home

Author Topic: Show us your... artillery!  (Read 16911 times)

Offline arselus

• Members
Show us your... artillery!
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:31 AM »
Since quite a few people have started contributing photos of artillery pieces, this thread has just been renamed to a Show us...

I love great cannons:

I have just procured 4 cannons and 2 mortars, and am about ready to paint a legitimate artillery corp.
So far I already have one great cannon, painted chain-mail, and washed badab black, and one helblaster, painted dwarf bronze and chain-mail, and washed badab black.

I'm curious, what color combinations for metal have you folks been happy with? Does anyone have good examples of tin colored cannons? For the wood, I am planning on just leaving it black, with dark gray highlights and cannon-unique heraldry on the right side middle bar.

I would like a unified look throughout the artillery corp, so if I have to simple green my painted great-cannon it wont be a big deal. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:03:13 AM by arselus »

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
Re: Metal color combinations for artillery?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »
For artillery I often use:
      Black Undercoat
      Drybrush Tin Bitz
      Drybrush Brazen Brass
      Wash with Devlan Mud
      Drybrush Dwarf Bronze

Simple but effective -

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:47:56 AM by Irresistible Force »

Offline Moriar

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/martindahl2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:43 AM »
Ill also vote for painting your cannons bronze. In the real world age that The Empire is inspired from, cannons where made from bronze. Those connections are partly why i like to play both Empire and Imperial Guard, being quite interested in history.
My Nuln army painting log
And the generals gave thanks. As the other ranks, held back the enemy tanks! For a while. -Pink Floyd

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
I think cannon were often painted black to protect against corrosion, so that's probably the most realistic way to paint them. But I don't like the way that looks, so I use bronze.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:29:39 PM »
I attempted a bronze color for my canons and a dark cast iron look for my mortars. I didn't exactly succeed on the bronze, but the color I ended up with looks better with my army than the slightly green pale gold look of real fresh bronze that I was hoping to achieve.

I don't know if all these colors are available anymore from GW, but I also used some non-GW colors.

The cannon got a base coat of Scorched Brown, then a coat of Brazen Brass, then a highlight of Dwarven Bronze, then a 5 to 1 mix highlight of Dwarven Bronze and Boltgun Metal. Then a 5 to 2 mix highlight of Dwarven Bronze and Boltgun Metal to all the really highpoints of the details. For the inside of the barrel and some dry brushing on the end of the muzzel, I used Reaper Master Series Scorched Metal. After the model was fully painted, it got the dip. In my case it was Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut polyurethane stain. This is a really rich brown color. If you don't dip you could use a wash of Chestnut Ink mixed with Brown Ink, ratio of 5 chestnut to 1 or 2 Brown Ink.

For the mortar, I used a Chaos Black base. Then a 50/50 mix of Chaos Black and Boltgun Metal over everything. Then I used progressively more Boltgun Metal to the mix as I highlighted it more. My final highlights were pretty close to being pure Boltgun Metal. As I couldn't find the Reaper Master Series Scored Metal while I was painting this one, I just painted the inside of the Mortar with a couple watered down coats of Chaos Black. Enough that it wasn't a solid black coat, but just hints of the metallic showed through. As with the rest of the army, it then got the Antique Walnut dip.

I also did a wood grain pattern on their chassis. I succeeded more on the great cannon than I did on the Mortar.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:35:00 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
I like to do my metals with a boltgun metal base (over black) then a heavy wash of brown ink, followed by black ink (once dry). Finally a drybrush coat of mithril silver. However, back when I painted my cannon I used simply an extreme drybrush of shining gold.

Sorry for the bad picture quality but the colour should show up.

The other metal effect described shows up particularly well on the horse's barding (above)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
I believe the cannons were of brass for the most part, historically speaking.  Warhamer wise, I like prime black with a heavy dry brush of shining gold washed with a warm brown wash, gryphon or ogryn wash. Gun metal or chainmail looks quite good also with a badab wash and gold details, but if you are worried about historical, iron/steel guns weighed a ton metaphorically speaking, and were hard to haul around on unimproved roads and rough terrain, whereas the brass guns were much lighter and cheaper to make.  so basically do whatever you think looks good and is commiserate with your skills.  steveb

Offline Bonkers McArdle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:09:27 AM »
I have just started painting my artillery as well and am going for the dark cast iron look. Here is how I am painting them. Start with a black base coat. Cover with a 50/50 mix of GW chainmail and Reaper Master Series Stormcover grey. Details, banding, etc. are tin bitz. Wash with delvan mud. So far it looks pretty good. I will highlight the tin bitz with dwarf bronze and maybe drybrush over the cast iron parts.

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »
I did a photo search for you...found Jill Cannon...got distracted....but most cannons I found were indeed black, most of the bronze cannons were green (figures I guess). The only shinny cannons I found were re-enactment ones. I like Soths steel cannons too but they fit with his pale army colours. My cannons will be painted tin bits cause that will fit with my darker scheme.
http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/cumbria/images/cannons.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/08/27/b7/display-on-how-the-cannons.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/2b/f4/bb/king-george-iii-s-cannons.jpg
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
I apply for a show us your artillery pieces thread

Offline arselus

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »
should i just rename the thread?

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Show us your... artillery!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:37:51 AM »
Since quite a few people have started contributing photos of artillery pieces, this thread has just been renamed to a Show us...

Ok I'll bight...

Sorry a couple of the pics are small

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:05:28 PM by orcyboy »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:35:26 AM »

I'm jealous of Orcyboy's oldschool Bret cannon!

I apparently don't have many pics of my artillery, and all the guns and crew are photographed separately. I will try to remedy this soon...

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
There is something hilarious about that bret, just in the pose of the gun with his foot on the cannonball :icon_lol:

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
These are mine:

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
gamezone cannon. steveb

another oldy from way back.

more goodies from way back....

a Hochland Long cannon, made by the engineers from Hochland.

a cannon made into ship gun for using in a war wagon...

mobile hell blaster, the sides of the war wagon are hinged so the they may drop down and allow free fire on the unsuspecting attacker.

the good old double shot and chain cannon...

A Kislev battery of Tsars cannons..

an old dwarf organ gun on a hellblaster chassis...

scratchbuilt mortar from cannon leftovers..

some horse guns.....

a ships or fortress heavy cannon...

ostland gun..

requa battery of sorts firing dozens of rounds at a time.....(historical)

Hot pot...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:48:02 AM by steveb »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
 :::cheers::: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »
the pride of all the Empire ...Artillery

:::cheers:::
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:20:54 AM by zak »
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
Some really great pictures here! I love the old stuff! (Yesterday I bought some Empire models from the 80s on Ebay, canŽt wait to get started on them!)

Zak: you have enough guns to wipe out a whole city!  :biggriin:

COntributing with my Great Cannon which is finished about a month ago. More pics of it can be found in my thread "Stirland forces of Wolfsfurt".

IŽll put up my Rocket Battery too, painted in Nordland colours.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:16:25 PM by General Tomerix Rotenkopf »
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
I have a special place in my heart for Artillery ...served 6 years in the Army in it  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »

Here's what I've got painted -- guns only, no crew.

And a mercenary rocket launcher from Nippon.  :-D

Unpainted: I've still got a Marauder dwarf cannon and two of the swivel guns, three DoW galloper guns, one each of the small wheeled gun and organ gun in the pic above (they came in 2 packs), a plastic cannon/mortar on a sprue (I think.)

The only crew I've got painted are enough for 4 guns, as that's all I've ever used in one game before. I should probably paint some more in hopes of getting a massive Legendary Battle someday.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 06:05:42 AM »
Some nice historical pieces there 023.. presumably some of those are for your Burgundian army.

I have a nice collection of artillery but sadly do to my ongoing basement remodel they are inaccessible, so the old pictures I already posted will have to suffice.

My Hobgoblin Rocket launcher, its a shame they never made a model for the Kamikaze rocket launcher as mentioned in the 3rd edition rule book.

Offline Soulcaresser

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
Here are some of mine cannons and one mortar.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
those who have posted pat your selves on the back ...nice guns man!!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what