home

Author Topic: Next army.  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
Next army.
« on: April 25, 2004, 03:46:34 PM »
I hope that Queek, Grutch and Atchman will allow this, (I can't see why they wouldn't, but just in case sorry.)
I am a long way off finishing my Empire army, but I was just having quick thoughts of which army to collect next?  I was thinking that the members of this forum could tell me what they think I should collect next, (Not Empire or Lizardmen as I have collected both, well in the process of collecting Empire...)  I am starting to like the look of Bretonnians, but I just want to hear some peoples opinions on why they think I should collect a certain army.  I know it's my choice, but I want to hear about other armies strong and weak points.
Thanks in advance. :wink:  :D
SIGMAR!
Visit: http://h1.ripway.com/TheTyranidHive/index1.html for all you Tyranid news and info.

Offline WARRIOR2006

• Members
Next army.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 03:49:13 PM »
Well it depends man what do you like in an army?  Hand-to-hand, shooting, magic, swarm... etc
A man that fights his own battles, and licks his own wounds, is a man that chooses his own fate, and lives his own doom!

User#364

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Next army.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 08:01:59 PM »
For me it depends a lot on the fluff of the faction. An army I collect has to be advanced and sophisticated, a "high culture" of the Warhammer world. Thus the Dark Elves are about the only one of the evil armies I could consider collecting.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
Next army.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 08:58:59 PM »
I am totally open, I like to shoot, I like close combat, I like magic, but then again I could do with out one of them.  I also have to like the fluff so tell me a bit of background about the army.  I am also a BIG fan of cavalry, so yes Bretonnians would be great there, but there are other armies out there with great cavalry and then again I could play without cavalry, so Skaven for example could be a option.  Just tell me the fluff, advantages, disadvantages and stuff like that of each one.
SIGMAR!
Visit: http://h1.ripway.com/TheTyranidHive/index1.html for all you Tyranid news and info.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
Next army.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 11:05:33 PM »
Get lucky and start a Chaos Dwarf army like me  :D

They have high leadership.  Great warmachines.  You can get a large number of troops.  Blunderbusses!!!
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Next army.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:09:05 AM »
Kyle, my advise is to get over to a shop with army books. A GW shop or a rogue trader matters not. Read on a bit in the army books, that is usually a good way to grasp the feeling of the army.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
Next army.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 04:02:04 PM »
@Konrad von Richtmark :
I have already done so and I still can't decide.
SIGMAR!

Offline Rathis Darkwielder

• Members
Next army.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 11:55:22 AM »
Have you decided yet if you want a good or evil army?

Some strengths and weaknesses for good armies:

Dwarfs:
Strenghts:
-Tough warriors
-Good warmachines
-Customizable rune weapons

Weaknesses:
-Slow
-No magic

Bretonnians:
Strenghts:
-Good cavalry
-Cheap infantry
-Lance formation

Weaknesses:
-not very good at shooting

High Elves:
Strenghts:
-Fast infantry
-Spearmen fight in 3 ranks
-Nice shooting (bolt throwers)
-Good magic

Weaknesses:
-Fragile (Toughness 3  :? )
-Expensive
-no gunpower  :wink: (or other str 4 shooting)
-The only competative army is an all cavalry army

Wood Elves:
Strenghts:
-Strong skirmishers
-Great archers (again, too bad they only use bows, crossbows/handguns would be more effective  :wink: )

Weaknesses:
-No army book yet
-most opponents will find it rather frustrating to play your non-engagement army

That should give you an overview on the Light armies (I didn't include Empire and Lizardmen because you've already got them).

I hope that helped,

Rathis Darkwielder

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
Next army.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 06:31:47 PM »
Thanks for that Rathis Darkwielder, I have not decided whether I want to do a good or bad army.
I just want to say now, (I have only just decided) I most certainly do not want to collect Dwarfs, WAY too much metal to paint! :lol:  :wink:
SIGMAR!