home

Author Topic: "Lasalle: Tactical Warfare in the Age of Napoleon"  (Read 6334 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
"Lasalle: Tactical Warfare in the Age of Napoleon"
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »
If you're into historical miniature gaming and like the Napoleonic time period, then check out this rules system.

This book is written by Sam Mustafa and is his first in what calls he calls his "Honour" series.  Its primarily designed to create small unit engagements, and the second in the series will be intended for larger battles.  The third, intended to be for the American Civil War.

I've already read through parts A and B which are the introductory comments and the basic gaming concepts.  Then I skipped around a bit, planning to read the four parts covering the four phases in more detail later, yet the flow of the phases seems to be a bit unique when compared to the typical move/fire/combat systems and looks very interesting.  Also, jumped past the rules on fighting in towns, the advanced rules, and the historical simulations.

However, started reviewing the set up of the non-historical games along with the army lists.  These latter sections seem to make for some interesting gaming opportunities once the rules are learned and some figures are ready.  The author expects to release some additional army lists along the way, but the ones provided for include Austria, Britain, France, Prussia, Russia, Spain, and over a dozen minor states are also included that can be used as "Allied Brigades".  Also, the lists have been set up for five different time periods, and it seems quite a bit of effort was put into establishing them.

The rules seem a relatively easy read and not too difficult to learn.  The book has lots of diagrams and pictures.  I've read the games can be played in 2 to 3 hours once the rules are understood, and some folks seem to be learning them easily in one game.

I'm looking forward to picking up some figures once the new year gets underway, and start painting up some soldiers asap.  As I read more of the rules, and eventually play my first game, I'll try to remember to post here.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: "Lasalle: Tactical Warfare in the Age of Napoleon"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
Do you have any link to it?
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
The website is www.sammustafa.com

There are some downloads that show some of the pages inside the rule book.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
Saw a game of this being played the other day.  The players were using 2" base size on a 4x6 table with 8 " deployemnt zone to provide a bit more manueverability.  Looked like things were moving along relatively easily for a first game.

Ordered 2 boxes Victrix French, yet still waiting for their arrival before I begin assembling and painting.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »
*spits out* who wants to play the french during the napoleon age?

:icon_evil:

(Well I play them in Empire Total war)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
My son would happily play them.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »
I play them in NWOL (an online simulation), they're quite fun - if you want everyone to fight you, only one choice!  :wink:
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Gustavus Magnus

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
I saw the game played the other day and it just didn't look "right" to me.  I will have to watch/play a game or two before passing judgement though.
Gustavus Magnus, of Bögenhafen; Mercenary Captain, Explorer, Spy, Scout, and Outrider.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »

:icon_evil:

(Well I play them in Empire Total war)
:icon_lol:

To be honest, most of the locals seem to be gravitating towards the British, but not me.

The neat part about playing the French is that all my oppoments (except any French I might encounter in a tourney) will be historical in nature. :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 02:05:08 AM »
I saw the game played the other day and it just didn't look "right" to me.  I will have to watch/play a game or two before passing judgement though.
I've only seen one game.  And only watched part of it.  I'll likely need to play more than several to get a decent feel for it.  However, my understanding is it has been playtested quite a bit, and I sense the maker will create a future version if negative things develop.  Its seems to be designed for relatively quick play and with the idea of creating something for the Napoleonic period that can provide a historical alternative for competive play, perhaps even to bring some GW players into something different.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
Only two faction interesting for me would be

Spain - guerilla warfare yes please

Russia - wave upon wave of my brave soldiers screaming Urääääääää Uräääääääää

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
The rules establish 5 theater/time periods, and all the major countries and quite a few of the minor countries that participated in the Napoleonic conflicts are represented in one way or another.  Major nationalities include Austria, Britain, France, Prussia, Russia, and Spain.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
For those interested ... new errata dated 3/14 is now up on the site.

Also, army lists have now been crreated for Otoomans, Bavarians, Saxons, and Poles.

I've begun to work on my French army, although progress has been slow.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
Noticed that the Perry's are coming out with some French Dragoons very soon, and just in time for the French Army I'm making.  Their Hussars arent' far behind, and those will be useful as a possible support choice of light cavalry.

Still haven't played my first game of this yet, but I've completed reading the rules, and they strike me as easy to read with plenty of helpful diagrams.  I suspect it won't take much to get adjusted to them, despite the switch up in how the turns are played, which actually seems quite good compared to the usual phases of most miniature rules sets.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20:02 AM »
what are the phases?
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
1. Reaction ... defending units take actions (about face, change formation, counter charge, fall back, fire ... all in response to how the attacking player moved during their turn)
2. Combat ... all combat resolved
3. Activity ... move & recovery attempts
4. Status ... remove markers from artillery, engineering (advanced rule), reinforcements enter, check army morale & possible end of game.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
Lasalle has been nominated for the 2010 Origins Award for “Best Historical Miniatures Rules.”

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:28 AM »
I need to get this game and some decent priced 15mm Napoleonics....maybe I'll just bring up my entir ecollection this  summer/winter
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »
Nicholas ... what you mean "bring up your entire collection"?

I'm actually doing some 28mm Napoleonics.  Victrix and Perry both make some very good plastic figures.  More painting then 15mm, but I really like how they look.

There's now the first ever Lasalle tournament at Historicon this year, and I saw one on the Lasalle site for Austrailia now, too.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »
I have approx 150 stands of infantry, 50 cavalry, 10 horse artillery, 10 field cannons and 5 heavy cannnons, incl 3 crew for the horse, 6 for the field and 10 for the heavy (or something like that). 4 infantry models per stand, 3 cav per stand.

All painted for the French army around 1805/6 incl a Division of Bavarians and Wuerttembergers and A LOT of french - again painted in about 3-4 different uniforms. I actually used to keep them all logged and organized but have managed to forget all the organization I had for them. Eitherway I have enough for 2-4 people to play a decent sized game.

I was big on Napoleonics for about 2-3 years and it's all I collected, even wrote my own rules system that got played by a few people at my LGS. Not really my own rules more like a heavily modified version of Shako.

Back in Aus i never played warhammer it wasn't until I returned to Aust.