home

Author Topic: Heroes and Villains of Hochland - Warbands for my RP  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
Heroes and Villains of Hochland - Warbands for my RP
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
Greetings, fellow citizens  :happy:

I'm diving back into the hobby with a fresh approach: Small warbands as supplements for my upcoming WHFRP campaign!

Trying not to fall into the old habit of buying mountains of plastic and selling them later unfinished at a loss, this seemed like a good idea, so let's find out how it turns out.

My setting is not completely developed yet, but this is the general concept:

The Empire is suffering a period of drought and the country is ravaged by hunger and imminent disease. Bandits and worse things roam the forests and the populace is flocking to major settlements in an attempt to find shelter and food. The province of Hochland, barely self-sustained to begin with due to its scarse farmland and large forested areas, is suffering heavily under the crisis. The neighboring provinces have all but cut their ties and reduced trade to a minimum. Civil unrest is growing steadily across the empire and there are whispers of insurrection.

The major settlements are unable to house and feed the masses of refugees who have started to build slums and shantytowns around the city walls, waiting to be allowed to enter or be delivered from whatever ailments that have befallen them. The priestesses of Shallya are doing the utmost to care for the suffering, but their hands are bound by the strictly enforced measures of austerity.

The Hochland Jäger corps have been reformed and are instrumental in keeping the peace and securing the roads from ever increasing beastmen incursions. Rumours speak of a bigger threat looming in the Drakenwald, biding its time to eventually overwhelm the struggling province ...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now to the warbands!

As of now I've been working on my rendition of the Jägercorps which has been altered a bit because i found the idea of each member carrying a Longrifle to be a bit impractical when moving through heavily forested areas. In my world, these guys use various gunpowder weapons, with Longrifles being a bit more common than in other military units:

You can also expect some Nurgly stuff in the future, so stay tuned for updates.

Comments, critique and advice are always appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:33:48 AM by Bugenhagen »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Heroes and Villains of Hochland - Warbands for my RP
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
Looking forward to it, and welcome back! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
Love the poses! Looking forward to more.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
The tall guy with the repeater handgun looks a little bit short-legged, with that piece added to his waist. I'd consider thinning that bit and giving him length in the legs. But that's more complicated & needs greenstuff.

Don't get me wront, I'm liking the theme, the kitbashes and the figures so far! :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »
The tall guy with the repeater handgun looks a little bit short-legged, with that piece added to his waist. I'd consider thinning that bit and giving him length in the legs. But that's more complicated & needs greenstuff.

Don't get me wront, I'm liking the theme, the kitbashes and the figures so far! :)

-Z

Yeah, I was struggling with that.

Putting torso an legs together without the piece in the middle made him look so ... stunted :P

But I agree that the proportions are skewed the way I handled it. I could try and make the legs a bit longer though - shouldn't be too much hassle.

Cutting the legs above and below the knees and adding a bit more thigh and shin should do the trick.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:46:51 AM by Bugenhagen »

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »
Hey man, you didn't't tell me you were posting on WH Empire! This community is great, I really enjoyed sharing my works on the Empire with people around here.

Your background work is excellent, really reminiscent of the amazing WFRP second edition Sigmar's Heirs volume... Historical Grim Fantasy at its best! Keep it going, curious to see your updates!

Hagen

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Love the poses! Looking forward to more.

Yeah, the poses are fantastic. I'm getting some strong, hunter vibes from these chaps.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
Hey man, you didn't't tell me you were posting on WH Empire! This community is great, I really enjoyed sharing my works on the Empire with people around here.

Your background work is excellent, really reminiscent of the amazing WFRP second edition Sigmar's Heirs volume... Historical Grim Fantasy at its best! Keep it going, curious to see your updates!

Hagen

Finding your work on here was what brought me back in the first place :)

I'm glad you like my little fluff snippet - I'll expand it gradually once more pieces of my campaign have fallen into place. 

The next step will be a converted demigryph rider and the first antagonist of the story, both of which I still need a few parts for, so It'll probably be next week before I can post updates on that front.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »
Where's the falcon from?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Where's the falcon from?

It's from the AoS Vangaurd Raptors kit.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
AoS

:eusa_sick:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
AoS

:eusa_sick:

I'm not too keen on the whole thing either, but some of the kits are pretty good and very much usable for old world purposes, especially since Bitzshops are a thing ;)

I also want to share this sketch made by hagen88, who kindly agreed to convert a leader for my Hochland party:

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:42:05 PM by Bugenhagen »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Wow, that sketch is fantastic! :ph34r: It's almost like a concept art from an Empire armybook! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:38 PM »
Alright, next update:

The commission of the Hochland Captain is done and I'm eagerly awaiting the shipment. In the meantime, I've done some work on the main antagonists of my campaign:

Deep in the Drakenwald forest lurks an old evil that has been the bane of Hochland since its inception, but this time it's taking a more... subtle approach. The Beastmen have turned to the great Lord of Despair and hatch a devious plan to finally bring down mankind...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »
oh that's a nice conversion  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
Yeah, it's very nice, very climactic. Probably the best looking Plaguegor model that I've ever seen.

Gneisenau

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
Superb sketch! Kudos to hagen88.

Alos like the strong, self-assure pose of the bloated beastman. Really nice conversion!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »
I like the beastman and his bodyguard.  Or is ti the other way around? :icon_wink: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »
I like the beastman and his bodyguard.  Or is ti the other way around? :icon_wink: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

:biggriin:

I have yet to decide how to implement the Gnarlmaw, but it's probably going to be a herdstone analogue for the Pestigor.

In other news, the demigryph has arrived and I think its scale is workable, but I'm still missing a lot of key bits for the rider.

The next update might take a while, however, since I have some work-related issues to attend to in the upcoming weeks.

Offline Bugenhagen

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
Update-Time!

First of all, the conversion from Hagen88 has arrived and it's a true beauty. Let me introduce you to Helman Korst, leader of the hochland Jägercorps:

Second in line, but probably higher up in terms of his standing, a yet unnamed Hochland Noble on his Gryph-Stallion, a special breed of Hippogryph without wings, better suited for hunts in the depths of the Drakenwald Forest. He's probably going to be a Ludenhof, maybe a son or cousin of the Elector Count – only time will tell.

He's still heavily WIP, so please feel free to post suggestions. The head is a placeholder (I just can't get hold of this head here:
, and the reins need to be adjusted in order to accomodate the position of the rider. Also, there are a few details missing here and there - I'm planning to use the space behind the rider for some hunting gear, probably a musket and a sleeproll or something like that.

Last but not least and highest up the natural food chain, Mr. Pestigor from last time with a new weapon and a slightly altered angle on his head to make him a bit more three-dimensional:

I hope you like the new stuff, comments and suggestions are always appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:03:42 AM by Bugenhagen »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
WHOA that is some great green stuff work sir  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 12:37:51 AM »
Both those guys look just freaking amazing. I'm not usually a beastman fan, but that guy is dope.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Hell yeah, both the rider and that Pestigor look ace! Positively stunned by your work! :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 06:56:19 AM »
Great job so far