home

Author Topic: War alter ,Mace of Hellsturm combo  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Tate

• Members
Re: War alter ,Mace of Hellsturm combo
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »
Of course the alter isnt necessary!  It just screams out for conversion opportunities and I'm jumping on that.  It makes a perfect centerpiece for an approprietly themed army and isnt as expensive (pts wise) as a dragon or even a griffon.  Its also not as good and because of that will be more accepted in friendly play.

Hans said it best, its relatively easy to neutralize the war alter if you know how to do it.  Any bloke can shoot it up with S7 but with some clever positioning you can send it into woods (with hatred you must pursue or overrun) or somewhere far away from the action.  Also, the killing potential of this guy isnt that large (unless you have VHS in a challenge) so its only real benefits are to tie units up or flank charge to break ranks. 

I think of this thing as the anti-herohammer Lord.  He is weak in combat with only 2 attacks, but against other combat lords he goes nuts with the speculum.  He depends on herohammer on behalf of your opponent to really kick some ass.  I do hope that it doesnt get too crazy out there like 5th was.  It seems that they are pushing for special characters to become mainstream, I'm not a fan of that personally.

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 10:29:25 PM »
you have talked alot about monster or character killers, but what about infantry killers? whats a good set up for an arch lector that can kill ranked up infantry easily and win in the combat resolution phase?
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Melvin the Melvin

• Members
  • Purge the heretic, the gunline, the cheese-hero.
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
you have talked alot about monster or character killers, but what about infantry killers? whats a good set up for an arch lector that can kill ranked up infantry easily and win in the combat resolution phase?

There basically is none. The point of the Arch Lector is that he's even more of a support Lord than the General, since he has absolutely horrible stats, but offers the same Leadership, plus dispel dice, prayers and Hatred.
Quote from: Warlord
We fight, and we win through strategy and determination. We are civilised, cosmopolitan, and wear cod-pieces.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
I am beginning to think that the War Altar could work well almost like the Stank in the Richtmark battalion concept.
Maybe you sit the Altar between 2 blocks of infantry, but slightly back.
It will be narrow enough ( like the discussions on 3x3 detachments ) to be safe from a direct charge, but will have the 14" charge itself against the infantry units' 8".

Given the Archlectors 2A, the impact hits might help, and the infantry block will give the CR support.
Of course if you can get a detachment charge from the outside flank then the god are really smiling, but what would you expect using his Altar.
 :icon_wink:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?