:
Looking forward to hearing from You.