home

Author Topic: "Ancient" Stegadons  (Read 1320 times)

Offline UndeadEmpire

• Members
"Ancient" Stegadons
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »
I played a LM army the other day in tournament qualifiers that claimed to have an "Ancient Stegadon", giving him a power that in every magic phase a spell was auto cast with no rolling needed that every enemy unit within 12" of the steg takes 2D6 hits with no AS. Looking through the army book, I can't see anything, nor in the FAQ. Was he pulling a fast one or have I missed something?

Offline Sigurd Rose

• Members
Re: "Ancient" Stegadons
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »
Sounds like bull spit to me. He was certainly very delusional or simply a jerk.

Maybe he was thinking Engine of the Gods. But I dont think that is that powerful.
If opponent ask you: "What's that crazy orange unit you got there?"

Answer him something like that: "It's Meatgrinder baby. You're the Meat and I'm the Grinder"

Offline Josh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
The Engine of the Gods is indeed mounted on an Ancient Stegadon, but the type of Stegadon isn't what makes it special. The power is unstoppable, but the one he was trying to use is all enemy units within 2d6" take d6 S4 hits ignoring armour saves. There are also two other powers to choose from.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:28:56 AM »
yes 5+ ward save and +1 to casting rolls for a chosen lore I think.

so d6 hits and if someone pulls stuff like this ask him politely if you can have a look in his army book while he moves other units.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »
I played a LM army the other day in tournament qualifiers that claimed to have an "Ancient Stegadon", giving him a power that in every magic phase a spell was auto cast with no rolling needed that every enemy unit within 12" of the steg takes 2D6 hits with no AS. Looking through the army book, I can't see anything, nor in the FAQ. Was he pulling a fast one or have I missed something?

He exaggerated, the power is called Burning Alignment and is only available to a Skink priest riding an ancient stegadon equipped with an engine of the gods. its on the steg page in the bestiary, I think theres a box out near the bottom which explains all of the Engine of the gods powers.

In future, if something sounds too good to be true, just ask him to show you where in the book it is

The power does D6 str 4 no AS to everything within 2D6" if I remember correctly, and is not dispellable. Conversely the whole setup (steg+engine+priest) costs in the region of 400+pts so its not that broken, and all you have to do to stop it is kill the priest on top (which isn't too hard).

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
If you shoot a cannon at it you will hit both the stegadon AND the priest (also any crew that is on that thing) and S10 d6 wounds with no armour is usually enough to kill the priest.

Offline Helgrim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
Peggy captain +sword of fate and potion of foolhardiness. Dead steg.

Offline UndeadEmpire

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
He exaggerated, the power is called Burning Alignment...

In future, if something sounds too good to be true, just ask him to show you where in the book it is

Probably more me not remembering it properly. Just wanted to make sure it was real :p

I didn't mind, even if it was fake, seeing as how he threw it at my STank (yeah I take one in 1500 points in my competitive list, what you gonna do ;)), so I just avoided it with the rest.

Kept my unbreakable GS unit in the watch tower (with lector/mace of helstrum) for 3 turns before putting in my 35 unbreakable halbs (with WP) in. Needless to say I won, but he was excited he killed my stank with his steg, 25 sarus and 12 skinks. I told him he should hve only thrown the warriors at it and used the steg to kill my infantry, but ah well :p

Couldn't find it in my book though, albeit I got 5 army books for $10 of eBay for the fluff so it might not even be the newest version.