home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 89575 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #600 on: July 24, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
good omens TV definitely weakened as it strained it's time constraint to fit in the conclusion.
 I enjoyed it, but episode 6 was weak.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Justified, seasons 1 to 6, have been very enjoyable, while I painted!!!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #602 on: August 15, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »
I tried to watch Glow season 3 and gave up.
Everyone else has complained [at great length] about the pointless and needless sexual politics in it. My biggest complaint would be the camping episode. I mean, come on. A group of city girls go camping for the weekend and they DONT panic when It gets dark AND they manage to erect their tents immediately. I fond it harder to swallow then the 19 year old who was selling movie scripts

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #603 on: October 20, 2019, 03:15:29 AM »
Anyone checked out "Primal" yet on Cartoon Network's late night line up Adult Swim? I just caught the ending half of an episode. Its pretty dope. Its like the Conan the Barbarian stories/novels but if Conan was a caveman and teams up with a dinosaur. Its very brutal. Its made by the same guy that created Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, The Original 2d Clone Wars series, and Hotel Transylvanian. Definitely worth a watch!

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #604 on: November 18, 2019, 02:35:53 AM »
Walking Dead is the worst show on TV. What the hell do we have to do to get a decent plot going. I don’t even care about any of these fucking characters. God I miss seasons 1-4!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #605 on: November 18, 2019, 04:38:38 AM »
Walking Dead is the worst show on TV. What the hell do we have to do to get a decent plot going. I don’t even care about any of these fucking characters. God I miss seasons 1-4!

I thought this was well known now?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #606 on: November 18, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
Started watching Warrior (A Bruce Lee derived series), seen 2 episodes.. not sure yet if I like it.. the plot so far seems thin
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #607 on: November 18, 2019, 06:37:19 PM »

I thought this was well known now?

I can't help it! I don't have another show to watch in that time slot, when I am winding down from the weekend. So I keep watching, wishing it would get better.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #608 on: November 18, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
Watchmen is kinda dumb but moderately intriguing.

His Dark Materials seems fine so far.

The Mandalorian was cool but a bit disconcerting. I still don't know if I like the main character but the worldbuilding and the ambience is great.

Mr. Robot is weaker than before but still good.

The Man is the High Castle is serviceable if a bit cliché.

Silicon Valley still is cracking.

That's all I'm watching right now.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #609 on: December 21, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
The Witcher was okay good bits and bad bits. Though I hate that during the the bad bits I kept thinking that the old Polish TV series with Netflix budget would have been better.

Main gripe is Foltest, the books do an amazing job of both giving you a bunch to be absolutely revolted by the guy and then wed that to that he still has good qualities. The prefect grey character for a world very much about grey. This show not so much.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #610 on: December 22, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
Honestly, I found the Witcher show to be quite good. My expectations were dirt-low after the trailers, but Cavill was decent in the role, the rest of the cast was good, the directing and cinematography were serviceable, and the script is quite good; the way they weave the first plot threads along the first season was clever.

But I was watching it with a friend and he didn't get half the plot. There's a lot of tell don't show involving kings and queens you've never seen or heard about before.

And I can't help but feel that the game still has one of the best production designs ever. The show pales in comparison, but it does try.

Pleasant surprise.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #611 on: December 23, 2019, 11:42:38 PM »
As a naitive Polish speaker and a big fan of the Witcher book series I must admit I am a bit disappointed.

Book Geralt is a much wittier, more likeable character than Cavil's interpretation leads us to believe. He has his brooding moments for sure, but he is NOT Conan with batman's voice.

That being sad, Cavil's performance is the least troubling aspect. The story itself has been jumbled needlesly by forcing Ciri in early and expanding Yennefer's part to the point where I feel she's much more of a protagonist than Geralt. I'd much preffer having more time establishing the witcher as a character, than sitting through ciri pointlessly walking around forsests for most of the season. You know, the ole 'We HAVE to give her something to do, while we wait for the story to catch up'. Always a great idea.

As a result, many great, memorable moments have been cut or altered for no understandable reason and the whole thing feels very two-dimmensional. Not impressed Netflix!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #612 on: December 28, 2019, 01:36:00 AM »
The Scout Trooper opening to the last episode this season of the Mandalorian is comedy gold
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #613 on: December 28, 2019, 06:19:56 PM »
We're halfway through the Witcher and so far its pretty good. We're not familiar with the source material, even though I have Witcher 3 on steam (I never got around to it) it definitely make me want to load it up and try it out with the Mrs. spectating.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #614 on: December 28, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
We're halfway through the Witcher and so far its pretty good. We're not familiar with the source material, even though I have Witcher 3 on steam (I never got around to it) it definitely make me want to load it up and try it out with the Mrs. spectating.

I've had a rewatch over the holidays and I stand by my good and bad issues with the series. I think the major issue is that they wanted to steam roll the first two short story set up novels to get to the core 5 book saga. Which I then leave to the next season to help but the first with say a 10 episode run and a more faithful story retelling and not working in the Ciri bits until midseason would have been far better.

In general the extra Yen time works out fine and is done in a way that can work well enough it is the Ciri (and Niflgaard attached to it) stuff which really makes for the worst bits.

Also do play the Witcher 3 it is quite the game. You would add to the insane bump the show has given Steam stats since the series came out, topped out at 95 thousand active after release has managed 72 thousand in the week since the show came out, 4.5 years after release.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:42:39 PM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #615 on: January 06, 2020, 04:21:44 AM »
Re-watching the Ozark before the next season is released.
EVERY character on that show is evil. I hope they all meet their ends fittingly; especially that super bitch cartel lawyer.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #616 on: January 06, 2020, 06:11:42 AM »
Watched the first episode. Seemed like a more drama filled, no laughing, and more consquence filled version of Arrested Development.

I like Arrested Development. Ozark seemed too heavy for me. Almost like trying to be the next Breaking Bad. And I didnt watch or like Breaking Bad.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #617 on: March 27, 2020, 02:21:42 AM »
Started watching Dark on Netflix. One of my new favorite shows. I jokingly refer to it as ”Stranger Peaks”.

It defaules to English dubbed because we're in the US and partway through the first episode I told my wife, ”I don't know if I can keep watching this if they don't have an option for subtitles with original audio. Luckily they did and it was a vast improvement. We've watched 7 episodes of the first season so far.

On the topic of audio tracks, the sound reminds me of a Aronofsky film, and in particular the repetitive music reminds me of Requiem for a Dream. But where that soundtrack was drilling home cruel, tragic reality, this one drives you further into the dark (right?) unknown.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:32 AM »
So I finally took the plunge and started Castlevania on Netflix. I finished seasons one (4 episodes all about 25 minutes long) and have started season 2 (8 episodes). They just released season 3 which is 10 episodes.

Wow.  This is good. The best way I could describe it is: its and adult Avatar the Last Airbender if it was written by the guys from Metalocalypse. I get A:TLA feeling when the team interacts with each other, the humor (but on an adult level), how one user uses magic looks like bending, and with Dracula being like the Fire Lord the team is trying to take out. The setting, subject matter, and visual brutality is more like a serious version of Metalocalypse. It does not pull punches with the brutality when all hell breaks loose (literally). Expect gore. I wont spoil it, but of the 4 episodes of season 1, the first episode sets up the story with episodes 2-4 about the team forming and their backgrounds. Its loosely based off the game Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse for the NES. Its surprisingly good.

I found it funny that all priests, bishops, and archbishops dress like modern day Cardinals. Historically speaking, I do believe the Catholic church was not influential in Wallachia during that time period (or ever), it should be the Eastern Orthodox church. Also based on the years given, Dracula (Vlad III) would be the ruling Prince of Wallachia. But hey its a fantasy story from an 80s NES game so w/e. Its just fun.

Definitely worth a watch.

― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #619 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
Ozark season 3 was quite sluggish. I was hoping it would wrap everything up but it seems set for another season.
Fortunately, Helen Pearce got what she deserved!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #620 on: April 02, 2020, 07:57:05 AM »
Me and the wife have started on Fairy tail. We have plenty of stuff to see now
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2020, 01:34:15 AM »
PBS ... "World on Fire".

And "Baptiste".
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #622 on: April 13, 2020, 01:52:23 AM »
By the way ... Sean Bean is in "World on Fire".  I'm told before taking the part he asked if his character dies in it, and was told no, so he decided to take the part. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #623 on: April 15, 2020, 12:26:58 AM »
Finished both seasons of Dark. On of my favorite shows in a while.

Sic Mundus

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #624 on: April 18, 2020, 03:56:14 AM »
I think Richard Sharpe is the only one of Sean Bean's characters not to die.