home

Author Topic: The Watch Tower…..!  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Hams Fan

• Members
The Watch Tower…..!
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »
Hi all,

What do people use for the watchtower scenario please?

I have some of the Dreadhold scenery but obviously it looks a bit chaotic!

For The Empire!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: The Watch Tower…..!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
Well it is a great Bobby Dylan tune, best done by Jimmi. As a wargaming scenario it has been contentious from the start.

Central objective and all that good but the building fighting rule for the 8th were poor and into the minutia I hate hate in gaming and dub the Hougoumont problem. Compelling narratively  but a huge distraction to the battle at large.

If you must play it any tower works. even Jenga blocks.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:38:56 PM »
I thought this was a Jehovah's Witnesses post and got confused.

I made my own towers out of pringles cans!
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »
Speaking of Watchtower, you can use Detachment rule for a little trick. In the Official Update Version 1.9, p. 12, one can find this little nugget of information:

Q: What happens if a unit that is assaulting a building is itself charged? (p127)
A: The assault on the building is abandoned (move the unit that was assaulting the building backward 1”) The two units outside the building are now engaged in combat instead and will fight a round of combat this turn.

This is tailor-made for our Detachments.  If an enemy unit assaults a building which contains a Regimental unit,  any Detachment could declare a Counter Charge action, which is resolved once the enemy has successfully completed its charge against the building. As per the FAQ, the assault is now abandoned, and the enemy has to battle it out with the Detachment first.  As it is likely that the Detachment will be quickly disposed of, you can rinse and repeat with a second Detachment, if necessary.

Remember, however, that the Detachment will be steadfast, and with the General/BSB in the area, that should be enough from keeping the Detachment breaking, as long as there is a single model left. If you also add a Captain (Hold the Line) to the Regiment, the Detachment would become virtually unbreakable. To enhance the chances of survival for the Detachment, you could also add a WP to the Regiment, and aim to get the Shield of Faith (5+ ward in CC), and perhaps Flaming Attacks (to cause Fear in war beasts and cavalry).

A Regimental shooting unit could declare a S&S the first time, and if the Detachment is destroyed, could then fire at point blank range, during the Shooting phase in its own turn. Of course, if the enemy tries an second assault, a second S&S may not be possible (except for pistols).

This trick may buy you two extra turns, before the building can be assaulted. This is particularly useful, if holding the building is a victory condition. Of course, this only works, if there has not been a successful enemy charge against the Detachments themselves.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
I would use the (old?) GW watchtower, if I used the BRB scenarios.

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/