home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637193 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
Klaus is amazed by the goblin and stops to look at it and hopes to see the next cage revealed too.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
Julian spits at the ground near the goblin, feeling his ancestral hate rise. However, the cruelty does not appeal to Julian: He would be happier to see a goblin die in combat.

"Heinrich and Mortus, good to see you. You found any work, bounty hunter? I'd like to see the freak show, and also watch some of the wrestling, but I'd hate to miss out on an adventure, or think I was absent when you needed my skills."
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
"Heinrich found something," Mortus agrees.   She looks towards ths covered cages with mild disgust.   "I have no interest in the freaks," she says.   "But we should figure somewhere to meet later if you are going to look at them.   I heard of a fine inn that is meant to have free rooms and fine food and drink.   Personally I don't believe a word of the rubbish that was sprouted.   There are too many people here for any inn to be free, but if you want to look at it I'm happy to.   I would suggest that we meet back at the Festival Court at nightfall if we do no meet before then."

• Members
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
"Adventure? Well I am sure you guys are more than capable to deal with this without my help. If anyone is in need of my assistance or advice I will be at the gambling den I have promised to meet a friend there about now." Klaus gives a curt nod and walks off towards the gambling den

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
"Friendly fellow," Mortus says after him.   "Well I'm sure he'll pick up some useful information at some point or just loose all of his money.   Should we contuine?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
[Fandir]

Klaus isn't too keen on being involved in any adventures, but he feels right at home in the gambling tent. The tent is packed with people, playing a wide variety of different games - mostly dice or card games, but there are a few games involving rotating wheels and similar contraptions.

Klaus decides to join a card game. He sits at a table with four other players - a bearded man with bushy eyebrows, a fat merchant in a silly hat, an elaborately dressed woman, and a halfling with a very serious expression on his chubby face. The other players nod to him, and the man with bushy eyebrows explains the rules - it's a standard game, and one of Klaus's best. The buy-in is 4 crowns, and play proceeds until only one player has any money left.

The game starts, and Klaus wonders if he should play fairly, relying on his natural talent for the game, of if he should cheat.

[with your gamble skill, you can add half your Int to all gambling checks while playing fairly. Or, you can attempt to cheat - if you do, you can add your full Int to the checks, but risk being discovered by the other players. If you are found out, you will be in big trouble! Let me know what you decide.]
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus enter the town through the postern gate. The streets are almost as busy as the fair - there seem to be a lot of soldiers around, congregating at the many taverns that line the streets. Many of them wear Middenland colours - the Grand Duke himself is here for the joust, and has brought a large retinue with him.

Bogenhafen looks much like any other merchant town in Reikland. The buildings are mostly ramshackle and dirty, but here are there are beautiful temples or elaborate mansions that put their surroundings to shame. It's a fairly long walk to the tavern Gottri told them about, and Heinrich and Mortus quickly become tired of pushing through crowds and being the target of drunken insults from the soldiers.

At last they reach a seedy tavern with an amateurish but vibrant sign, showing a tentacled blue bob strangling a rabbit. They go inside - it's surprisingly dark in the Squid and Rabbit, but not too busy. Heinrich scans the patrons, and his practiced gaze falls on a hooded man seated at a round table in the corner. The inn keeper is standing next to him, having just brought drinks. Another man is slumped on the table, obviously drunk. Heinrich can't see the hooded man clearly enough to be sure, but he could be the target.

If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Mortus will make her way through the crowd to the table of the hooded man to try and get a look at him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
[Finlay]

The freak show isn't due to start for nearly an hour, so Julian decides to watch the wrestling first. As he arrives at the ring, the champion is kneeling on the back of a very hairy man and pushing his face into the dirt. The hairy man hits the floor frantically with his hand, signaling his submission, but even then it seems a long time before the champion releases him. He has trouble standing. The showman gives him a drink of water and helps him to his feet, saying, "Well done sir, that was a wonderful performance - you nearly had him! I wish you a speedy recovery! Who will be next! Surely the champion is due a loss now!"

A bald man who Julian vaguely recalls seeing at the beer tent earlier takes up the challenge next. He makes some early gains over the champion, wrestling him to the ground and almost locking one of his arms. But then the champion breaks free, and throws the bald man with contemptous ease. He lands badly, and a moment later is forced to tap out as the champion gets one enormous arm around his neck.

"Capital, capital! Wonderful show sir - and so close! I feel sure the next person to try their skill will win a great victory," the showman says. Then he notices Julian, and speaks to him. "How about you, sir? Dwarfs are fantastic wrestlers, or so I hear. Will you take on the champion and win eternal glory?"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
Mortus will make her way through the crowd to the table of the hooded man to try and get a look at him.

The man is doing his best to keep his face hidden, but Mortus thinks she can see pox scars on his cheeks.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »

The man is doing his best to keep his face hidden, but Mortus thinks she can see pox scars on his cheeks.

Mortus is going to place one hand on the hooded man's hand, making sure she touches his skin.

"There you are Jan," she says.   "I thought you were going to meet me at the tavern at noon.   I have been looking all over for you for hours.   You should know not to disappear after an appointment like that"

She will want him to look at her.   If it not the man they are looking for she will blush and stammer

"I am sorry sir, but I am looking for my brother and he has just the same cloak as you."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:56:39 PM by commandant »

• Members
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
I think I trust in Ranald to let me win this, Klaus will be silent and concentrated sometimes he might even looked concnered as if he still has not understood the rules completely. I watch intensly for other players cheating especially the woman....a women with money how outrageous!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »
Heinrich will hang out by the door. If the hooded man makes a run for it he will intercept him. If not, Heinrich will wait and follow the man to a less populated locale. While he waits, Heinrick will scan the room for any other dangerous looking individuals. He knows Mortus will only confirm if the hooded man is our target, not engage him herself.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
Julian is happy to meet the others later, and settles down to watch the wrestling.

When he is challenged to wrestle, he chuckles and shakes his head. Julian is not a violent person by nature, and although he can take a punch he is certain the bigger, stronger more experienced champion would win.

After watching the champion demolish a young human attempting to impress a girl, Julian walks back to the freakshow, skirting passed the subdued goblin.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »
[Fandir]

The other players seem to underestimate Klaus to begin with, and concentrate on each other. The merchant is especially unpopular, and is the first to lose all his money. Klaus thinks the woman and the man with the bushy eyebrows were allied against the merchant in the first round, but in the second round she suddenly betrays him and he goes out next. In the third round, the woman and the halfling ally against Klaus, but Ranald is with him and he wins anyway - the woman is eliminated. The final round is a bitter struggle with the halfling. Klaus suspects him of cheating, but can see no definitive sign that he is. But in the end, his luck runs out. Klaus wins the game and all the money!

Klaus has won 16 gold crowns.

[I did roll for this game, by the way. Fandir got a 100 on a d100 at one point!]
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
[Commandant and Cannon]

Heinrich looks carefully at the other tavern patrons. There is a small group of dockworkers at one table, and a group of boatmen at another. None of them look to be armed with anything more than a knife, and all seem passive enough. Even so it would be dangerous to try to apprehend the target in full view of everyone.

Mortus walks casually over to the hooded man, and reaches out to touch his hand. He sees her move and immediately recoils out of her reach.

"There you are Jan," she says.   "I thought you were going to meet me at the tavern at noon.   I have been looking all over for you for hours.   You should know not to disappear after an appointment like that."

He looks at her with confusion, but then a fleeting look of panic passes over his face. Mortus is fairly sure he fits the description.

"I'm afraid you have mistaken me for someone else," he says in a distinctive Middenland accent, "and now I must be leaving."

Without waiting for a response, he gets up from the table and heads rapidly towards a door on the far side of the room from the entrance - presumably it leads into a back room of the tavern. At the same time, the man who was slumped on the table sits up and grabs Mortus's arm. "My name can be Jan if you want it to be, miss!" he slurs drunkenly.

Heinrich isn't sure if he should follow the target into the back room or go outside and try to intercept him by going around the back of the tavern.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
"Ahhh the gods be good, my mother always said that I was a fast learner. No hard feelings I hope...also how much fun it was see my hand? It is still shaking, the anticipation of winning or losing. I guess I am hooked now."

OOC: Klaus makes a grab for the money, what would be the proper way to make a donation to Ranald? What would a round for the whole tent cost me? Are there even drinks sold here?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
[Finlay]

The freakshow is just starting as Julian arrives. Doctor Malthusius, a middle-aged man in bright but well-worn clothes, is addressing the crowd while his dwarfish assistant collects the one shilling entry fee.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the marvelous zoocopeia of Doctor Malthusius! You will now see wonders and horrors the like of which few people will ever experience! Grunni, bring out the first subject please."

Grunni, the dwarf assistant, enters the covered wagon and returns leading a large grey dog by a rope. The animal's head is uniquely distorted: it has only a single, central eye. "This hound was discovered in the forests of Hochland," the doctor explains, "be careful not to stare too long into its eye! Those who do so often see horrible visions of their own deaths."

As the show continues, Grunni leads out exhibit after exhibit, each with a colourful and unlikely description from the doctor. Among the oddities on display are a large spider with the head of a sparrow, a cat with blue fur and two tails, a hairy fish in a tank of water, a singing skull, and a tiny elephant the size of a mouse.

Last of all, Grunni leads out the three-legged goblin. "This beast is the pride of my collection," the doctor says, "This goblin served in the horde of Gobaz Backstabba the Vile, the infamous goblin warlord who burned the northern marches of Kislev some years ago. You would imagine that having three legs would cause the creature to trip over its own feet, but in fact it displays remarkably agility."

Suddenly, the goblin bites Grunni's hand, causing him to let go of the rope. At once it is away and running. People in the crowd begin to scream, and the show descends into chaos. Julian rushes after it, but before he can reach the goblin it has squeezed through the rusty bars covering a small hole in the city wall. Julian recognises this as a breathing hole for the town's sewers, designed to prevent the build-up of flamable gasses.

The hole is too small for anyone to pass through it. Even the goblin barely fitted - there are traces of blood on the broken bars where it has injured itself on the way through.

As Julian examines the damaged grating, Doctor Malthusius and Grunni arrive. "Oh no! Surely it hasn't gone into the sewers! How am I to reclaim it now! Ah, wait - sir, am I right in thinking you to be an engineer?" he says to Julian, "your tools and other equipment suggest the idea, and you have the look of a man of machinery - ah! - I mean dwarf, naturally! The town sewers were built by dwarf engineers - is that not so, Grunni?"

Grunni nods.

"Surely, sir, you would be able to navigate the sewers most easily, and could rapidly reclaim my lost property? Were you to return the goblin to me, safely, I could pay you - ah - 50 crowns, I should think. Please, will you consider this idea?"

"The town would also see this menace dealt with," says a high-pitched, unpleasant voice. A small man in lawclerk's robes and flanked by two militiamen has just arrived on the scene. "Doctor, you were warned to keep your animals under proper control. You can expect charges if any harm results from this escape." He turns to Julian, "Sir, if you intend to enter the sewers to locate the animal you have the blessing of the law to do so. Recover it and the town will reward you well! I would however recommend you not go alone. The town cannot spare militia for this task - but no doubt you have comrades you can call upon to aid you."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:07:34 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
[Fandir]

There aren't any drinks available to buy in the tent - you have to bring them in from outside. The other players in Klaus's game leave the tent looking very unhappy - bad sports, all of them. His dazzling victory has made Klaus popular with various bystanders who were watching the game, and they gather round to congratulate him and ask for advice. Several of them are inviting him to join other games.

Klaus is careful to stow his money away, before anyone tries to steal it.

There is a small shrine to Ranald in his aspect of the Gamester in the middle of the tent. The shrine has a money box for donations, if Klaus wishes to thank the god of luck.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
I will donate 4 crowns into the shrine as I placed the money in Ranalds palms and he multiplied it. Klaus is a bit sad that they were such bad sports but bathes in the attention of the bystanders and offers proper advice...to keep the hand if you have two kings and that it is best to drop the sevens if you have ....etc. at least that is what he thinks it is. If there is any table that has merrier fellows than the sour bunch that lost to me I will join them in a game. If there are people that are likeable I offer to invite them to a drink after the gaming.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:13:37 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2012, 11:43:19 PM »
[Fandir]

Klaus's extravagant donation to Ranald raises cheers from the assembled gamblers. A young woman shyly invites him to join another card game - the stakes are lower, with a buy-in of only one crown. There are five other people seated at the table she indicates - all human, two woman and three men. They have a large jug of beer, and offer Klaus a drink whether he wants to join the game or not.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2012, 12:12:48 AM »
"Hello I am Klaus and what a relief to see some other Ladies "...he nods curtly towards the women "...and Gentlemen that like the game for the games sake". He gladly joins into the drinking and tries to figure out which of the players he could frame to be his puppet for the use of rigged dice/cards.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Mortus shakes off the drunken man.

"Then you would be my brother," she snaps.   "Do I want you for a brother?"   She glances at Heinrich and then follows the hooded man.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »
Heinrich moves speedily to follow the hooded man, entering the door in front of Mortus if at all possible. He will also surreptitiously draw his axe with his right hand, while still holding his bow stave in his left.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
"50 crowns eh" Julian says, trying to hide the impression this sum had made on him.

"Crawling into the filfth, and saving you being fine... he must be worth a bit more than that? [Can I take a fel test?]"

Julian, wondering about how easy it will be for the goblin to escape asks the law clerk, "Are the sewers self contained or can the creature escape elsewhere... and do you have any plans of the sewers?"

Aware of letting the goblin escape, Julian will attempt to wrap up these conversations  Quickly before heading to the gambling tent to get Klaus.

Pass the machete.