home

Author Topic: Witch Hunters and Hochland army  (Read 106426 times)

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
Witch Hunters and Hochland army
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »
Hello!

I recently discovered this great forum, and have been looking around for hours!

I´m currenly working on a hochland army and plan to upload some pictures of it soon (need to take the pictures first). In the meantime I´d be happy to get some coment on my mordheim witch hunters. I plan to rebase them for use in my army. Maybe as free company with a pair of dogs or something. Burn the witch!  ::heretic::

/Wolf

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Witch Hunters and Hochland army
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
Stunning!  :icon_eek:

Don't rebase them though - the current bases are great.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
Beautiful.

Don't rebase them.

If they become unit champs, simply make the rest of the unit bases somehow fit with them.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline theVenerableThaumaturge

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:54:40 PM »
Very nice indeed. It's a shame there are no actual rules for witch hunters, though that doesn't stop us using the models. I have a couple to include in my army too, great minds, etc... :icon_lol:

Offline Blargh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »
I notice an unhealthy trend on this forum - people post pics of perfect paintjob and ask for C&C.  :icon_mrgreen:

I really like the way you painted their skin and shading on their boots.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagi fhtagn.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
First of all, welcome to the forums  :::cheers::: The paintjob and the basing is great so I would keep it as it is if I were you  :happy: Looking forward to seeing the rest of your army
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Thanks alot for coments! I´ll post some pics on my army too. Painted to a lower standard obviously. Empire is not the best pic if you want to spend hours on each and every miniature  :icon_smile:

Very nice indeed. It's a shame there are no actual rules for witch hunters, though that doesn't stop us using the models. I have a couple to include in my army too, great minds, etc... :icon_lol:
I agree. Along with sigmar priests they are my favorite Empire characters. A pity thou that these Mordheim ones lack hats!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:23:51 PM by Wolfenbaum »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
I echo all the c&c above. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more. steveb

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
Very well done! The gem on the sword is outstanding and i really like the red boots.
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
Class!

Looking forward to the Hochlanders pics!!

Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
really great job  :biggriin: I dont think you need to rebase them either unless you want them to match the rest of your army. If you made these yourself than i'm sure you can rebase them just as well or better.  I'm not a big fan of the red boots though.... :unsure: the painting is great, but... red boots?  but what do i know
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:31:24 PM by Otaku »

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Well we haven't had a look at the hochlanders bases yet so we can't make an educated judgement on wether or not he should rebase them :-D
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Shadoweyed

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
Great Job!

I was just think along the lines of having them be unit champions say for swordsmen and such within your Hochland army as mentioned above, and I feel that leaving them how they are would not only be perfect, but enhance the fantastic fanatical feel to them as unit champions due to the lack of green in their paint job. Keep up the good work.

-Shadoweyed

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
This is a small crossbow detachment for a unit of halberdiers. I wanted these guys to look hard as nails! :icon_mad: Colour of their pants tie them to the rest of the army. The militia plastics are just great. Crossbowmen, archers or whatever you like! I will upload some archers soon too.

less details then on my witch hunters
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:31:49 PM by Wolfenbaum »

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 07:37:36 PM »
really great job  :biggriin: I dont think you need to rebase them either unless you want them to match the rest of your army. If you made these yourself than i'm sure you can rebase them just as well or better.  I'm not a big fan of the red boots though.... :unsure: the painting is great, but... red boots?  but what do i know
I have never thought of it, red boots might actually be a bit strange. I got to carried away paining red i suppose :-)

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
You wanted them to look hard as nails, and you accomplished this :-D
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:23:36 PM »
The Empire knights are quite boring and old, at least that goes for the horses. I have a rulebook printed in 96, the horses are the same today as back then. WHY! The trouble is that I really do want knights in my army. So, I decided to use them anyways.

Looking at the various knightly orders on the GW homepage I quickly fell for the ragged look of the hunters of sigmar. I have painted 2 so far. The left one might look a bit chaos to some of you, but what the hell  :icon_cool:

Components are from empire knights, flagellants (I love these!) and one head from a cannon crew guy. On the rest of the knights I plan to use bits from some beastmen pack (need to buy one). The hunters are hunting alot of these in the Drakwald forest I have heard  :icon_mad:

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
Really nice blog, I like your hochland boys especially your xbowmen.
And I love how are your witch hunters painted too....

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 02:04:21 AM »
I love the knights. I dont think the one on the left looks too Chaos-ish. Hunters of sigmar are supposed to look like that.

I have a question about the eyes on your Witch hunters.  Did you use a megnifine class when you painted them or just a really fine brush and steady hand?

Oh and yes. welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:07:02 AM by Otaku »

Offline EriktheGreen

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 03:07:27 AM »
Curses!  Now when I get around to my Hochland crossbows they'll look awful by comparison.

Very good job.  Clear state colors yet still tough-looking.  Exactly how I imagine Hochlanders.

And the middle witch hunter would be perfect for a general/captain on foot.

Offline theVenerableThaumaturge

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »
Curses! When I start my Ostland blog everyone will think I am copying yours. Militia, Sigmar knights with lots of flagellent bits, metal witch hunters - it's kind of spooky.  :icon_eek:

Nice work on the crossbowmen, simple but effective. I like your flesh colour. It looks to be more than a base coat and a wash, some simple highlighting too?

On the red boots, it is a bit pantomime boy/Soho entertainer, now it's been mentioned.  :icon_lol:

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
I love the knights. I dont think the one on the left looks too Chaos-ish. Hunters of sigmar are supposed to look like that.

I have a question about the eyes on your Witch hunters.  Did you use a megnifine class when you painted them or just a really fine brush and steady hand?

Thanks!

Really fine brush and steady hands is the key, plus a couple of trix. First i paint the eye black, try not to cover the eye lid. After that paint a line of white on the black area, leave black at the edges. After this (and this is tricky) paint a small dot of black in the middle of the white. Hard to get it right straight away and every time. If you mess up towards the edges or on the eye lid, repaint this with the brightest face highlight.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
I like the stripes on the crossbowmen trousers! I can't do that sort of thing well.  :icon_sad:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »

Thanks!

Really fine brush and steady hands is the key, plus a couple of trix. First i paint the eye black, try not to cover the eye lid. After that paint a line of white on the black area, leave black at the edges. After this (and this is tricky) paint a small dot of black in the middle of the white. Hard to get it right straight away and every time. If you mess up towards the edges or on the eye lid, repaint this with the brightest face highlight.

Thats exactly what I do. I know some people use megnifying glasses But I have never tried it.  Was wondering if it really helps

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 07:22:38 AM »
Curses! When I start my Ostland blog everyone will think I am copying yours. Militia, Sigmar knights with lots of flagellent bits, metal witch hunters - it's kind of spooky.  :icon_eek:

Nice work on the crossbowmen, simple but effective. I like your flesh colour. It looks to be more than a base coat and a wash, some simple highlighting too?

On the red boots, it is a bit pantomime boy/Soho entertainer, now it's been mentioned.  :icon_lol:

Cool, looking forward to see your Ostlanders! Right now I´m working on a command group with a witch hunter as a leader and musician and bearer based on militia with some flagellant bits. I´m using the banner from the new general kit. That grim reaper kind of thing, looks kind of cool.

About the flesh. If I remember correctly it is tallarn flesh > some dark brown ink > tallarn flesh againg > final highligt of 50:50 tallarn flesh and elf flesh.

Sme of my flagellants. 10 so far. Intend to have a unit of the maximum allowed (30 I believe).