home

Author Topic: My Dogs of War - And other army projects  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
My Dogs of War - And other army projects
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
Hey there, friends!

I've decided to set up 'shop' properly around here after the old Dogs of War Online forum got locked [unfortunately, suffering from a measure of bots and very few frequent posters, if at all  :unsure: ] to bring thee my Imperial, Tilean and Other related miniature projects regarding both Warhammer Fantasy Battles and, on occasion, Age of Sigmar. I find it a waste of efford to use miniatures set for a single system, so you'll find out that I mostly base my fantasy figures in square bases, allowing me to field them either in WFB, Age of Sigmar [given the basing doesn't really matter] or even the occasional Kings of War match.

I've been about to dive head-first into Dragon Rampant, after all, and I find the same phylosophy applied to that system's design, and it appeals to me greatly.

Without any further ado, let's see some pictures, shall we?

When I first started with my Dogs of War project, I've been mostly into Borgio the Besieger and the Principality of Miragliano in general. It always amused me how Cavatore and Stillman gave him a string of victories to parody the military italian victory of Vittorio Veneto [Via Veddia, Villa Venia and Vittoria Viccia]. Currently, however, I've been fielding them more often all around the Old World - from Luccini to the Border Princes!

Braganza's Besiegers! Invincibility at no extra charge!

These have been some of my favorite figures ever since I've first started to get into Warhammer back at 6th edition. I only started collecting and playing at 7th, however.

A Hireling Wizard Lord, Lore of Heavens, Tycho Braahms.

I've done something different when trying to paint him. At first I went for a deep blue, but decided to repaint him black so I could build up colors like celestial nebulas. It was pretty simple, but I like the effect.

And a little bit of a parade with figures painted in the last week, with my current Prince, Lietpold the Black. What a gorgeous little figurine - a pleasure to paint. I really like his arrogant pose and sneering expression!

Curiously we could say he's one of the few 'evil' characters Dogs of War had gotten throughout the years although people could certainly argue that the figure was not meant to the Dogs of War, but to the Empire alternative list featured on Tamurkhan, but no worries, you can't convince me otherwise. ;)

I've also started the daunting task of working on 60 Pirazzo's Lost Legion models. I've finished 20, so I can already start fielding them with anything close to combat effectiveness!
"Are you a poverty-striken youth? Join Pirazzo's Lost Legion! Trained in Lustria - We know where the gold is!"

I've found out that these pikemen look real intimidating when all properly ranked up, like they could roll through anything [which they hardly ever do at all, being simple humans and all that on a world with demons and always-strike-first elves! XD].

And lastly, the Greatest Mercenary in the World - Golgfag Maneater!

He was quite fun to paint, despite how the finecast material being mangled upon delivery.  :dry: I've had to convert him slightly to fix the figure, but I like how he ended up!

I'll eventually tackle the basing as well, it's just that I am currently feeling quite lazy XD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:17:13 PM by Il Condottiero »
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: My Dogs of War - And other army projects
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
Very cool army. Pirazzo's Lost Legion is one of my top favorite units that I never managed to get a hold of and yours are painted marvelously! Your Golgfag looks pretty good too, I like his face.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »
Quote: Il Condottiero : I've been about to dive head-first into Dragon Rampant, after all, and I find the same phylosophy applied to that system's design, and it appeals to me greatly.

I found I really like the idea of dragon rampant as well. It was referred by GP and I picked up the online rules, read them thru and got far enough with an army to play and all hell in RL broke out so I never got to play yet. Hopefully in the new year.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52592.0
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:19:55 AM »
Very cool army. Pirazzo's Lost Legion is one of my top favorite units that I never managed to get a hold of and yours are painted marvelously! Your Golgfag looks pretty good too, I like his face.

Thanks! Yeah, likewise. I've been amazed at how an all-metal unit feature some 8 different sculpts + command (3), making for a whopping 11 different models, all metal! They took *forever* to paint, but they ended up pretty nice if I could say so myself!

Quote: Il Condottiero : I've been about to dive head-first into Dragon Rampant, after all, and I find the same phylosophy applied to that system's design, and it appeals to me greatly.

I found I really like the idea of dragon rampant as well. It was referred by GP and I picked up the online rules, read them thru and got far enough with an army to play and all hell in RL broke out so I never got to play yet. Hopefully in the new year.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52592.0

I've had gotten the book on a trade, together with a lot of Warmaster-scale figures, and it really intrigued me - specially because I did like the Lion Rampant earlier. Thanks for the link - I think I've started checking on that thread sometime ago! I think that, for Dogs of War, that is a great opportunity for a 'cosmopolitan'/'ragtag' army featuring units of many different races - which is one of the things that draw me to the force, after all. As in being able to field Fenbeasts and Dwarfs, Ogres and Humans! The Strength Points idea is simple yet elegant if you ask me! On the other hand, I've also been thinking on using my SAGA armies for it as well.

Some more units of these lumbering project:

Long Drong's Slayer Pirates!

I still have another ten of these to paint, but with a second command group so I am not so sure if I should put the knife on them and convert them. The dwarves are great, characterful models.

And then these I've tackled today: my Paymaster's Bodyguard, meant to be tilean heavy infantrymen, using the same sort of golden full plate armor as the Braganza's Besiegers and as my Venators. The Z-cipher is my personal sigil - the Prince's own symbol, we could say. The banner was made with the red and white stripes that feature so often on tilean companies! [My last name is Zanetti]

Been trying some new techniques on these as I try to refine my gold-armor making.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:02:21 PM by Il Condottiero »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:09:49 AM »
Beautiful work. Stunning. What a treasure chest of units. Looking forward to more progress on this thread. You certainly chose the right place to camp out.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:11:25 AM »
Bummer that Dogs of War went down.  Another casualty of ... never mind, we all know what, and no need to chat about it in your thread.

Welcome!  Glad you're bringing things here! :::cheers:::

I've been slowly accumulating DoW figures to grow some units, with some Birdmen, Braganza's, Bronzino's, Marksman, and a few Alcanti and Leopold's on the way.

By the way, are there suppose to be photos in the first post?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
Good point. There were photos, now there gone 😹
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
I have never been able to see the photos, either on my phone or my pc. Just a grey circle with a minus sign. I'd love to see them.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »
I wasn't seeing any of the photos before, and now just seeing the gray circles with minus sign.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
I see nothing. But would love to.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
That was... unexpected.

I mean, I can see the photos myself here right now, and could see them earlier as well when posting them. I'll have to see to this at once. There are supposed to be a dozen pictures up there! XD

I've stopped using Photobucket after they changed policies years ago. I'll try fixing them all at once.

EDIT: I seem to have fixed the last reply's pictures, I'll do the same to the main thread post as well asap, it would be nice if anyone who saw them [or not] could confirm. Artoban is witness that the pictures were working earlier! XD

P.P.S.: I hopefully 'fixed' all images, would be great if anyone could gimme a reply here to confirm it. So curious that they all went down in a couple hours.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:18:18 PM by Il Condottiero »

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
I can see all the photos. Beautiful work. Dogs of War were one of my first armies. I look forward to seeing more.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
I can see all the photos. Beautiful work. Dogs of War were one of my first armies. I look forward to seeing more.

Very good, seems my application of the tech-priest method wasn't for naught!  Glad to hear it, I've been having lots of fun despite how much I struggl into getting the golden armor to look 'right'. The brown washes help, but sometimes I go too heavy at it and must drybrush the gold over again. Been using Tamyia's.

I've been slowly accumulating DoW figures to grow some units, with some Birdmen, Braganza's, Bronzino's, Marksman, and a few Alcanti and Leopold's on the way.

So have I, been slowly getting them for years now - mainly because I live on Brazil and the importation laws and taxes make it pretty expensive to get anything imported. It was only last year that I've finally managed to get myself enough Dogs of War to field them as an army on their own right. Before I had been hiring regiments to my Imperial, Marienburg-themed force.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
Not sure, but contemplating that I'll paint them differently than the traditional colors and use them for units in my own fluff, yet we'll see.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »
All back!
Their vacation to the nether world is over
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
These are great! DoW and RoR were great concepts for GW originally and gave opportunities for some characterful army lists.

That said, I don't think I ever played against a full DoW army.  I always kept room for a unit or two of generic mercenaries in my Empire army, however.  Only way to get some pikes into the army list.  Plus adding Dwarfs, Halflings and Ogres just seemed right.  Very old school GW.  If things had played out differently, I believe there would have been many more "Named" units available to other armies.

I never was able to find Beseigers in the store however.  I always wanted them.  Very cool figures.  Again, a unit you look at and go "Hey that totally makes sense".

I think the slayers could go as a separate unit.  One of the Long Drongs, and another of generics.  Unless you want to go with the Big Block of Hurtiness concept.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 01:04:01 AM »
Great job. Its always a joy to see some Dogs of war

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
Hurray! I can see them. Lovely stuff. I like the 'money' sign on the banner! And Long Drong's are most excellent figures.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
Hurray! I can see them. Lovely stuff. I like the 'money' sign on the banner! And Long Drong's are most excellent figures.

I'm particularly proud of that money sign! :)

I think the slayers could go as a separate unit.  One of the Long Drongs, and another of generics.  Unless you want to go with the Big Block of Hurtiness concept.

I agree, I've tried the Big Block of Hurtiness and while it certainly throws a wrench on the enemy battle line (we always assume Slayers keep the 'Slayer' rule), I've found them rather slow and that you shouldn't stop to shoot if you can ever charge the enemy with them Pirates. Pistols were there for Armour Piercing and you wish to keep that -1 to hit them in combat going! :)

Speaking of which I bring some more units!

The Merchant Princes!

Lorenzo Lupo, Marco Colombo and Borgio the Besieger. These are rather old paintjobs that I should retackle eventually, the figurines are pretty dear to my heart despite I've only ever having fielded Borgio (until these days I hadn't suitable human infantry to slip Lupo in).

And regarding Slayers - Doomseekers!

These are some of my favorite Slayer units of all time! I mean, it's just an insane concept. Like a Night Goblin Fanatic, only looking much cooler!

I was pretty happy to find out the other day that I could field these together with Long Drong's in the same Warhammer Skirmish/Warbands list using the Slayer Army of Karak-Kadrin's armyrules. They are wonderful fun to use that way - I assume that these are particularly nasty berzerkers among the Fair Fregar's crew, and that their fellows give them a little berth when going on shore to plunder!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
nice!!!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
Today I have a couple trips down memory lane, as usual these days, heh.

The first one is some models, because we all love to peek upon each other's collections. This time I bring my previous Hireling Wizard (Lore of Shadow) // Dark Emissary and a three-of-a-kind of Fenbeasts. I always liked the GW's models for these guys but never managed to get my hands upon them.

So I've rebased some Mage Knight Wood Golems [which are pretty cheap in comparison] and got this neat little figure, which is a Necromancer from Zvezda's 28mm fantasy line 'Ring of Rule' [which I suspect is a poor russian's attempt at translating something alike to Ring of Power from russian back to english XD]. I have a dozen of Ring of Rule figures and they are surprisingly neat plastics, pretty sturdy in general too although a bit awkward to assemble [his robes' skirts are divided into three 'loincloth-like' pieces.]

And then there is this - this was the forum sign made for my by a friend of WallyTWest's whose name I unfortunately cannot remember [Shame *rings bell thrice* ]. Or maybe by Wally himself, who was/is a member of these forums. Back in the cloudy past there was a time of High Adventure, Treachery & Greed.

You'll remember that Treachery & Greed was a delightful calamity of an online campaign. It was amazing, but it was decided later that its like should never again see the light of day as it had some pretty complicated mechanics - like player character assassination! - that were hard to keep a tab on not to speak of angry players! It was all a very nice and neat sort of game, I only wish that I was more mature at the time to better enjoy it.

I played back then Aldobrando Aldobrandesco in the Golden Company, who I had aimed for starters to play as a simple but competent veteran tilean mercenary. However, as the campaign sort of got itself together no-one really wanted to step into any sort of organization/leadership for the faction mostly because each player had its own ideas and objectives, and wanted to do their own thing. It was great at the start but soon it became apparent that we had to compromise to reach some of the neater objectives - like carving ourselves a principality! - and Aldobrando Aldobrandesco soon became High Listener, Commander-in-Chief (at least I like to think so!) and increasingly prepotent, incompetent and shameless!  :-P Oh boy, he was a delight to roleplay. 

Every command was neatly accepted in general at the faction forums after discussion, of course - we were collegiate, and sat upon Mighty Monte Castello, bordering between Tilea and the Border Princes. Aldobrandesco meant to conquer himself an important principality in Tilea - whichever came to be at hand first, really! - and the Company's position meant that spilling into the relativelly easier-to-conquer Border Princes was much simpler than trying to vie for tilean cities with the other four factions, IIRC. It ended up that, after a clumsy conquered-then-lost advance into Pavona to the Vermillions, Aldobrandesco's failed marriage overtures to the recently-widowed Duchess of Miragliano (he was a Miraglianese by birth) he started to shamelessly forge every sort of claim to everywhere he could reach with relative impunity. He then tried to convince the Company to conquer Luccini, an enterprise that he failed time and again. He even angered enough members of the Golden Company itself so that someone tried to murder him! (thankfully it was unsuccessful, I had been spending some income on bodyguards to foil such attempts but it might have been the Campaign Team's kindness not to off the absolute madman). I admit I grew frustrated with his inability to take on Luccini as the Golden Company moved into the Border Princes en-masse. I even recall that Monte Castello changed hands to one of the other three player factions before it was reconquered prior to the Campaign's end. I think he never got into Luccini!  :unsure:

It was a memorable, glorious affair. Again, I recall I bitched about unfairness when repeated turns of inability to take Luccini started to grind my gears, which was a very stupid thing to do and to what I am really sorry to have done, for what its worth, into questioning the Campaign Team's ability to conduct a fair and fun online campaign. Again, publically, sorry for that. I was young(er) and stupid(er). I recall Wally even launched a Forum for the Golden Company to gather and write itself for possible next campaigns (there were also the Animosity Campaigns back then and we wanted to 'sort-of' unify things), but unfortunately I was distracted back then and lost contact. I assume that forum is no more.   :closed-eyes:

Alas.

I had an Aldobrando Aldobrandesco model converted and painted, but back then my painting skills were ever worse than they currently are and I've since traded him. Good riddance! He was a big man so I'd field Borgio for Aldobrando these days. I've picked the name from a mod for Mount & Blade called 'Struggle for Bermia', itself a 'historical' mod of 'The Eagle and the Radiant Cross', a Calradia that is, on many terms, more 'warhammery' than the official one. I've even asked the mod's developer if I could pick the character's name (there, he was a mercenary-turned-prince who conquered his own Dukedom, Livania, in a clear emulation of Francesco Sforza's history). Bermia was like Tilea, a 'fractured Italy' for the Calradia setting. I learned he himself had picked the name from Dante, who had an Ildebrando Aldobrandesco mentioned somewhere.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
I loved Treachery and Greed. It's one of the reasons I started my own Tilean campaign (my current one). I was Gabriele Condlumar, high priest of Myrmidia, of the Vermillion Legion. Later I gathered all of my posts, stories and bat-reps, into one thread, being here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=35088.0

It was one of those campaigns where each player had a very different experience of what was occurring, but then lots of it began to join up. I felt obliged, as per the campaign title and the blurb at the start to get involved in some assassination, and so I did. The backlash from the player in question was quite unexpected, although I should perhaps have seen it coming. Not everyone had taken on board what sort of campaign it was going to be. But we turned the backlash into a good story of the trial and death of Condlumar, which I loved. Dying at the end was a damn good way to bring the campaign to a close for me ... no loose ends at all! (I began using 8th ed rules for the first time during this campaign too.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:34:14 PM by Padre »

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
I recall that, Padre! Even now I keep up with your threads, specially the Tilean Campaign one. I must say I was eventually involved into one of the assassination attempts - not at Gabriele, but at one of his heirs. I recall that the idea appeared as a way to 'get back' without actually taking a player off the whole game, hence how it was targeted at a 'minor' character in Condlumar's entourage. IIRC, it was successful, and the Golden Company started to pooling out resources on an intel affair to attempt convincing the Legion that someone else [I think the Cerulean League] were the actual perpetrators of the deed!

It was such a great espionage sandbox at that.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
Ah, the days of "The Marienburg Crisis" and "Treachery & Greed" ... like fine wine and roses ...  I can't help posting a link to this one ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6al_63h7j_8

Being on the Cerulean League, I played a character named Ludovico S'forza, son of Bartolomeo who died fighting a bunch of Wissenlander troops in front of the walls of Marienburg (an actual table top battle played with Wissenlander at the time).  Ludovico inherits command of his father's mercenary army from Tobaro, and by the end of the T&G campaign, the Tobaroan Doge Giacomo slips deeper into his madness, and Ludovico orders a mortar barrage that opens the attack on his home city.  However, Tobaro does not fall.

Here is a thread with some of my fluff from the various campaigns ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52632.0\

(Hopefully I'll dig out more and add to that thread eventually.)

And here are a pair of threads from the Marienburg and T&G times ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,45082.0.html

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=34584.0

By the way, I dream of doing some table top games between Tilean and Estalian forces or maybe even have different Tilean armies battling it out at some point, but alas more figures to paint first!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:56:34 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
Ah, the days of "The Marienburg Crisis" and "Treachery & Greed" ... like fine wine and roses ...  I can't help posting a link to this one ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6al_63h7j_8

I see this and must raise you this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcUaTpiHgQ

Too bad much of the player fluff stayed only on the Treachery & Greed website. I was surprised that it stood about for a couple years IIRC. I've checked Wayback Machine on WebArchive but too little remained on the forum. The site, however, looks neatly preserved. Without many pictures, unfortunately.